1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the difference between dealer service/parts or local auto repair shop?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 5627, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Mar 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM

5627 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner SR5 TRD Silver
    I just bought a '01 PreRunner TRD and the mileage just hit 110k. The previous owner has been diligent with oil changes but hasn't done any of the major recommended servicing. I called the Toyota dealer and they quoted me $1200 for the following:

timing belt
    water pump
    replace drive belts
    lube crankshaft
    idler tensioner
    thermostat

Comparatively, I called around to a few smaller local auto repair shops and I was quoted $875, $900 and $1000. Someone told me that the smaller shops can offer cheaper rates because they use cheaper parts made in Indonesia and China. Is there any truth to this and if so should it be a concern? Are genuine Toyota parts/servicing that much better?

Last question is, is there anything else I should have done at this time?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Mar 26, 2008 at 5:54 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Talk to whoever you're going to have do your work. If you like a local shop you can ask them to order OEM parts. They'll be happy to do it and it will still cost less than the dealer. Another option is to buy your own parts and have the shop do the work. The down side to that is if a part they didn't sell to you fails you have to go to the manufacturer for warrenty replacement.

3. Mar 26, 2008 at 8:03 AM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L Impulse Red
    The difference is about $120 a hour for labor at a dealer.
    Compaired to FREE if you do it your self.

:cool:

4. Mar 26, 2008 at 1:02 PM

5627 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner SR5 TRD Silver
    Roland, are OEM parts considerably more reliable than aftermarket parts? If that's the case I'll make sure they are using OEM parts.

GTi, I'm a newbie with few tools and little spare time so things like the timing belt and water pump are beyond me. I hear you though, DIY is the way I want to go eventually.

5. Mar 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Yes, IMO, OEM parts part are far more reliable and actually made for your truck, you can't go wrong.

6. Mar 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    There are performance parts, OEM parts and Cheap parts. OEM parts can be an easy choice because they will fit and will work, there's no doubt what you're dealing with. Other than that you get what you pay for. My opinion is that over time the cost of labor outweighs the savings of using cheap parts that probably won't last as long or work as well. The last time I had major work done it was $500 worth of OEM and performance parts and $900 of labor to "refresh" the engine. I could have saved about $150 using off brand parts but I was planning on keeping the truck for it's next 125K miles. I see the guy who owns it once in a while and 70K miles and 8 years after this work was done it still doesn't leak or burn a drop of anything other than gas.

7. Mar 26, 2008 at 3:28 PM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L Impulse Red
    Well said! :proposetoast:

Products Discussed in

To Top