1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's up everyone!-New first Taco owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ToyTaco408, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Oct 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    From what I have been told by a very senior member here, the only CAI that actually has a sizable increase is the URD one, it mounts the filter in front of the radiator (not hard to do if you have the tools and know-how).
    I like my Ernie Banks three inch cat-back but there are others out there, I think they are pretty much the same in terms of performance but price and exhaust note differs considerably.
    Throttle body spacer does nothing as do performance chips.
    If you do go the CAI route, I would highly recommend the URD MAF Calibrator, what this gizmo does is you can order it from Gadget (at URD), pre-mapped for your intake. The Calbrator intercepts the data coming from the MAF and modifies it prior to going into the ECU (truck computer). What happens is that when you bolt on a CAI, it changes the airflow dynamics going past the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor), the data sent makes the truck think there is more air going past the sensor than there really is and the computer therefore dumps more fuel into the engine. Now your truck is running rich and your MPG's go down. Installing the Calibrator corrects for that and leans the F/A mix back to a proper level and the truck goes faster. You can actually go whole hog and hook a laptop up to the Calibrator and tune the engine in real-time if you want to but I haven't tried that yet.

2. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    FlyFshr

FlyFshr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD OR
    AVS Bug/Rock Deflector, AVS Window Vent Shades, Clear Bra, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats, Snugtop Rebel Cap, Tacoma Bed Mat, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Suspension Bags, Map/Dome LEDs, Smittybilt Nerf Bars
    Welcome to TW!

3. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    ToyTaco408

ToyTaco408 [OP] Taco Life

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport SR5
    :wave:

4. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Nerodivla

Nerodivla Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2010 sr5
    Welcome from Edmonton, Alberta!

Sorry about the bike!

5. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    ToyTaco408

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Awesome. I just checked it out. I might go with that. I'm sure someone here is techy to help me out locally or something. My only concern is water/snow getting in there. I want to put an aftermarket grill(dont know my options/which one to get) so it mentioned something about a shield/splash guard..if i were to get it do i also need the pre-filter for added protection or is the shield enough to do it? I've never had a CAI and i heard they're awesome but i've also heard to be careful from water going in and what not. Thanks for answering my questions

6. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    ToyTaco408

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Thank you and thank you again. :( I miss it so much but I got something to keep me busy now.. :cheers:

7. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know about splash guards and such but I'm sure others here do.
    Homer Taco's Satoshi grills are pretty popular here ( http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/171169-made-order-satoshi-grills.html ), you can order the entire grill made to order or just the inserts and do them yourself. I have a Grillcraft that I blacked out the chrome on and I installed it myself.
    If you do decide to install the CAI and Calbrator, I could help you with those, also, the cat-back exhausts are not that hard to put in either. Maybe we need another mod-day up in benicia, go say hi in the Norcal thread saying what you want to do and I'll chime in with asking about a mod-day, it's were we get together and work on our trucks for a day, it's potluck and they are a great way to meet a bunch of us and learn about your truck.

8. Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    ToyTaco408

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    After much thought,lol. I think I'm going to go with a K&N air filter and a exhaust and call it a day performance wise. Those are easy to do but I will definitely hit you up if i need a hand installing the exhaust. Youve been a great help sir and for that i thank you. Those grills are badass! I'm going to be in contact with Homer very soon to get on the list. I will go into the NORCAL thread and introduce myself now..

Products Discussed in

To Top