1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When Deer Attack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SeadogSean, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    SeadogSean

SeadogSean [OP] Member

Member:
    Variable, on a big ship
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD sport access cab 4x4
    So for my first thread, how about this. My ship is tied up in Virginia right now for an extended in-port period, so I fly home and drive the Taco down just before christmas. Tonight (The 3rd) I'm driving off base (speed limit is 35) when I catch something out of the corner of my eye, I look out the driver's side window to see a doe angling at full speed directly towards me. I tried to accelerate, but BAM, she still managed to ram directly into the rear half-door of my access cab on the left side. I stop and pile out of the truck to check for damage just in time to see the deer come to a rolling stop, untangle itself, and bouce off into the nearby woods. Got a pretty big dent in the half door, and a smaller dent that came complete with deer spit on the drivers door. I've heard of hitting deer, moose, hell pretty much anything, but this is the first time I've ever heard of a deer running into a moving truck. Anybody else been attacked by these viscious herbivores? I swear the master at arms that patrol the base are still laughing. I've got watch most of the day tomorrow, but pics will follow soon.

2. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    My dad had his BMW parked outside of a restaurant in Tennessee and he was outside enjoying the weather and a beer with his boss, and all of a sudden a coyote came out of the woods full speed and rammed my dads BMW. it left a huge scratch and dent in the rear left door( like yours)

3. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    pat's taco

pat's taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    Weathertech, ECG Fabrication retro grille, K&N intake, Magna flow dual, UWS low profile toolbox, NFAB & 30" light bar bumper, Spidertrax. 1.25, Mob Amour, XSP-X package

sorry to hear about the damage but this was funny ....:rofl:

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 1:22 AM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey Access Cab - 2.7L I4 - 4x2
    That's the strangest thing I've ever heard of. This is the only time I'll ever say this... but you should have been driving a Dodge :rolleyes:

PS: Welcome to TW :thumbsup:

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 4:06 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

welcome man.

6. Jan 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited DCSB 4x4 Blazing Blue
    I have been lucky, The area where I live the deer are way to plentiful since its all reservation land. However I ussually get them before they can get me. Sorry to hear about your truck.

Now "master at arms" thats a funny comment. Guy in a white suit walking around with a stick and a popeye hat.

7. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    stro1965

stro1965 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica Tacoma 4x4
    The only time I've ever personally been involved in a car/deer collision was when I was a kid, riding with my mom. We saw several deer in the ditch and actually stopped to let them cross the road. All did but 1, who seemed content to stay put. Until we started moving again, that is. Then she came up and out of the ditch at full speed and smacked right into my passenger side door. Scared the bejesus out of me!

8. Jan 5, 2009 at 2:28 AM
    SeadogSean

SeadogSean [OP] Member

Member:
    Variable, on a big ship
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD sport access cab 4x4
    I know that feeling, I saw it a split second before she hit me at ramming speed.

9. Jan 5, 2009 at 3:51 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Tonneau Cover, extended tailgate, Devils Horns, Custom Shift Knob UltraGauge
    I had a deer come out of the ditch and hit the drivers door of my Volvo many years ago. I had never heard of a deer hitting a car before that thought. A train coming the other way scared that deer. Glad you are alright.

10. Jan 5, 2009 at 3:59 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    I've had deer hit me a couple of times. Once I was driving under 25 mph, saw the deer and slowed down and was moving past them slowly when the buck decided he didn't like my Grand Am. He hit right between the driver's side front quarter panel and the door. When I got to where I was going I couldn't get out that side.

The second was just a couple nights ago and my tube steps protected the truck damn well. Next mod, grille guard.

11. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:42 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport+Leather 4x4
    Front 5100's @2.5", Rear 5125's with AAL. Light Racing UCA's, Factory hood deflector, Sirius Sportster 5, TRD air filter, Weathertech's f&r, "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Three things......

1.Great story
    2.Glad you're OK
    3.Sorry about the damage to your truck

OK,four

4.Welcome to TW.

:)

12. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hit a deer on the NJ Garden State Parkway right at the driver's side headlight area causing over $8K in damage on a '07 Camry XLE I owned.
    Fixed the Camry and dumped it.
    There's plenty of deer in many NJ areas.
    There a nuisance.You see hit deer on the side of many highways.

13. Jan 5, 2009 at 5:19 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Welcome to TW!!! and sorry about the damaged Taco. I had a deer run into the side of my 61 Corvair. Not much damage to the car or the deer, but it did scare the s##t out of the both of us.:D

14. Jan 5, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Welcome to TW

15. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    Alaskaflyer

Alaskaflyer My other ride Hovers

Member:
    Cape Cod, MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner DC TRD Off Road
    OME 885 AAL, 2.5* shim, Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT KO 285/75/16, Spidertrax spacers, OME Shocks up front, Bilstein 5100 Shocks in back.
    For a while I had a little honda accord I would commute with until one morning on my way to work I had a deer do the whole Magnum PI slide across the hood of my car. It was funny as hell, all a saw was the deer running towards me I hear the impact and the body slides across the hood and the head goes sliding across my windshield.

Gary

16. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Growing up in Alaska my patents had a 80s ish Olds Cutlas. A caribue did the same thing. Hit the rear drivers side door. huge dent. Patents never fixed it. Got all rusty ware the paint was buckled. retarded ass animals. I would have waited to get out and ran the deer over repeatedly like a monster truck and a single wreaked car.:burnrubber:

17. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i had the same thing happen to me..twice.

first time deer came tearing out of the woods, ran in front of me and wrecked the front end. Got repaired.

second time deer came tearing down a dirt driveway as i sped up, she ran faster, and right into my passanger side door, and drooled/bled down the side of the cab. she must of flipped around thou, since i was missing the chrome trim off my fender, and the fender was dented also.

18. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    Yep had one hit me to and I was going about 5 mph. Dumb Dear!!! I only had my truck 3 week's but it didn't even scratch it I think it bounced off the tire.

19. Jan 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    Mingy

Mingy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    I've hit a few, but my first was with a Volvo 245 GLT at about 145 km/h (90 mph) at night. Hit the deer & instant lights out - my headlights shorted and I was driving blind with no moon. I have no idea to this day how I managed to not wipe out or go into the ditch but I basically kept it on the pavement until I came to a stop. When I figured I could stand (this was pretty exciting), I went outside I looked at the headlights. I cleared away some damage and the unbroken one came back on.

Damage was about $2,000, but I kept the check and fixed it myself.

Weird thing was, one the way home I kept wondering whether it was a deer, or a person I'd hit, even though I was pretty sure I'd seen the deer at the instant of impact before the lights went out. Found deer hair on the fender the next day.

You might be able to pull out your dent with a suction puller ...

20. Jan 5, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the old Taco's.... new Tundra is pretty stock
    one ran into the side of my old truck, a '95 Chevy 1/2 ton. i was going about 45 on a frontage road and it ran down the bank on the side of the road and THUMP right into the side of my truck, scuttled a bit then went back up the bank. didnt leave a dent though, i was lucky

To Top