1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheelin': Man vs Auto tranny

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ScreamingTaco, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I drove manual Toyota pickups for 30 + years and would have bought a manual with my last truck if they had had one on the model I wanted. However, the one TRD on the lot was auto so I thought I'd give it a try.

I have to say that I'm sold on these 5-speed autos. I first took it to our "river" (river in name only unless it floods -- it's really just deep sand surrounded by sand dunes). My auto Taco, with stock tires aired to 32 psi in FWD high had no problem going anywhere my nieces with their ATVs went. Conversely, in the past I would routinely bog down in the same area with a manual when shifting gears, especially towing a trailer.

I used to live in a really hilly city too and for years had to use the emergency brake at pretty much every stop. I like the auto on hills much better than the manual on hills now. In other circumstances, say when you need to look out a side window, the auto is good too because you don't have to move back to shift. Going down hills I can shift it into lower gears for engine braking and this 6-cyl auto gets better mileage than my last 4-cyl manual did. I'm sold on the autos now.

Edit: The one thing I don't know is how long autos will last compared to manuals. My last auto pickup was a '72 Ford, which was a piece of junk compared to the Toyota I replaced it with. I'm sure that the auto transmissions, especially Toyota's are much better nowadays.

2. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I wouldn't attempt a shift on a steep climb with any transmission, but keeping the fluid cool does help minimize the effect described

3. Mar 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

x2 both of these.

I got the tow package not because I tow a lot, but just for the HD alternator, tranny cooler, oil cooler.

Being aggressive about fluid changes is a good idea too. I'll probably have my tranny flushed at around half the mileage Toyota suggests on account of my usage.

4. Mar 9, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    I prefer autos. I want to focus as much as possible on keeping my truck off of obstacles. I understand the advantages of a clutch, but it is just one more thing to think about.

5. Mar 9, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    After wheeling my manual a few times, I was VERY hard on my clutch. With that said, that is the first time I have every wheeled a standard transmission. I have driven manuals for a few years so I know how to drive them on road, but off road was very difficult. jandrews is right on the money about auto vs. manual off road. I really liked my manual transmission in my truck and have zero complaints as far as on road driving, but because I want to wheel more I am switching to an auto transmission. I am sure there are people who are extremely good wheeling standard transmissions, but as it turns out I am not one of those people lol

6. Mar 9, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I disagree with your blanket statements. You fail to take into account ease of repair into your narrow view of transmissions. The 4cyl manual gets better mileage than the auto. The mpg ratings for all manual vs auto comparisons are very close: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2008_toyota_tacoma.shtml

I don't need extra buttons to control downhill towing or wheeling. I don't have to ride my brakes to keep my speed in check either. My brakes last longer (85k so far). I can fix my own transmission(I plan to drive it till it's no longer cost effective to do so). I don't mind shifting and clutching in and out no matter what traffic is doing.
    I may stall out occasionally, but that's usually due to operator error. I'm man enough to admit that.

7. Mar 9, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    wheeling mah 6speed in a rock garden is scarey...allot of e-break and gas/clutch feather :cool: (not so smooth most times with me)

Everywhere else...love the manual :)

8. Mar 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    NOT. Maybe if you have 3 feet?

The nice thing with the auto is you can have one foot on the brake and one on the gas. A lot better control when going slow.

Manuals are fun for thrashing (I was young and dumb at one time) if thats what your into. I have had plenty of both and it seems the auto will be easier on the drive train in the long run.

9. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    not if u got the ecu flash done at toyota

10. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    One foot on brake one on the gas...​
    That's one reason that I'm not taking my '06 in for the brake pedal/ECU flash recall. I've driven it for six years and it's never "accelerated out of control" on me yet.

11. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    same here....

12. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    You guys can't heel toe...? I did that every offroad trip in my manual tranny truck. No park brake. Hill so steep the carb wouldn't get fuel. No park brake. Had to hit th gas with my heel, brake with my tie, and clutch with my other foot. Very easy and useful once you understand it.

13. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    I like being able to pick the gear I want to be in when i want to be in it. And i like being able to launch it at whatever RPMs I want. Its not that bad offroad, and I enjoy driving it on road and on open trails. A manual with a crawler is the ultimate setup. I will always drive manuals....

14. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    he has trouble reaching the peddals

:rolleyes:

15. Mar 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Apples to oranges?

I'll take the auto with dual cases over the manual with it.

Just sayin'.

Can do both of these with the 2gen Auto tranny.

16. Mar 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    Well i learned something today. but i still prefer a manual.

17. Mar 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Probably not. It locks under certain conditions, but I think it's all ECU controlled.

Which is fine; but yeah, neutral, rev to desired RPM, slapshift...if you really wanna do that to yer truck...

18. Mar 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco [OP] Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    When you guys say "Auto trans with manually selectable gears", what exactly do you mean?

I mean, I know that when downshifting an auto you can limit what gears are available to it... but I get the feeling you guys are speaking about something a bit different?

One thing that's turned me off of autos are watching dudes struggle up a longer sand hill where the auto downshifts half way up the hill and they loose their momentum. I pissed a lot of people off when I put my truck in gear lugged up it on my first attempt.

19. Mar 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    auto transmission. , but you can also choose the gear you want. also a "drive" option obviously.

[​IMG]
    you are correct in saying that you are really only limiting the gears available, but you can still drive it like a manual if you chose to.

20. Mar 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.

You sir better keep an eye on that ato hybrid bumper :spy: lol

Products Discussed in

To Top