1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the lowdown on Kragens?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Polymerhead, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Feb 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    So, I just dropped the $$ for an Avid light bar, after a year of saying I'd never get one. I justified it by telling myself that I wouldn't need to get a color-matched grill surround because the chrome won't be as obvious with the bar and lights, lol.

So...what's the lowdown on the Kragens? There's a group buy right now and I can get a couple for like $165 total. The price is bordering on too good to be true though, and it seems like some folks love them and some think they're cheap Pacific rim crap.

Is there a light I should look at instead for a similar price? I definitely don't want to go ver $100/light. I'll honestly only use them for backroads when I'm nervous about deer. I don't really offroad, though I am planning a trip out west to hunt some BLM land.

Thoughts? Are the Kragens a good value or are you pissing money away on something that's not going to hold up after a year? Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Feb 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Dang, nobody? It's cool, I'll probably hold off for a while since the bar is probably a month out.

3. Feb 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    My take on kragens. Great light output. I drive on dirt roads (pot holes) icy roads etc......etc. they can take a good beating. They vibrate alittle but nothing out of the ordinary. No problems what so ever so far. They have held up in -30 below temps, numerous mud baths and car washes, no leaks, no ballast problems. They take a few seconds to warm up but that is normal with any HID.
    In short I don't regret buying them. I would recommend them to anyone.

4. Feb 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    Taqoma

Taqoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    the group buy is over I believe :(

5. Feb 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    PM the guy that started it...He is pretty good at cutting a deal...

6. Feb 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    sook

sook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    Word of warning since I ran into it - the lights will not fit between the bars of the avid but since you're talking about hiding the chrome, that prolly wont be an issue for you. Here's a pic of of the 4" and the 7" sitting on top of my avid to help you visualize.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329709352.250095.jpg

7. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    I love mine! No complaints.

[​IMG]

8. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    o_O

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. I think now that the GB is over I'm going to go with the PIAA 520 ATPs mounted between the bars. Seems like a proven light with a slim design.

Can't wait to get the bar!

10. Feb 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    From what I've read, the PIAAs have instructions on how to flip them in the casing if you run them upside down. I know jack about lights though, so I'm just going off of research.

11. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice. This is a great point, actually. I do have to retain the front plate. I haven't decided for sure yet - I'll probably try between the bars but I have a feeling I might want them up higher for farther throw anyway.

12. Feb 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    sook

sook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    Ha, I didn't actually do that - I just was doing a size comparison

o_O about sums it up tho

Products Discussed in

To Top