1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's wrong with your 2nd gen?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dustinuhls, May 28, 2009.

1. May 28, 2009 at 4:27 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    I run across a lot of people who wished they would've kept their 1st gen Tacoma instead of getting the newer 2nd gen. I have a really nice '01 DoubleCab Limited 4x4 with 60K miles and love it. It's in great shape... it's paid off... and I love it. I drove my friends '06 Taco and really liked it too. The extra room and power is really nice, but I'm wondering why so many people regret buying the newer 2nd gen Tacoma instead of keeping their old one. Like I said earlier, my truck is in great shape with really low miles, but I was just thinking about buying a newer truck. Other than the "spending $ when I don't need to", what are your opinions about buying a new Tacoma? I have always said that my next Tacoma woud be a factory ordered brand new one with all the options I wanted on it so I don't have to compromise on anything else by purchasinga used one.

2. May 28, 2009 at 4:33 AM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Love my 2009. So many things better than my early 90's 4x4.

Pros:
    -More Power/torque
    -5spd Auto
    -Backup Cam
    -Plastic bed liner w/rails
    -120V outlet
    -Big headlights/fog lights (compare to the old trucks!!)
    -E-Locker

Cons:
    -Low seating position. Feels like you're on the ground in a sports car.
    -Weird brakes.
    -Not a fully boxed frame.
    -Not a lot of room in the cab for CB radios and stuff. Pretty busy looking dash.
    -More road noise at hwy speeds than I expected. I will be Dynamating the Cab when I have the time/money.

Overall I like it.

3. May 28, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I say keep your 1st gen, they are bullet proof. Not that I have had any problem with my 08. But I put 190k on my 98 taco and it still ran perfect the day I traded it in.

4. May 28, 2009 at 5:14 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    FIRST GEN'S FTW!!!!!!!!

...........and now back to your regularly scheduled thread..........

5. May 28, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    My '99 PreRunner was a more solid truck than my '09.
    It just felt like it was made much better and it was because it was made in Japan but I do like my '09.

6. May 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i never had a problem with my 08 BUT my 02 and 88 seemed built way better.the quality just isnt what it used to be.

7. May 28, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    My 2 gen has it's little things I don't like, but then unless I built it, gonna find them no matter what.

Personally if it was me, and could afford it, I would keep the first gen, save some funds and bite the bullet on a 2 gen.

8. May 28, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    TacoNH

TacoNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nü Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    07 Blue Tacoma 4.0/6speed
    887s, 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Nitto 285s, Leer Cap.
    All my my springs squeak a lot. wtf?

9. May 28, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR
    2009 SR5 4.0 6spd with 4300 miles on it

Clutch went at 4k miles exactly
    rear suspension sags
    rattles on dash and rear of access cab
    paint is chipped worse than my 91 trans am with 100k miles
    radio controls stopped working with 1k miles on truck

so far i replaced the radio with a kenwood dnx5120

im looking into clear bra for the front of the truck to help save it

toyota claims it will take 4-5 weeks to get a clutch assembly, which i think is total bull shit

they wont do the rear TSB because they say i have a 09 and its not included even tho my vin number falls with in the ones that are covered.

i dont think its a bad truck overall, but im having lots of problems with it that i shouldnt have with a brand new truck

10. May 28, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Well never driven a 1st gen.

But my 2nd has some issues.
    Squeaking leaf springs
    I had the visor screws back out
    Not much room for the CB
    Not to hot on the composite bed.
    Fawked up spring shackles- WTF toyota

Other than that I love it.
    Power
    Room
    Looks
    Looks I get from jealous drivers in their POS.

11. May 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    1. I don't know if it's partly to do with my lift or not but my slip yoke keeps sticking. Every time I come to a stop then let my foot off the breaks I get a "clunk". From what I understand I have a little "reverse" axle wrap. When I hit the breaks, the springs flex kind off out of wack, throws my axle out of wack, letting my slip joint stick. I let my foot off the break and it clucks back into the right position.
    2. My steering shaft between the steering collum and the 2nd intermediate has a lot of side to side play in it. I hit one bump, but I will feel two in my steering wheel. I have tried to shim it but no love. The part is only $250 from the dealer, but I don't really want to pay for the part with out looking at it first. I don't want to order on if it's just going to do the same thing.
    I love my truck, but if I can fix those two things I would be STOKED!!!

12. May 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    I used to have a 96. It was the old man type, not 4x4 or PreRunner. It was OK. I had it from around 53k to 160k. I agree that it does feel better built in some cases, but everything started falling apart at 120k.

My old 84 Pickup was still "new" at 380k. Stock Clutch and all. The only replacement parts on it were the windshield, and the PS Pump bracket.

13. May 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I just typed a VERY LONG and VERY DETAILED response to this thread. :typing:

I owned a 2004 TRD OR that I traded in for a 2009 TRD Sport. My response offered the pros and cons of each truck but I hit BACK while trying to hit 'post quick reply'.:smash: Post gone and I'm not retyping it! :goingcrazy:

To summarize, I like the 2009 more but it ALSO has issues. No truck is flawless and it's easier to see the flaws in your current truck than to remember them in an older truck.

14. May 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    drove my uncle's 03 dc v6 a few times...awesome truck!
    i fell in love w/ his 1st gen.
    went to trade in my Srt-4 on an 02 DC v6 and was almost sold...
    test drove my 08, it was a no brainer.
    more room,power,towing,more up to date looking interior, e-locker(his didnt have the locker) bed outlet and so on.
    i would say stick to the 1st gen since it's paid off. unless you have the funds or can easily afford the extra funds going out a month on a 2nd gen

for me...
    i was going to have a 5 year car note regardless so i didnt mind spending the extra $ a month on my second gen.

both very secksy trucks.
    GL to you and your decision.
    if you do get the second gen, be sure to post pics! :thumbsup:

15. May 28, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I've had my first gen for 14 years. Still runs and drives like new. Can't really argue with its quality. But I like the interiors of the new Tacos a lot more. The one in mine is bare bones basic and small. I'll probably drive mine until the wheels fall off.

Products Discussed in

To Top