1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Specs

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Mazdayota, Mar 18, 2009.

1. EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 T|X "Black Beauty" Baja 4x4
    WeatherTechs [Front & Back], Console Vault, OEM Toyota Bed Mat, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, Exterior Cargo Net, OEM Toyota Cargo Divider, Cobra CDR 840 Dash Cam, Sliding Rear Window Security Bar, Front OEM TRD License Plate Holder, OEM TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles Front & Back - 1/2 Piped, Full Debadge except TRD OEM Red Tailgate Badge
  2. JdMeF9SiR2

JdMeF9SiR2 PARTS HOARDER

Member:
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    There is a new 17x8" Six Shooter coming out later this month.

17x8"
    6x139.7
    0mm offset
    4.5" back spacing

265/70R17 will be a good size if you aren't lifted. Very little to no trimming required. Front mud flaps will need to be removed on a stock Tacoma.

275/70R17 will also work with a bit more trimming (again, on a non-lifted Tacoma). You'll need to trim the bottom of the fender liner, a small portion of the inside of the over-fender trim, and remove the front mud flaps.

Neither tire size will rub on your frame / cab-mount. :)

Suspension clearance will be great too.

If you do want the 17x9" Six Shooters 285/70R17 is usually a better size to use.

3. JdMeF9SiR2

JdMeF9SiR2 PARTS HOARDER

Member:
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Most wheels today are made in China. I've been in the wheel business for 15 years now, and I came into the business at a time when wheel manufacturing was transitioning into China.

I can tell you from hands on experience that most (not all) of the wheels that are made in China are of lower quality than wheels made just about anywhere else. That does not mean that the wheels from China are low quality, or that all wheels from other countries are better than all wheels from China, but generally speaking I have found the majority of wheels from China to be heavier, require more weight to balance, lower quality finishes, and apparent less attention paid to details.

Overall the benefit of manufacturing wheels in China is inexpensive, quick mass production. I consider most wheels from China to be "commodities" rather than specialty or high-end items. It is concerning (and a little bit sad) to me to see Toyota outsourcing wheel production to China, and my feelings are based on the facts I've gathered from taking the time I to do hands on tests with the Chinese-made Toyota OE wheels that have come out (and are continuing to come out) over the last few years. The wheels Toyota is using from China are not unsafe, and they don't have particularly poor finishes, but they are extremely heavy, which is usually a tell-tale sign of lower-tech manufacturing which requires more material to achieve the proper load rating.

There are some high-tech facilities being built in China now, but the costs and turn around times are not as quick from these factories, so it will be interesting to see how much these new factories are put to use.

I personally do not stock any wheels from China. When a factory in China can make a wheel that is wholly superior to a wheel from a factory that I am using elsewhere, then I will consider using that factory. I have an obligation to offer my customers the best possible wheel that we can find that meets our standards within our price point. Selling wheels made in a certain country just because they're cheaper and quicker to produce is not one of my standards.

These statements are solely related to the quality of wheels from China. I do have personal views on the treatment and welfare of Chinese factory workers as well that keeps me from ordering from China, but those are unrelated to "wheel specs," and I don't want to bring this thread further off-topic.

-Dustin
    FN Wheels

4. jsantoslincoln

jsantoslincoln Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Lincoln, CA
    Thanks for the feedback. Per our email conversation, lookin forward to these comin in!

5. BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Icon stage 2 kit, LR UCA, SCS wheels wrapped in 33s,
    Dustin good shit man! Thank you...My new SCS wheels are made in "Thailand" lol NOT China :D

6. JdMeF9SiR2

JdMeF9SiR2 PARTS HOARDER

Member:
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Thanks guys. :) I'm just glad to be able to contribute.

7. AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    So Base and TRD O/F have different size calipers?

8. ETAV8R

ETAV8R 4th MAW

Member:
    Republik of Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ 2013 FWC Finch
    Grillcraft, Demello Sliders, OME Front and Rear suspension
    Went from the first page to the last. No update for the first page for weights on the steelies and TRD OR wheels?
    I'm thinking about going to steelies but not if they are more heavy. I will assume they are heavier.

9. gretch6364

gretch6364 Active Member

Member:
    Any word yet on the Tacoma Baja backspacing?

10. shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 TX Baja TRD Access cab, 6spd, 4X4, White
    Build (apologies to Sean): 2013 TRD T/X Baja, ACC, 6 spd, SuperWhite II Exterior/Performance TX Baja Series Badging (small sticker--no large “Baja”), Red TRD badge on tailgate Hitch cap TRD Cat-back exhaust BP Fabricating steel front skid plate TRD Gun Metal Gray Beadlock Style Wheels BFG A/T 265/70/16 Tacoma Bed Mat Aluminess flat bumper with PIAA 520 SMR fog lights Demello rock crusher bolt-on sliders Interior/Performance Toyota HD All-weather Flooring throughout cab...entirely weatherproof. No carpeting Stock leather shift knob Suspension Front 3” TRD Eibach racing coils 60mm HD Bilstein (TRD custom valved in San Antonio) front shocks. Similar to 9100/9300s w/ bumpstop Modified bumpstops by TRD in San Antonio Dual tube 50mm Bilstein in rear (TRD custom valved by TRD in San Antonio) Tuned 3 leaf + overload
    I pieced this together from the TRDparts4U and discussions with my Discount Tire guy for the TRD Baja wheels:

TRD Baja Alloy Wheels: 16x7.5, 6 to 10 mm offset, ? backspacing, 6x5.5" bolt pattern, 106mm hub bore, 5.5 inch bolt circle, ? lbs

Didn't find weight or backspacing.

11. SRT Nate

SRT Nate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Titusville, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner DCSB TRD Sport
    6K Hid Headlights, 3K Hid Foglights, Black Housing Headlights and Smoked Fog Lights, Access Rollup Tonneau Cover, Debadged, K&N Intake, OEM Roof Rack
    9 pages and no info on the 20" Enkei WT4s? Any one care to chime in with some info?

Nate

12. KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
  13. nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    if the TRD off road rims have a 32mm offset and 5.25 back spacing can i assume that the TRD FJ rims with a 15mm offset have 17mm (.67in) less back spacing?

14. KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    Not quite. The FJ TRD wheel is 7.5" wide. So 5.25 - 0.67 + 0.25 = 4.83" backspacing.

15. nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Ahh yes forgot they are .5in wider.

Whats the offset on stock 2004 TRD 6 lug rims

[​IMG]

these guys.

16. rhuffman12

rhuffman12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    florida
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 2 in level
    leveling kit
    so I have a 99 1st gen with about 2 in level and want new tires and rims. could I clear 285/65/18 on -24 or even -12 (rather run -12 cheaper) offsets? or could I get even crazier and run 295/70/18s? I want big tires and rims but little lift and rub.

currently running 265/75/16 with practically no rub. plan on putting bigger leveling just want to know If I need a different tire size and if itll run on the upper control arm

thank you!

17. AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 Aka: "RainbowPuke"

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    "More than you can afford pal, TACOMA" WeatherTech Floor liners (front and rear), AVS vent visors, OEM Bed Mat, TRD (oiled) air filter, OEM Front Skidplate, OEM bed extender brackets, black plasti dipped grill emblem, ultragauge plus model, remote start, reese hitch, Grom Ipod interface, quickfists on custom bedrail mount to hold axe/shovel, EBC stage 5 super street brake kit, rokblokz mud flaps, superbrightleds map and dome LED lights (warm white), rear diff breather relocation mod, redline tuning Elite stainless hood struts, AFE Mach Force XP 2.5" stainless catback, Ionic Soft Trifold Tonneau, pop&lock, OEM LED tail lights, 35watt reverse light mod, full synthetic fluids, and STEEKERS Adding 4pin receiver harness, an unmolested OEM bumper with tow package hitch, painting afe tip flat black
    Anyone know what the base model SR5 steel wheels weight is?....just curious.

18. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bucky
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 pyrite mica 4x4
    Snugtop SuperSport
    29 lbs. it's posted on the page before this.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  19. AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 Aka: "RainbowPuke"

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    "More than you can afford pal, TACOMA" WeatherTech Floor liners (front and rear), AVS vent visors, OEM Bed Mat, TRD (oiled) air filter, OEM Front Skidplate, OEM bed extender brackets, black plasti dipped grill emblem, ultragauge plus model, remote start, reese hitch, Grom Ipod interface, quickfists on custom bedrail mount to hold axe/shovel, EBC stage 5 super street brake kit, rokblokz mud flaps, superbrightleds map and dome LED lights (warm white), rear diff breather relocation mod, redline tuning Elite stainless hood struts, AFE Mach Force XP 2.5" stainless catback, Ionic Soft Trifold Tonneau, pop&lock, OEM LED tail lights, 35watt reverse light mod, full synthetic fluids, and STEEKERS Adding 4pin receiver harness, an unmolested OEM bumper with tow package hitch, painting afe tip flat black
    Thank you. I just assumed since the first post wasn't updated with the information....that i'd just ask. Lol thanks again!

20. TexasTacoLT

TexasTacoLT The "H" is silent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    FT Hood, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Offroad 4x4
    3" ToyTech Coilovers and AAL. Total Chaos UCAs. Bilstein 5100 Shocks. Colormatched Grill PlastiDipped Rear Bumper. Smoked Tail-lights. Tinted Front windows and sunstrip (15%). Plastidipped Front Emblem. PlastiDipped Eyelids. Debadged doors and tailgate. WeatherTech floormats. Blue Footwell lighting.
    Thought this might be useful to the thread.

wheel_offset_diagram.gif

To Top