1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's your dash rattle?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HuckleSmothered, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    Tjsingle26

Tjsingle26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    Mine rattles REAL bad, there is a folded up paper cup jammed in there an it helps

2. May 1, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    TBrown

TBrown Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 4WD 6-speed S/C DC, 1984 Land Rover Defender
    Engine: - TRD supercharger - exhaust (Magnaflow turn-down) Suspension/Tires: - King COs (remote resi., ext. travel) - Total Chaos UCAs - King rear shocks (remote resi.) - Icon AALs - BFG AT KO2 265/75R16 Exterior: - All-Pro rear bumper (bed-lined) - All-Pro rock sliders (powder coated) - Relentless Fab tailgate reinforcement (bed-lined) - TRD Pro grill insert - blacked-out badges - tailgate lock - bed mat - cargo divider - Rigid D-Series Dually Floodlights (rear-facing) - Husky Liners front mudguards Interior/Electrical: - PLX Devices DM-100 - Speedhut boost/vac gauge - ScanGaugeE (via OBD-II splitter) - custom rocker switches - WeatherTech floor mats - replaced stock interior lights w/ LEDs - Optima battery (Yellow Top) Fixes: - Low Range Off-Road axle housing breather kit - rag joint adjustment (intermediate shaft shifted to reduce "clunky" feedback) - dashboard rattle (foam insert) - door seal squeak - seat belt latch squeak - window regulator button rattle - zinc-phosphate-coated and painted bed bolts (poor stock galvanized surfaces started to rust)
    Figured out the squeak in my Gen. 2 center console - the parking brake! Recently installed AALs must've resulted in a slight bit of tension in the cables with the parking brake disengaged. With the brake disengaged, I simply backed off the cable splitter's lock nut (the splitter is located under the center console cup holder mold in manual transmission models), losened the adjusting nut, retightened the adjusting nut only to a point that no cable tension is introduced and then retightend the lock nut. Popped the cup holder mold back in place, and boom...no more noise!

3. May 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Idk if this was stated or not, but I found 'one' of my rattles to be the air bag assembly. Actually had a bolt fall out. Easy to get to. Just take out or drop the glove box and there's two bolts there that hold up the front part of it at least. One was loose and the other was the one that fell out on me.

4. Jun 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
  5. Oct 8, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    Paychecks Taco

Paychecks Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    '95 Tacoma
    Found mine. 2 bolts behind instrument cluster were loose.

6. Oct 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    Rons01TRD

Rons01TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner 4WD
    Mine started after a really cold snap we had last year, now it rattles when it's cold. I'll probably stuff a piece of rubber between the windshield and dash before winter arrives.

Now I have a couple of other noises going on as well. When my temp knob is full cold I get a squeaking sound from behind my dash. Sounds like a couple of rats talking:p. I turn the knob just a tad to warm it goes away. I also have a light grinding noise from the hot cold bleed door on occasion. Sounds like it doesn't know which position it is in and keep trying to move. I figure when it finally quits I'll replace it. Both of the are probably related.:confused:

My 84', 87' and 94' trucks never had noises like this I and beat the 84' to death and the 87' and 94' I drove for at least 4 years each.:rolleyes:

7. Oct 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    Karlow

Karlow Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    So CAL
    Vehicle:
    Box Stock 03 PreRunner
    none
    I hate rattles!
    You know S10s don't rattle! Not at 70K, not at 140K, and not at 170K. bI have owned four, and a Jimmy. I'm new to Taco vile, 2003 pre-runner. I fixed the door rattle, and the dying part time fan motor. The dash rattle remains! Arrrug! Oh did I mention the wind noise! Why is a 1997 S10 with 140K so much quieter than 2003 Pre-runner with 125K?
    I need a noise fix. Also are those Extendo cab wing windows suppose to detach form the latches?

Just asking here.
    KP

8. Oct 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    Crew Dawg Dave

Crew Dawg Dave Member

Member:
    Sacramento Area
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab PreRunner TRD
    FS2500 By-pass oil filtration system.
    My wife drives the truck most of the time... So the other day I jump in to drive it to the store and notice the seat belt latch has A LOT of play in it... As in much looser than the Passenger seat buckle. So I figure great I will take the seat out and tighten the bolt that holds the buckle and find out what is squeaking is and fix it!!

The Wire going to the buckle is the source. I pulled the wire up, cleaned it and re-positioned it so it would not squeak. All quite Now!!
    Note: I had the seat out and the wire was disconnected before I pulled on the wire.

Now all I have to do is fine something to stop the dash squeaking by the passenger airbag cover. I going to look at the windshield-dash contact on that side of the truck. 200,0000+ miles and this is the only squeaks in the truck. Gotta love Toyota!

Dave

9. Oct 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    Skyddskar

Skyddskar Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner Access Cab
    Mine rattled from the moment I bought the truck. A few months after buying the car I found an extra antenna in the crease between the window and dash. Courtesy of the dealer

10. Oct 16, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
  11. Oct 16, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    Yota Bird

Yota Bird Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 White Prerunner 2.7L
    6K HIDs,6K LED Foglights,Magna Flow Hi-Flo Cat,Flowmaster 40,Tinted Brake Lights,Clear Corner and Turn Light Housings
    Missing Screw and 22 shell casings in cracks

12. Oct 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    97TacoNM

97TacoNM Riding a 97 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NM
    Vehicle:
    97 Taco LX 4x4 Ext Cab
    Rampage halogens Custom bed rack
    Well, it's not a rattle per se, but every time the wife or kids get in the passenger seat its just noise, noise, noise.

13. Oct 16, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    paquu

paquu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
  14. Oct 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    Karlow

Karlow Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    So CAL
    Vehicle:
    Box Stock 03 PreRunner
    none
    I fixed it!
    It was the center air vent. Pulled out the glove box and squeeze in a large foam block on top of the vent. No more rattling around! I also sloved a strip of foam along the base of the window as well.

15. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    mlkovacs

mlkovacs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Texas
    Thunderone, I have the same problem. I get a dull rattle from the passenger floorboard/lower vent area when I'm at highway speeds. When I'm at lower speeds, no rattle. If I'm driving slowly on a rough road, there is no rattle. What's weird is that if I'm at a complete stop and a strong gust of wind comes along, the rattle happens. What is also weird is that when I slide my air vent to recycle air, and I drive at highway speed, the rattle goes away. I slide my air vent back to fresh air, the rattle comes back. I think that it has something to do with the fresh air vent. It's air volume related.

Any ideas?

Also, I smacked my dash when I heard a rattle from from my dash in the morning (outside air temperature was cold). The airbag light came on in my dash. The airbag light won't go off, and there is no code from diagnostics. My vehicle even passed the annual inspection (Texas).

Any ideas?

16. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    Mines somewhere in the dash. Shoved some black hose between the windshield and dash...no more rattle.

17. Jan 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    herbsicecream

herbsicecream Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma V6 5 speed 4X4
    Only cosmetic. (For now)
    Right in the centre of my dash rattles up by the windshield. I mounted a "Turbo Gage" trip controller/sensor/code reader up there but it still rattles. And I have a rattle under my passenger footwell. Im quite sure it is a broken exhaust mount. These Toyotas love to rattle and squeak.

18. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:26 AM
    QChawks

QChawks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport, IA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB
    My fix for the dash rattle was a piece of black foam pipe insulation cut in half.

I simply stuffed between the dash and windshield. Can't see it at all.

NO MORE RATTLE.

19. Feb 8, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    jkulysses

jkulysses Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma 4x4 3.4l 5 spd
    Mine makes a rattling or gargling type noise unless I have my heater on hot which is weird. If I push down on the top center of the dash it will go away so I'm going to try shoving some foam insulation in there & see what happens. At first I thought maybe air in my heater core or something but I've done everything I can to get air out of the system & the heat works great.

20. Feb 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM
    RedSR5

RedSR5 New Member

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    Mine is Quite with just me in truck, but take a rider with me and it rattles. I put a card board between dash and windshield and it goes away. I am going to pull dash one day when I have nothing to do and find the rattle.

Products Discussed in

To Top