1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats under the bed caps?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Doc Holiday, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRDSport
    I have a 2010 Tacoma DC and was curious if you were to take the bed caps off what is under them. Im looking to mount a rack system to the top of the bed rails but have no idea whats under them?

2. Dec 16, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    the bed?

3. Dec 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I've too wondered that. It seems like it'd be really easy to drill a hole with a small hole saw in the top of one up near the cab, and put an NMO mount for an antenna up there. As long as you didn't need a ground plane that'd be a really clean install. I just can't bring myself to drill them out just yet. Now if they're easily replaceable and not terribly expensive I wouldn't feel so bad, hah. I'm also not sure how easily you could get coax to it. I haven't really looked into how to route the coax, or if there's even room, blahdiblahblah... But hey it's an idea.

4. Dec 16, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    Doc Holiday

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRDSport
    Since the inside box is a composite and the outside is metal im guessing there is a seam of some sort under there and thats what im trying to find out.

5. Dec 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    i've seen a cap off,you need to take one off and look at it.there's metal under it but it's not solid.

6. Dec 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Suspension: Icon coilovers set at 2.5", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in, 3* shims, carrier bearing drop, Bilstein 5100 B110 rear shocks Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, eyelids, tinted tails and third brake light, vinyl armrest in doors and center console Lighting: fogs only mod, bed lights in pockets, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights
    There's metal in there. Pop out one of the cubbies and look up inside. Easy access that way to mount a CB antenna and route your coax cable too. I used to have mine mounted on the bed rail up by the cab on my '01 which was not so easy to access. Anyhow, if you un-bolt your utility rail, you can see the outside of the bed folds over the top and terminates behind the utility rail.

7. Dec 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    Doc Holiday

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRDSport
    Awsome thaks Keith!

To Top