1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Backspacing?

Discussion in 'ICON Vehicle Dynamics' started by B Real1706, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mar 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    B Real1706

B Real1706 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    MASS
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport
    im in the process of purchasing a stage 2 set up with extended travel and total chaos uca's for my 2014 dbl cab taco. Looking to get the same stance an look as the icon 2012 taco that was forsale with the 285/70r17 wheels. on the icon website it says that the wheels recommended are "285/75R16, wheel 16X8 with 5" back spacing." im interested in getting the wheels in the link at the bottom of the post but i seen on a different website the 17" wheel backspace for these are for either 17x8 4.881" or 17x9 4.527" . ive seen them on other tacos on this website but looking to reach out to Icon since its your product and want to get to see if they work. thanks for your time

http://www.kmcwheels.com/wheels/XD811/XD8117?year=2014&make=Toyota&model=Tacoma 4WD

2. Mar 31, 2014 at 1:54 PM
    Biznitch15

Biznitch15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    José
    Los Angeles/San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    None Yet
    I'm looking for the stage 5 setup. I've emailed icon directly about tire size a while back. 285/70/17 vs 285/75/16 is basically the same thing. Search tire size calculator on this site and you'll see for yourself. I also talked to SDHQ off-road and they recommend the 17x9 with a 285/70/17 setup. They told me the -12 offset would be best as per their recommendation.

3. Apr 1, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Yup!,

Any backspacing of 5" or under will work with pretty much any suspension set-up.

DistortedAxis likes this.
  4. Apr 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    icon_rep

icon_rep ICON Vehicle Dynamics Vendor

Member:
    Riverside, CA

My apologies for missing this.....our recommendation online is the smallest wheel and largest tire for easy installation with out major modification. You can def go up in wheel diameter or use a different tire size of comparable height. Regarding back spacing we prefer 5" for the best fitment. Looking at what you mentioned about backspacing on the wheel you want that will push it out just a little bit. The lower the number the further out the wheel will go.

5. Apr 3, 2014 at 3:19 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a stage 4 set-up. Why 285 75 16? I'd like to keep my flaps and not trim anything. I figure I'll keep the stock wheels for a bit since the suspension is a decent chunk of change.

6. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    That is just a good size that looks proportional on the truck. Wheel diameter can be what you want that is the smallest that fit on these trucks. You may want to go slightly smaller in tire size based on what you said above, but again that 285 /75 looks darn good on the truck! (the flaps would likely have to be removed and minor plastic trimming)

7. Apr 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    It does look good. What rubs first and how hard do you have to push the vehicle before things rub? I was thinking that 265/75/16 wouldn't rub. Can I go wider and not rub?

8. Apr 10, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Well we are talking near bottom out. The height can hit the top of the fender well. Regarding the width that should work fine when you go wider you just need to make sure you clearance for turning and as far as off road unless you stuff the front end with the wheel turned sharp you will be fine. If you do there is a chance of getting the tire into the bottom corner of the fender. Not usually sonething that will do major damage or anything but you might tweak the bottom inside edge. (Not outside on the visual body)

9. Apr 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stage 4 bought + some OME rear springs. I don't have it yet since the OME's are on backorder. It's hard for me to imagine pushing my DD so hard that I'd hit the wheel on the top of the inner fender...maybe when I was in my 20's. That was a long time ago. I really want the new SCS SR8 wheels, but they've been delayed too until June. All this waiting... The SR8 is 17x8.5 with 4.5" of BS. I think it would look good with some 285/75's.

10. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    That sounds like a killer set up!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top