1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Bearing Nut

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by webb323, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Dec 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    webb323

webb323 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 Regular Cab
    I dont know how many of you have had to replace wheel bearings on your 1st gens, but the nut on the back of them is a real SOB. I ordered a tool to get it off and put the new one on...It broke within 2 seconds. I got really pissed off and tried welding things onto the tool, but it wouldnt work. I looked around for a different tool, and couldnt find one worth a damn. So I just made one. I went to a local wrought iron shop and picked up a small piece of 1/4 inch plate steel for $2. Then I went to Fastenal and got 4 allen head bolts that were supposed to be stronger than grade 8 bolts. These bolts were just a little bigger than the wholes in the nut, so I ground them down a little and also cut them shorter to it would be less apt to break. I put the nut on the steel and traced the holes. I took a jigsaw with metal blades and cut the circle out, then I ground it down into a better circle with a wheels grinder and drilled the holes out. I drilled the holes with a hand drill, but a drill press would be much better to use. I then welded the bolts into the holes from the top and bottom. After that I still needed a way to turn the tool with my impact, so I found an old 1/2 drive 13/16 socket and ground the chrome off of it and welded it to the top of the tool. My tool held up incredibly and did not even think about bending much less breaking. I figured I would tell TW about this so you guys could do this if you encountered the problem and I would also be interested in hearing stories of how you guys got around these damn nuts. Ill try and post so pictures here in the next couple of days of my tool.

To Top