1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel corrosion on 2006

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PRS, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Nov 19, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    PRS

PRS [OP] Member

Member:
    2006 4wd ext cab: I rotated my wheels/tires. Before I got started I noticed all four wheels were corroding with the finish blistering. Then after I had the lug nusts off the wheels were corroded to the flanges -- BIG TIME! I had to get a long heavy logging chain and whip-pull those suckers off the flanges -- glad I was not out in the deep woods with a flat!

I did the rotation and re-install, but what should I do to keep them from corrode-welding back onto the flanges again? I may have to buy new rims and just cut the wire to the TPS receiver. Noticing frame rust too, what's up with Toyota and this rust/corrosion stuff?

prs

2. Nov 19, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    PRS

PRS [OP] Member

Member:
    '06 6cyl

I usually have a local garage change my oil, but the past three times I have done it. I always made such a danged mess because the the remote oil filter base with the up right filter drains out old oil when I tilt it off the base. The base has that collection pool thing around the bottom, but its too small to hold all the excess and oil spills down on the garage floor. Then there is that pool of nasty oil in the collection collar around the bottom of the base. Today I had a Mitey-Vac ready to pull the oil out of the collection base, but cleaning that up is no holiday. There must be some method to the madness of this design -- how is supposed to be done?

prs

3. Nov 19, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
  4. Nov 19, 2008 at 8:01 PM
    PRS

PRS [OP] Member

Member:
    My 20# sledge hammer would not budge them. A loop of heavy log chain through the spokes and then slapped down violently will bring them off or break them. I thought about antisieze or similar, but have not seen that done --- guess I don't get out enough these days...

prs

To Top