1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wheels..... decisions..... decisions

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TAC1, Oct 21, 2012.

1. TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4.0 Auto PreRunn
    FRONT: OEM PreRunner coils, 5100's @ .85, MaxTrac Spindles, 1/4" Taco lean spacer. ground to fender base: LF & RF: 40"'s hub to fender base::::: LF & RF: 25"'s REAR: 2012 OEM 3/1 leafs, Wheelers 3 leaf AAL, 2" Tapered steel block. Bilstein F4-BE5-B110-T5 ground to fender base: LR & RR: 41"'s hub to fender base::::: LR & RR: 26"'s All mud flaps trimmed 4"'s shorter.
    Hello Forum,

I am a little undecided about wheels for my Tacoma. Truth is that I am not into aftermarket wheels even though there are a few that I like it is not enough for me to buy them. Here's what my '08 came with when I bought it on 01/03/12 (I added the tires afterwards):

Click for full-size image (1024 x 768)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My indecision stems from the fact that I like chrome but I like the following wheels also. I will list the pros & cons (from my point of view):

[​IMG]

PROS
    Has a nice shine.
    I already have them.
    People think they are chrome wheels, until I tell them that they are wheel skins.
    If I damage one, I can buy a whole set for $70. I can't buy wheels for $17.50 a piece.

I can balance the wheels with weights on both sides AND you can't even see the weights since they are hidden behind the wheel skins.

CONS
    I wish they would stick out an inch more. My wheels are 16x7 & have a 30mm offset & I believe 5" back space.

[​IMG]

PROS:
    These are 16x7.5 & have a 15mm offset.
    I don't know what the back spacing is on them.

They look rugged & (I believe) these will stick out about an inch more than what I have now due to the 1/2 wider wheel & less offset. Again, I don't know the backspacing on these.

My truck is silver so I think these will match up perfectly.

I do not have to replace my 5 month old BFg A/T's, 265/75r16. I just spend themoney on the wheels. These go for around $600 on ebay

CONS:
    no bling. LOL!

Click for full-size image (1600 x 1200)
    [​IMG]

PROS
    Same with & offset as the TRD's but in 17's.
    Not too common around here on Tacoma's
    Some bling (machined face with silver & all clear coated) & I can buy chrome center caps for them.

CONS
    Requires new tires AND the cost of the rims. These go for around $500 - $600 on ebay.

I can wait to wear down my BFG's if I decide to go the 17" wheel route but these suckers go forever!

Thanks [​IMG]

2. tacowestley

tacowestley Khmer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    562/626, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Prerunner OR
    8k HIDs, flowmaster, bora wheel spacers 1.25'', debadged tailgate, DRL and foglight anytime mod, BHLM, 09+ LED tailights, painted valence black, mickey thompson classics 16'', switchback LEDs, reverse LEDs, tailgate clamp
    For your chrome wheels you can always put spacers on them

3. TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4.0 Auto PreRunn
    FRONT: OEM PreRunner coils, 5100's @ .85, MaxTrac Spindles, 1/4" Taco lean spacer. ground to fender base: LF & RF: 40"'s hub to fender base::::: LF & RF: 25"'s REAR: 2012 OEM 3/1 leafs, Wheelers 3 leaf AAL, 2" Tapered steel block. Bilstein F4-BE5-B110-T5 ground to fender base: LR & RR: 41"'s hub to fender base::::: LR & RR: 26"'s All mud flaps trimmed 4"'s shorter.
    Yeah, thats true. Spidertrax in 1.25" width. I'll look into this. Thanks :)

4. TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4.0 Auto PreRunn
    Hello,

I ordered a set of 16x8 MOTO METAL chrome M0951's, 0 offset, & 4.5 back space. That should stick out noticeably more than wnat I have now. I should have them by Wednesday or Thursday of this week. I'll do my TPMS sensor mod to eliminate the light. I have 3 questions that I forgot to ask the vendor about & he is already closed for today.

* Do I need hub-centric rings? I know our trucks have a 106mm hub but I don't know the hub bore on these wheels.

* Will I have caliper rubbing issues? I have read where some 16" wheels rub the caliper but when ever I have read a post from someone with these wheels in 16" I did not read of any rubbing issues.

* Anyone know the actual wheel part #?

I have searched but can't find this info.

Thanks[​IMG]

To Top