1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Question...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 207Copper, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Aug 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    207Copper

207Copper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East Kansas
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 SR5 Quad Cab Red
    16"wheels, Bull bar, Side bars, Retrax roll top tonneau cover
    I have an 08 DC SR5 TRD Sport which has aftermarket alloy wheels.

My question is since the truck is equipted with the TPMS do you "HAVE" to have them? IE will it creat a dummy light or dinging if you don't have them?

I am wanting to use a stock set of alloys no TPMS with mud tires for the winter.

Input?

Jason

2. Aug 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica 4X4
    Leather seats, WeatherTech's, Access LiteRider tonneau cover, extra D-rings in bed & tailgate. Pelley lightbar with Hella 700FF's. Temp./compass O/H console.
    I think you will have the TPMS fault light illuminated if you don't have the sensors installed and calibrated in the winter wheels.

3. Aug 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    FY01CPO

FY01CPO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    I think it gives you an idiot light on your dash in the lower left side IIRC. Some folks just put something over the light to keep it from shining in their faces.

I have TPMS and haven't switched rims or anything so I may be totally out in left field on this though. I just remember reading about it when people talk about snow vs summer tires with rims.

4. Aug 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB, TRD Sport 4x4, MGM
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Pro Comp 3" Suspension Lift, 17" Moto Metal rims w/ 33" Pro Comp tires, Powder Coated Pro-Tech Headache Rack & Toolbox
    If I remember right, you'll get a dummy light.

5. Aug 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    207Copper

207Copper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East Kansas
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 SR5 Quad Cab Red
    16"wheels, Bull bar, Side bars, Retrax roll top tonneau cover
    So will there be any issue when I go back to the summer wheels with TPMS after running the winter wheels with no TPMS?

6. Aug 3, 2011 at 2:43 AM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    your system should recognize them. you will probably need to hit the reset button under the dash. on a side note i read threads where people ised two sets of wheels and if they parked by the set with the sensors in them the puter on the truck knew this and the light would stay off for x amount of miles away from home.

7. Aug 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    FY01CPO

FY01CPO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    CT
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    black tube steps, side marker turn signals, 15% tint and window strip, EGR vent shades, fighter pilot/cockpit mod, console and glove box auto on LED, anytime fog light mod, 3000k HID fogs, bed mat wing nut mod, locking bed storage bin mod, smoked tail lights, plasti-dipped rims, blacked out emblems, black tail pipe, tail gate hose clamp, rear seat utility/dog shelf with rear center console access door.
    :laugh: That is too funny. I've never seen what the sensors look like but I wonder if you could zip tie them up in the area of the wheel to fool the system. Totally defeats the purpose but at least you don't get the light. :D

To Top