1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Backspacing and Offset Info

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tcBob, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    Deepseatacoma

Deepseatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    none yet
    where is the best place to get spacers. I bought the M/T Deegan 38 pro (16x8"/6x5.5). I have a 3" lift and want to rock 285/75. I here the 1.25" Spidertraxx spacers is good to go. if I get that am I going to be good to go or am I going to need to do more?

2. Jun 8, 2015 at 5:22 PM
    Yoda's TRD

Yoda's TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    This site has a pretty cool calculator, you can put in your original wheel size, and the specs for the (possible) new wheel, and it will show you the difference:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

3. Jun 18, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    Deepseatacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    none yet
    I was told by 4wheel parts.com that I couldn't fit an aftermarket 16" wheel on my 2015 Tacoma. I would have to go with a 17". Is that true? If not what are the measurements of the 16" wheel do I need to get? Do I need a spacer?

4. Jun 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    Just Chill

Just Chill #1 H8r

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport
    Expedition One bumper, OME 2.5", Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Prinsu roof racks
    The search function on this site is garbage. Anyway, why do 17x9 wheels with 5" backspacing (Dick Cepek Gunmetal Grey 7) and 285/70/17 tires (ST Maxx) seem so rare on here? Anybody think I'll have any issues besides having to trim the rear of the wheel well a bit?

5. Jun 26, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    Deepseatacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    none yet
    dude I don't know but more I read 17inch rims are a pain in the ass. I am going 265/75/16 with 1.25 in spacers. those tires are damn near the same size as 285/70 bit little thinner so causes left drama.

6. Jun 27, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    N8Dawg34

N8Dawg34 Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hello Everyone,
    I as the title says I am about to take the plunge and pony up on a new setup. I know I want to get the sst rock warrior 3"/1" just want to verify I get the right wheels and tires.

The rims will be the Fuel Pump 18X9-D515 just not totally sure with backspacing and offset options:
    Part Number Finish Size Bolt Pattern Bolt Pattern Bore Offset BSM (in)
    D51518909850 BD -Black Matte 18X9 6x135 6x139.7 106.40 01 5.000
    D51518909855 BD -Black Matte 18X9 6x135 6x139.7 106.40 14 5.500
    D51518909857 BD -Black Matte 18X9 6x135 6x139.7 106.40 20 5.750

Tires will be Nitto Terra Grappler G2's 275/65-18

Thanks!

7. Jun 29, 2015 at 3:39 AM
    cartage1

cartage1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland, Oh
    Vehicle:
    TRD, Sport
    Ok, after reading the whole thread, I had to volley the question anyway.

2015 trd sport, I want to go with 265 70 17's (nitto trail grappler) on a -12 offset/4.53 back spacing motto metal 951.

Any UCA rubbing?

Went bigger on a 4Runner and the rubbing was terrible, and don't want to do the same.

Thx in advance, and what a great knowledge base here.., almost too much ! : D

- Matt

8. Jul 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    cartage1

cartage1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland, Oh
    Vehicle:
    TRD, Sport
    No answer, but in case anyone views the thread,and the info helps...stayed with 265 65 17 and rubs while backing, but nothing that can't be easily trimmed.

-12 offset & 265 65 70, slight rub, but completely acceptable. After I wear these out, I will go with a 3" lift and bigger tire.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

9. Jul 10, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Moving all the time
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD-OR
    Tinted windows, Plasti-dipped emblems (black), white 2011 grill w plasti derped white toyota emblem, Weathertech dontfits; Clarion HU, Hertz-165 Coax, Alpine 500w mono to 8" JL 3w3, Wet Okeles, CBI sliders, Eibach/5100's @0.85 in front, Dakar leaves and OME shocks in rear, Leer topper.
    Anyone know if an alignment is needed if you change wheels? I assume so, but I'm anxious and it'd help with the logistics of getting a bunch of things done w the truck.

Im going from Trd offroad stock wheels 5.25bs, -32offset, 16x7, and I'm going to the scs f5 16x8 0 offset, with 4.5 bs.

10. Jul 13, 2015 at 8:52 AM
    Just Chill

Just Chill #1 H8r

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport
    Expedition One bumper, OME 2.5", Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Prinsu roof racks
    I went ahead and made the jump from 265/65/17 tires to 285/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx with Dick Cepek Gunmetal 7 9" wheels. I removed the front mud flaps and trimmed the interior portion of the wheel well a bit. It no longer rubs when turning and hitting a dip/bump at the same time. However, I think I'll need to do a body mount chop before doing serious off roading. Just wanted to let other members see another example of this size combo for the TRD Sport with 17" wheels.

11. Jul 18, 2015 at 7:51 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    No alignment needed with just wheel change, size, offset, etc.

CC

12. Jul 18, 2015 at 8:49 PM
    01TacomaV6

01TacomaV6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    01 Super White Tacoma PreRunner TRD SR5 DC
    Westin Nerf Bars Plasti-dipped nerf bars, bumpers, grill and surround, fender flares, badges 3" Toytec lift-5100s/Eibach coils/add-a-leaf 2014 TRD OR Wheels
    Why would adding spacers or increasing backspacing cause wheels to rub more than stock?

13. Jul 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    The further out the wheel, the longer the arc is from steering lock to lock.
    Pivot a pencil 90° and the arc is maybe 8" long +/-
    Pivot a yardstick 90° and the arc is 3' long +/-
    Now imagine your wheel at the arc end
    Hope that helps, a picture would be better

CC

14. Jul 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Oh, and adding spacers is equivalent to Decreasing backspacing

CC

15. Jul 18, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    01TacomaV6

01TacomaV6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    01 Super White Tacoma PreRunner TRD SR5 DC
    Westin Nerf Bars Plasti-dipped nerf bars, bumpers, grill and surround, fender flares, badges 3" Toytec lift-5100s/Eibach coils/add-a-leaf 2014 TRD OR Wheels
    OK, thanks! Decrease the backspacing is what I meant, haha. The mental diagram helps.

16. Jul 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Good, glad it was understandable.

CC

01TacomaV6[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jul 21, 2015 at 9:01 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    17x8.5
    0 offset
    4.5" backspacing

Will these wheels fit without rubbing anything?

18. Jul 23, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    crunchy11

crunchy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North CA
    Vehicle:
    stock(too stock) 13 trd
    seat stains
    I'm glad to see there are plenty of people like me, confused about all this wheel stuff. Can't believe buying new wheels is this difficult, oh well back to reading.

belrose likes this.
  19. Jul 24, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    @TheFang
    I'm surprised some JackAss hasn't jumped on this one yet, guess I'll do it.
    You'll never have a problem with those "WHEELS" rubbing anything. They will give you a rough ride tho.
    The problem would/could arise if you mount a "TIRE" on 'em, that is to large.
    But tires will soften the ride. :D
    By reducing the backspacing from the stock 5.5" for 4.5", you move a wide tire, outward, 1" away from the UCA, reducing the chance of rubbing it. But.....
    in doing so, you increase the arc of the wheel/tire from steering lock to lock. See my post #673 above.
    The larger the tire diameter (Not Width, tho also relevant), the more you add to the overall distance of the arc.
    A outer edge of a wider Tire will also increase the arc
    A drawing would be best, but I've not found one, nor taken the time to make one
    If you lift your vehicle, you effectively move the tire "down" out of the wheelwell by the distance of the lift.
    In theory, you move the tire's horizontal diameter down away from the rubbing points.
    But that may not eliminate rubbing if the Suspension is articulated.
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you size "A" will not rub and size "B" will, tho there are some here who can.
    I am running Firestone Destination A/T - LT275/70R17 tires mounted on 17"x 8" w/4.5 BS (0mm Offset) with a 2.5" lift.
    I also run Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 snow tires mounted on the stock TRD Sport 17"x 7.5" Wheel w/5.5" BS (30mm Offset) with a 1" Wheel Spacer, creating 4.5" BS and the lift.
    Above tire demensions, respectively:
    Diam: 32.2" / 32.1"
    Sect Width: 11" / 10"
    Tread Width: 8.4" / 8"
    Both of these setups are close to rubbing my aftermarket Husky Mudflaps. Real Close.
    Keep in mind that any tire size from different manufacturers, will not be exactly the same.
    I always suggest reading to educate yourself as opposed to asking, "will this work"?.
    What happens is, 100 well intentioned members, will give you 100 different answers,
    and not one, may work for you.
    Enough questions and answers and you end up with everyone else's truck and not your own.
    I made some drawings for myself, to understand Offset and Backspacing, here, if you're interested.
    Also, good info at rimsntires dot com Wheel / Tire Size Comparer
    Lets you plug in two different wheel and tire specs and compare side by side.
    Think that cover most of my knowledge on the subject and I hope it's of help.

@crunchy11
    The links in, and the above reply are for both of you.
    Good luck with your educations and searches
    There's plenty of info out there and the "Search Function" is your friend

CC

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  20. Jul 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    crunchy11

crunchy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North CA
    Vehicle:
    stock(too stock) 13 trd
    seat stains
    Thanks for the information, I have been reading and using the search function. Normally I would just go to a shop or just buy whatever, however the wheels I'm after are no longer being manufactured and I would like to protect my truck and get a wheel that won't cause me issues. From my reaserch I've came to the conclusion that these wheels with my 3 inch lift and 285/70r18 should work just fine

18x9
    Boltpattern: 6x5.5
    Offset: -12
    Backspacing: 4.53

To Top