1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels and tires problems after install...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by vicstacoma, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Sr5 4x4
    Air raid cold air intake, procomp 7089 16x8 wheels, bf goodrich all terrain ko 265/75r16. Toytec 3" lift kit. Power slot rotors with posiquiet ceramics pads. Diff breather mod. LR Upper Control Arms.
    Ok so i finally got my rims(pro comp 7089)and tires(bf goodrich 265 75 16) installed on my truck. Picked it up and drove it home and everything felt fine at first. After driving it for about 10 miles i heard a noise coming from drivers side front tire... it was a popping sound and i felt a slight vibration. Took it back to get it checked... technician test drove it, came back and told me the lug nuts had came a little loose so he re-torqued all wheels. I left and everything felt fine. Now i'm hearing a noise coming from the passenger rear wheel.... it's an annoying sound... sounds like there is metal to metal rubbing.... i checked it and can't find anything wrong with it??>>>>.. I think i'll drive it for a few more days before i take it back in to get it checked. anyone have any ideas or has had similar problems after putting in new wheels???? these noises were not present until i installed those new tires and wheels????... thanks in advance!!!

2. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Drakken

Drakken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nevin
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black 4X4 D-Cab SR5
    DTRL, GPS, Tailgate theft mod, alarm system, Westin step bars, hood protector, Sockmoney banner, blah blah blah
    Hard to tell, but are you sure they used the correct type of lug nuts for the wheels? Had that happen on a Jeep of mine and ended up with a wheel off. My .02 but I would go ahead and have it checked instead of waiting a couple of days. Last thing you want is a problem at interstate speeds or anything. Good luck.

3. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    vicstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Sr5 4x4
    Air raid cold air intake, procomp 7089 16x8 wheels, bf goodrich all terrain ko 265/75r16. Toytec 3" lift kit. Power slot rotors with posiquiet ceramics pads. Diff breather mod. LR Upper Control Arms.
    yes i did some research here on TW and purchased the correct wheels as well as the correct lug nuts!!! Just a little frustrated cause i spent quite a bit of money and hoped everything would be fine, but i guess things come up once in a while. Hopefully they can figure out what's wrong and fix it for me!

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    jamievan

jamievan New Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 sport
    toytec ome 3" lift,true-flow xdi,grillcraft grill w/"toyota" emblem, flowmaster original 40,
    so what was the problem? I just bought the procomp 7089 and am having similar problems

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    vicstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Sr5 4x4
    it didn't have the correct lug nuts and that was the problem.. luckily i didn't loose a wheel on the freeway. The lug nuts that many some people mention here on website are the incorrect ones... after taking my truck back to the shop about 3 times, they finally decided to remove the wheels and see what was going on... in the process of removing the lug nuts most of the studs broke off and came off with the lug nut... I was not happy at all when I saw this because not only did the lug nuts have to be replaced, but also the studs. I guess the only good thing was that i did not loose a wheel on the road and caused a major accident. I was really upset at shop for allowing me to continue driving my truck in this condition after i took it back a few times and complained and i let them know how upset I was and they took care of getting me correct lug nuts and studs and take care of labor as well no charge. Never going back to that shop again... I know I provided the lug nuts to them, but they are the wheel & tire experts and they should have known better.

6. Mar 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    01taquito

01taquito "thats what she said"

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    01 pre-runner sr5 quad-cab
    Bilsteins 5100's front and back. Wheelers add a leaf
    thats insane. i cant believe a tire shop would'nt be able to tell just by looking that a set of lug nuts we incorrect

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    jamievan

jamievan New Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 sport
    toytec ome 3" lift,true-flow xdi,grillcraft grill w/"toyota" emblem, flowmaster original 40,
    My problem turned out to be similar except the tire shop supplied the lug nuts. when I brought them back the first time i asked if it was lug nuts, and he assured me it was that they needed to be re torqued , the second time he said the place I ordered them from didnt balance them so I paid to have them re-balanced. when I brought them back the next time with a handful of wheel wieghts he said maybe its the lug nuts:frusty: So i picked up a set of the procomp lug nuts and had them re-balanced a final time and finaly its all good.

8. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    vicstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Sr5 4x4
    yeah that sucks.. well atleast you got your problem fixed too so that's good. It's crazy how some tire shops don't know which are the correct lug nuts.

9. Mar 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Skagit Valley
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper Procomp 7089 16x8 285/75/16 BF MT Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    I'm glad everything worked out for you!!

To Top