1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's your favorite National Park?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by BalutTaco, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Aug 31, 2022 at 7:20 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    If you’re driving all the way from Florida, you should check out Guadalupe Mountains National Park as well. Its a great park with some really nice hikes.

Cwopinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Sep 1, 2022 at 5:59 PM
    Cwopinger

Cwopinger Random guy who shows up in your threads

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tacoma OR DCLB
    ARE MX, mud flaps, radio knobs, floor mats
    Ok, where to start, this will be a solo trip camping out of the back of my Tacoma. I have a sleeping platform build and an ARB awning with awning room if I need it. I prefer disbursed camping to established campgrounds but know this is limited in the NP.

I have a friend who was there last year who told me about the Windows trail and to stay in the Chiosos Basin campground for any hikes in that part of them park. I’ll just ordered a couple of hiking BBNP books that were linked earlier or in a different thread I found.

I know I want to drive River Road, Glenn Spring, Black Gap. I know about the Mariscal Mine, Santa Elena canyon and I want to go to the Boquillas border crossing and take the row boat across the river. The other interesting places you mentioned I don’t remember hearing about.

My friend stayed a couple of days in Terlingua so I know it’s on the rough agenda. I think he recommended the Starlight too.

The BB Ranch State Park is very interesting sounding because of the more undeveloped nature of it, sounds sort of like Death Valley which is another place I want to go to. I don’t have a lot of specifics about the SP so any info you have on it will be greatly appreciated.

I would like to go to Guadeloupe Mountain while I’m out there but I don’t know how my time allotment will work out. If you have any suggestions for that park please post them up. I’ll add them to my bucket list. Lol

BKill[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Sep 1, 2022 at 6:14 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Camp sites are a bit limited at Guadalupe. Sites for RVs are basically on a paved parking lot. There are BLM campgrounds nearby that might be more to your liking.

4. Sep 1, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    apreston1

apreston1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Liberty Hill, Texas
    So my embedded comments are only visible if you expand the dialogue box…oops.
    The Big Bend is an incredible place. Let me know if you have more question. Feel free to pm me if you’d like to have a phone call.
    Andy

Cwopinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 2, 2022 at 5:49 AM
    Cwopinger

Cwopinger Random guy who shows up in your threads

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tacoma OR DCLB
    ARE MX, mud flaps, radio knobs, floor mats
    Thanks for all the info, I’ve had the NP website open in a separate tab for about a week, still going over it. It seems a lot of the disbursed campsites are first come/first served and you have to register at the Ranger Station. Makes planning the east to west route difficult (that was my idea too).

I didn’t think about hunting season in the SP. I need to call them and find out about closed areas during the end of the year.

Let me do some more research and firm up some things, I’ll DM you if needed. Thanks again!

6. Sep 8, 2022 at 8:38 AM
    stbear

stbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport MGM
    We camped at Guadeloupe in 1986. Rained all night with high winds. Every tent in the campground blew down but ours. Rangers came at 7 in the morning and asked if we were staying or leaving. The dry wash was about to overflow the banks and wash out the road. We just made it out in time. On the other side of the mountain the sun was out.

7. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:13 AM
    RauthBjorn

RauthBjorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Of the 63 national parks, I've been to 30 of them. Ranking them is tough because I like different parks for different reasons, but the two worst are easy:

1) Yellowstone
    2) Zion
    3) Yosemite
    4) Glacier
    5) Grand Canyon
    6) Canyonlands
    7) Mammoth Cave
    8) Olympic
    9) Sequoia
    10) Arches
    11) Great Sand Dunes
    12) Joshua Tree
    13) Death Valley
    14) Bryce Canyon
    15) Acadia
    16) Redwood
    17) Rocky Mountain
    18) Capitol Reef
    19) Grand Teton
    20) Theodore Roosevelt
    21) Kings Canyon
    22) Great Basin
    23) Petrified Forest
    24) Crater Lake
    25) North Cascades
    26) Black Canyon of the Gunnison
    27) Great Smokey Mtns
    28) Shenandoah
    62) Indiana Dunes
    63) Gateway Arch

Hobbs likes this.
  8. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:26 AM
    HuskerTrucker

HuskerTrucker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    O,NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Turned it into a 2023 SR5P 4Runner
    You have Grand Teton too low imho, but you also have Gateway Arch waaaaaay too high. That it gets the NP designation is ridiculous.

RauthBjorn[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:32 AM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco [OP] Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    DV 13???? WHAT!!! How where did you see??????? what did you not see?

Hobbs likes this.
  10. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:38 AM
    RauthBjorn

Member:
    To be fair, I only spent a two days in Grand Teton and didn't really get into the backcountry. The list is weighted heavily on my personal experience there, but also considering the possibility of future exploration.

And yea, I am actively mad that Gateway Arch is a Natl Park. It doesn't fit any of the criteria. Just make it a Natl Monument or whatever. Thankfully I didn't go out of my way to visit (almost did get mugged though - don't visit at night and keep your head on a swivel!!!)

HuskerTrucker[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    HuskerTrucker

HuskerTrucker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    O,NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Turned it into a 2023 SR5P 4Runner
    My wife isnt much for tent camping, but we did get above Inspiration Point and beyond the crowd which was nice. Also went with a canoe and got on String Lake before anyone else, and Leigh Lake with 1 other guy. Those top GT for me. Assuming you'll get down to the White Sands/Guadalupe/Carlsbad loop sometime, dont miss Bandolier NM. Its the flipside of a monument that should be a NP

RauthBjorn likes this.
  12. Nov 2, 2022 at 8:37 AM
    Unresolved Taco Issues

Unresolved Taco Issues Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    FINALLY off the island!
    Vehicle:
    2020 Gray Tacoma Access Cab
    Actually, it was the Jefferson Natl Expansion Memorial before it was elevated to Natl Park status.

I've been to 8 of your top 28 and both of the ones you rank last. The thing about Natl Parks is there's something special about each and every one of them. Yes, the Gateway Arch is small, but it's also accessible to lots of people- and has some interesting history. Not to mention, the architecture is AMAZING!

Indiana Dunes is a diverse ecosystem. It's known as the birthplace of ecology! Also another park that is accessible to many people. I'm not knocking any of the top parks you listed. It's just that many of those are difficult for lots of us to get to.

Hobbs and RauthBjorn[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Nov 2, 2022 at 9:21 AM
    Williston

Williston Unknown Member

Member:
    The North Woods / New England / FL600
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Comp and Temp. TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification
    Acadia: Especially the Schoodic Peninsula and Isle au Haut areas of the park.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Hobbs likes this.
  14. Nov 2, 2022 at 8:41 PM
    RauthBjorn

Member:
    New Mexico is high on my list for next time I'm out west. Already have Bandolier saved on my map along with many other places in the southwest. West Texas too, I'd like to see Big Bend and Guadalupe.

Good note on the accessibility, I just prefer parks with amazing natural features and and extensive backcountry to get off the beaten path. Gateway Arch is none of that.

Indiana Dunes though, ecology aside its a small park with industry always visible along the shoreline.

I enjoyed visiting all the national parks I've been to, but some are in a different league than others.

15. Nov 9, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I just made reservations to camp at Dry Tortugas. There was a single spot left for the camp gear aboard the ferry, so I took it. Looking forward to spending a night out there and will probably qualify as my most "remote" campsite if you consider distance from civilization and not proximity to a few other campers.

Hobbs, HuskerTrucker, stbear and 2 others like this.
  16. Nov 10, 2022 at 1:23 PM
    tacomaexploration

tacomaexploration Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 white Tacoma off-road
  17. Nov 10, 2022 at 2:07 PM
    khaki2020offroad

khaki2020offroad In the woods, an ambulance, Or on the couch.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Great Lakes
    Vehicle:
    2020 QS DCLB OffRoad
    Butt indentations
    I cant make anyone love indiana dunes national park but… the thing that makes it special is the science.

Ecology was “found” here. The idea of succession was discovered in the dune and swale ranges. I think its important. But its a checkerboard park that is spread out amongst steel mills now.

I've worked in 5 national parks as a ranger now so each is special for its own unique way.

18. Nov 10, 2022 at 2:22 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Mount Rainier...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Hobbs, stbear and BalutTaco[OP] like this.
  19. Nov 10, 2022 at 2:31 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Crater Lake...
    [​IMG]

ricphoto, Hobbs, Williston and 3 others like this.
  20. Dec 12, 2022 at 4:37 PM
    perlhammer

perlhammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Smokey Mountains is criminally low on this list. What a spectacular and beautiful place! Definitely gets crowded in the 'main' parts of the park, but the backcountry is remote and wild and wonderful.

Hobbs and RauthBjorn[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top