1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Cylinder

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kcthode, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Mar 2, 2022 at 4:43 PM
    kcthode

kcthode [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Blue Tacoma TRD
    3" lift and 33's
    Hey everyone,

So, a couple weeks ago I replaced both wheel cylinders and I'm starting to leak fluid pretty quickly. I'm assuming I tightened the nut on the back of the cylinders too much and cracked the flare. I have yet to take it off cause I don't have the tools to bleed the brakes efficiently after taking the line out. Does anyone know the thread size on the backs of the wheel cylinders? I replaced the OEM ones with some Brakeware 30178's. I can't find anything on Autozone's website. I'm thinking of just getting a 25ft nickel-copper brake bundle with some various nuts and just try different sizes if nobody has an idea lol. Also, does anyone have a link to a complete parts breakdown of 05-12 Tacomas?lh wheel cyl.jpg rh wheel cyl.jpg

Wheel Cylinders:
    https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...r/p/brakeware-wheel-cylinder-30178/350263_0_0

Brake Line:
    https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Line-U...h+nickel+copper+brake+line,aps,79&sr=8-3&th=1

2. Mar 2, 2022 at 5:02 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I think I still have my old one that I just replaced. I could check but probably not til the weekend.

kcthode[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2022 at 5:04 PM
    kcthode

kcthode [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3" lift and 33's
    Thanks man, I would really appreciate that! I'm going to hold off on ordering everything until tomorrow night. But I'm sure I could get the correct fitting by next week if I end up getting the wrong size in the bundle.

4. Mar 2, 2022 at 5:05 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    Sometimes, if there's tension on the hard line, even though you got the nut on, the 2 halves aren't aligned properly. Take it back off, use a magnifying glass or good eyeballs to look closely. I'm not sure of the proper names, the mushroom might have a groove on it from the umbrella being cocked. You might be able to clean it up with a jewlers file. If you still have the old wheel cylinders, look at the fitting, make sure the aftermarket fitting is the same.

For a part only 2 weeks old, seems to look awful rusty.

kcthode[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2022 at 5:10 PM
    kcthode

kcthode [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3" lift and 33's
    Yeah I thought the same thing, but I'm assuming it's from being cast iron and Delaware salting the roads like mad men. Thank you for the input though, I'll definitely take a look at the fitting alignment before replacing the whole line.

6. Mar 2, 2022 at 5:43 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    When I did my axle seal a few years ago, mine did the same thing.
    But my problem was fixed by tightening the line MORE.
    I don’t know how tight you got your line nut, but mine definitely required a lot more than I thought it needed.

You could try what @Waasheem suggested, back it off and try to get it “aligned” straight.
    Then crank them down, the torque spec is like 11 ft/lbs. If I had to guess mine are definitely tighter that 11 ft/lbs. A Line wrench helps a lot, keeps from rounding the nut off.

Geeves77 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top