1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Size Questions for a 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BCTaco14, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    BCTaco14

BCTaco14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just bought a 2006 Tacoma DC and I want to do some suspension mods along with a new set of wheels and larger tires. I come from the GM world and I had a 2005 Silverado Ext Cab with a 6 inch fabtech lift with 35's with cragar soft 8's. I really like the cragars and I want to put them on my Tacoma. I was wondering if I can put 16's on the taco and what backspacing I am going to need, especially if I am going to lift. I am only willing to do a minimal amount of lift (enough to get 285s on)... So with that being said, and without getting into suspension questions in the tire forum...

Can I put 16's on my truck and what backspacing will I need?

2. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    Yes the Offroads and Sr5's come with 16" rims. I believe the maximum backspacing for any size rim on a taco is 4.5" i have a little over that and when i put my bilstein 5100's on my 285 Dune Graplers were about .5cm away from rubbing the uca at all times. So i bought the spidertrax hubcentric 1.25" wheel spacers and now everything is perfect.

3. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    BCTaco14

BCTaco14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    thanks for the advice. So I should go with a 4.5 inch back space and gram some spidertrax and I shouldnt have to cut my truck up???

Also... Mine is a sr5 trd sport and came with 17's.

What does sr5 mean?

4. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    if you buy a rim with 4.5 you should be fine without the spidertrax. any more and you may need them. Thats exactly what my truck is, i went to 18's but going to 16's will actually make the ride better because there is more rubber and air to cushion the ride.
    and im pretty sure that the SR5 is the base model of all and any auto tacoma and then the TRD is another way of saying "limited" such as the seqoias have which is just another way of saying loaded with all that you can get from the factory

Products Discussed in

To Top