1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Bearing question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tylerm5000, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    On the first generation Tacoma, can you still have a wheel bearing going out if the wheel still spins freely with no camber movement? My truck has a terrible clunk when I turn the wheel and it rides extremely rough. It has a vibration that shakes the hood, bed, seat... It is very difficult to isolate.

The rack and pinion is new, with a new rack guide. The tie-rods (inner and outer) are all new. There are new ball joints and brakes. I have checked and torqued it all to spec.

The sound is coming from the right front wheel hub area. It also makes a terrible grinding noise that you cannot hear in the video. And, if you notice, it does it when transitioning from reverse to forward. However, the truck doesn't have to roll backward and then forward to make the clunk. It clunks when I am turning the wheel. It happens a lot when I am in parking lots and there are rain catch basins or driveways into parking lots. It also makes the noise when pulling into a parking space and straightening out the wheels.

2. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    A terrible grinding noise you cannot hear? How does that work?

3. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
  4. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Ah that makes much more sense now. It sounds to me like a broken sway bar link... Get under there and check both ends of that sway bar. It'll thunk whenever you hit the smallest of bumps or your front susp. moves at all.

5. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a lot! That is what I get for buying 25 dollar sway bar links. I think that is what it is. If not, I have no idea. I would rather do a wheel bearing overhaul than live with that terrible noise.

6. Jul 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Guess what? It isn't the sway bar links. I have positively isolated the clunk-grind with my stethoscope to the hub area.

Now I have to change the wheel bearings. I need to buy a press.

7. Jul 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    a shop would be able to press them in for you for a fair price, just bring the hub and bearings in

8. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I should've posted that with the disclaimer that I have never ever been right in diagnosing a mechanical problem the first time.

Products Discussed in

To Top