1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the minimum psi for a foam cannon?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Crobran, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Apr 30, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Crobran

Crobran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    `21 DCSB 2.7L Silver Sky
    Trifecta 2.0, Ionic Nerf Bars, Tailgate anti theft device from @christian06, Husky Weatherbeaters, Bed lights, OEM bed mat, Derped badges and grille bezel
    My folks had a Generac 2100 CP electric power washer laying around unused so I snagged it. It's 1150 psi. Has anyone used a foam cannon with that low of a pressure? Is this one powerful enough to get good foam or do I need more pressure?

2. May 1, 2021 at 4:36 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Pressure washer specs are kind of bogus anyway and it relates more to the nozzle that you'd never use on the paint. Foam cannons usually have an "orifice" that can be swapped out depending on the pressure. I think it's 1.25mm for gas or more powerful electrics. Most other electrics need a 1.1mm orifice. By default some foam cannons come with the larger orifice so try to find one that includes the smaller orifice or has it already installed.

Otherwise if 1150 psi is true, that is more than adequate for car washing.

3. May 1, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Using a foam canon is not just about the PSI. PSI is important, but it's also about the soap, how much soap you use, the size of the oriface in the canon, etc. There's a lot of variables to consider. There really isn't any magical answer to what to use, how much to use, etc., you have to experiment a bit to find what works best for your specific equipment set up.

Not all soaps will work well in foam canon's, and not all foam canon soaps are great for contact washes either.

My electric pressure washer states it can produce up to 2100 PSI. To get the most foam out of it that I can, I put a smaller oriface in the canon to increase the pressure, use about 3 oz. of soap in the tank, and fill it up with HOT water. Using hot water will increase the volumn of foam your equipment will make.

There's a ton of great auto detailing videos about this specific subject on You Tube, and if this is someting you are just getting into, I would suggest you spend some time watching some of them. It will save you a bunch of time and money.

Here's a list of some of the detailers I follow on You Tube:
    Apex Detail - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZOhpSAihtUBnebhY_ro_Q
    Pan The Organizer - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE0kcuDlwjfP2982jVH6WkQ
    Forensic Detailing - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg
    Miranda Detailing - https://www.youtube.com/user/Mirandadetailing/videos

4. May 1, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Water hardness also plays a big role on how thick a foam you can produce.

Rocketball likes this.
  5. May 7, 2021 at 3:59 AM
    soloz2

soloz2 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport Premium
    Try and see. When foam cannons first came out I tried several smaller pressure washers and couldn't get good foam until I stepped up to a 3100PSI gas pressure washer. That was before you could get smaller 1.1 orifaces. Now, part of me wants to go back to an electric unit for quiet and ease.

I recommend getting a name brand foam cannon so you can get parts. That's why I had to get a new one last year as I was unable to get parts for my old one.

6. Jun 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    el Gringo

el Gringo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    I have a trinova foam cannon, running off of a 500PSI cordless pressure washer, and it makes foam well.

Products Discussed in

To Top