1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels weights keeps coming off

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by sirsaechao, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Keep losing them while driving. I had the stick on ones that are flat and the ones that clip on the edge of the rims (fugly IMO). What can I do? I have balanced my wheels twice...once last Thursday and once yesterday...already lost the driver side clip on one...all I see if the passenger side. :( Should I just drive w/o the driverside? The wait is unbareable to just have them balanced again. Sighhhh

2. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    When your getting them balanced tell the tire guys no big weights. Make them rotate the rubber if the weight is going to be large. There should be a spot there where they will be a hell of a lot smaller. Big weights fall off to damn easy.

3. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I put them on the inside rim of the wheel only-Might protect them a bit better.

You could also look at using EQUAL or another inertial balancing product...

4. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I am tired of going back to Les Schwab but my tires are from them so it is free to balance and rotate. They blame me for the way I drive.

5. Jun 29, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

I had EQUAL in my Jeep. In fact, I have two bags of the stuff that I'm trying to sell right now. :D

6. Jun 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    That goes inside the tires?

7. Jun 29, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    How does that Equal work with the tire pressure sensors? Does it bang the shit out of them?

8. Jun 29, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    Those clip on ones suck!!! I kept throwing them too. I had those on the inside and had to keep getting balanced.
    I finally got a tech that knew his stuff and he put the sticky ones on after cleaning the inside of the wheel off really good and I havent had a problem yet.
    My advice is make sure they are cleaning the wheel before the slap them on, if not, the weight is not going to stick to the wheel the way it is supposed to leading to it coming off as you are driving.
    as for them blaming it on your driving, I would tell them to do their job and not worry about your driving, but thats just me.

9. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It does go inside the tires.

Good question TRAP - before deciding on EQUAL, ask your mechanic if you can even use EQUAL with the TPMS sensors. You probably can't use it with the TPMS. Sorry, never even thought about it.

When you get EQUAL installed (so to speak), they give you new valve stems/cores with little filters in them to prevent the stuff from coming out when you airup/down.

10. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    I went to there web site. this might work with the TPMS's

XACTBalance®

http://www.imiproducts.com/xact/how-xact-works.aspx
    It's perplexing, would like to also have a better solution to this problem, I hate those clip on weights cause the fall off but they also screw up your rims. The inside weights just fall off eventually too.

11. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    ccs368

ccs368 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    If you're losing clip-on weights frequently, I would also ask your particular shop if they are sure that the correct profile clip-on weight is being used. There're various weight/clip profiles that fit various contours of the rim lip (BADA has MC, FN, etc. etc.) I know most people are responding with adhesive backed weights which is OK but I think addressing the problem directly and finding the root cause is a better solution.

Products Discussed in

To Top