1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive aal pk

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 09Tacomania, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Sorry, didn't see your post. I didn't use shims but with the 1.5" AAL and the overload in place, that's 2" of lift and it's kind of at the middle ground of where you might need them, might not.

For me, with the extra weight of my shell and plywood platform, I'm just under 2" of lift so I don't think shims are needed for me. Unloaded, I think that's officially grey area. I don't think they'll hurt anything being installed but might not be necessary.

2. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I concur. :D

I'm all good with TSB springs and this AAL. I do have a steel bumper/tiregate but even before I had them installed I had zero issues with vibrations.

Each truck is different though. IMO I wouldn't get them unless they were needed. A week of slight vibes while waiting for them isn't going to destroy anything if you take it easy.

3. Mar 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
    Right now i have a stock truck. AAL tsb, so its the 4 pk. I got a stage one icon kit w/LR Uca's and a wheelers 3 pk. Early next wk im installing the front. Gonna see how it sits. Right now, im 2" higher in back. Installing the front alone without adjustment to the CO's should level me out(according to Icon, they will lift front approx. 2" at preset ). Cant wait to drive the Icons, nothing but raves. I wonder what i'll gain in the back from the Wheelers pk leaving in the overload? I only haul heavey loads a couple times a yr. Thanks for all input guys.

4. Mar 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You should gain around 2" of lift for the rear if you leave the overload in place.

5. Mar 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
    Thanks for the reply. If my calculations are correct ( simple math, lol ) I will end up cranking up the CO's to approx. 3" and end up with a 1" rake which would work for me. Eventually, hopefully not for a while i'll end up putting a full leaf pk in thats superior to this. I cant wait to do this lift since alot of hrs have been put into research and i appreciate all that i've learned. Tired of admiring all the new hardware sitting in the garage. Soon after, i have to set up some kind of light bar ,similar to yours. Im an old man ya know. Had motorcycles, atv's, snowmobiles, now I got a Tacoma. For some reason i could never leave m stock. My new toy. I love these trucks

6. Jan 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    McCall, ID
    Resurrecting this thread versus starting another one. I'm curios if anyone has gone this route with non-TSB leaf springs (factory OR) and camper shell. I'm considering the HD version and am wanting to know what folks springs settle too with and without the overload under the weight of a camper shell.

7. Jan 19, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    Alloynipples

Alloynipples Member

Member:
    Holly Springs, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I would go with the HD. Mine have been on for 10+ months now, I use my truck like a truck. I think the aal is good but now feel that it was putting a bandaid on the real problem; worn out, oem leaf springs. The real solution is an all new leaf pack.

DSC_0593_zps3766b843_0fbd15577fc138037b9d569a06380a7782aeae66.jpg

8. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    McCall, ID
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Your rig looks great! Did you leave the overload in as well? What did you do for lift in the front? I agree with the AAL being a short term fix. My leafs only have 8k on them so they are in pretty good shape, but I fully expect to replace the whole pack once they start to sag. If they make it to 50k I'll be happy, they throw in a set of Wheeler's 5 leafs. I want to maintain most of my factory rake so I'm going HD pack in rear, but have not decided as to 5100/eibach in the front or 5100/884. I want to keep the whole lift 2 in or under.

9. Jan 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    Alloynipples

Alloynipples Member

Member:
    Holly Springs, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Thanks. Non TSb & left the overload in. 10 months and still @ 2.5", did not settle at all. 5100 and 885's, solid 3", no sag and had to do LR UCA's to get the alignment.

Products Discussed in

To Top