1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wheel bearing?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Loudon, Tn
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4X4, 5 spd, 2.7 ltr
    Deck plate mod, intake silencer removed, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, debadged, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75R16. Flowmaster knock-off muffler!
    im might be taking my taco in to make sure that the sound im hearing is the wheel bearing. before i spend the money on fixing the wheel bearing & that not being what is wrong! ive got the prices from toyota dealership on what i will need, but im not sure if i will need the seals or not, thats my question. do i need these seals when i do this? i would say that i do, but im not sure! thanks!

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    The seals are just dust covers, they shouldnt need replacing. The bearing is sealed. I am not going to change mine out. I have to replace this weekend. Look for a writeup next week.

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    Coolidge

Coolidge Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    King coilovers frt +3". Bilstein 5100 shocks rear w/AAL, K&N FIPK, Magnablow exhaust, Billet grill, clear corner lights, Sony stereo, JBL, Sub etc.
    The bearings are pressed in. 9/10 the seals get f'd-up and need replace. They are cheap compared to the bearings. Get the seals & bearings if you do this. Do it right. do it once

4. Apr 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    So yea. The bearing had to be pressed and the seal had to be cut to get it out of there. New bearing $100, new seal $16 and labor for pressing $105

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    :eek:

6. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    swdockter

swdockter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    2" lift, 5100s, AAL, K&N, Deck Plate, 375K and counting
    got to love it. 10 minutes to press a bearing on for $105...son of a.....

makes one want to buy a Harbor Freight press, doesn't it?

7. Apr 8, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yea they "have" to charge for a full hour even if it takes 5 seconds. Carquest can do it for $55 but the two times I had the bearing assembly off, they didnt have anyone available that knew how to press it so I took it to the Toyota stealership.

Oh, this is what the bad bearing sounded like on my truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL1dl_M0Nxs

8. Apr 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    swdockter

swdockter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    2" lift, 5100s, AAL, K&N, Deck Plate, 375K and counting
    yikes :) That's nasty. I better check mine. I have darn near 170K on mine. Factory ball joints, u-joints, bearings, etc....

I found a guy at Napa who will press bearings on and off for $10. I usually give him $20. Rebuilding two dana 60s and replacing all the bearings and races. I'd go broke at even $55 a bearing.

9. Apr 8, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    My car had a couple bearings in the track crumble. When they broke, they locked up my front wheel for about a second. When they caused my wheel to seize, the bearing case pretty much welded itself to my spindle due to the sudden stop and the intense heat. It cost me a new wheel spindle, a new bearing and about two hours of using some sort of grinder to grind through the bearing to attempt to reuse the spindle.

Products Discussed in

To Top