1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels not fitting!!!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MDBigRed, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    MDBigRed

MDBigRed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    I just received my 17x8 procomp steel wheels today with 285 tires. They have a 4.25" backspacing but don't clear the front caliper!!!! I'm so mad. What are your suggestions??? I'm thinking that I'll have to get the spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers to fix this problem. They almost fit but the caliper is an issue:mad:

2. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DCSB
    that is weird...Not sure what the problem is. Theres lot of guys on here running that same size

3. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    that sucks, you'll either have to grind down the caliper a little or get spacers. maybe a refund?

4. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Check the hard stamp on the rim to verify its the proper size.

5. Nov 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    i had the same problem with my KMC..although i knew they were going to cause problems before i got them, so i ordered some 1/4" spacers from wheelers..heres the site...scroll all the way down to the bottom..they are 5$ a peice and spaced enough to let my wheels clear my calipers...the thought of grinding down my calipers doesnt settle well with me...

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm

6. Nov 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    Thanks! I called up 4wheelparts and the sales rep is going to send me 3/8" spacers and overnight them via fedex air at no charge. Pretty good customer assistance if you ask me. my heart rate has now returned to normal :D

7. Nov 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    :yay:glad to hear that, lets see some pics once you get those wheels on!

8. Nov 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    You should buy rims that actually fit rather than add spacers!

9. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    No shit. i wasn't anticipating this to happen. they say they have a 4.25 backspacing so it's pretty weird they dont fit

10. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Thanks for the tough guy talk! :laugh: I was merely pointing out that most people try to rig things to make them look cool and go through a headache making something work when it is not the proper application. I believe they goofed on your rims and it is obvious since they sent you spacers. I would send them back and ask for the proper application or go elsewhere for you rims. ;)

11. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

And to add. The 3/8" spacers usually require longer wheel studs....Im thinking you may have ordered a wrong offset?

12. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T|X Baja
    Supercharged
    I'll take them for $50, since you can't use them..;)

13. Nov 13, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    which steel wheels were they?

there are particular rock crawler wheels that have never fit the tacoma calipers due to the inner dimple die...

top wheel to avoid without spacers is the Soft 8 style... no matter what backspace you get, the inner lips of the dimple die stick in too much to clear...

[​IMG]

14. Nov 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    i had to add 1/4" spacers to fit my wheels on, only because i ordered the +0 offset instead of -6 offset, merely because they were on sale, 1/4" doesnt cause you to lose that much thread to cause it to be unsafe to run on..im not "rigging" anything..

people buy spidertrax spacers for a reason as well, because their wheels/tires are too big...is that still rigging?

15. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    They look identical to these but were the procomp version (98 or 52) series i believe. I put the 3/8" spacers on today and still rubbing. Would 2.5" backspacing be better than the current 4.25 that i have tried??

16. Nov 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    BUMP!!! would 2.5" backspacing solve the problem of the caliper rubbing issues with 4.25" backspacing??? the wheels simply rub because of where the metal holes have been stamped through. I could grind each one down but boy that's not what i want to do. I want my steelies!!

17. Nov 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
  18. Nov 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Check out my build thread.
    I was running those cragar steelies for a while. I had to grind the back of the rim to get it to fit, because of the stamped out holes. I also had to use spacers, and take a small amount off of my calipers. I have since switched to wheels that fit, and am extremely happy I did. The old steelies are just sitting at home now.

Sorry I can't help you with the backspacing issue.

To Top