1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When does a lift require...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BlindingWhiteTac., Jan 3, 2013.

1. BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB AT TRD Off Road
    UWS tool box, Famous Fabrication sliders
    At what point does it become necessary to add a differential drop, carrier bearing drop, longer brake lines, and rear axle shims? How much lift are we talking about? More than one inch, two inches?

2. totmacher

totmacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN (memphis mostly)
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab TRD Sport
    BHLM, Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, Hoen all weather fog bulbs, window tint, LED interior lights (cupholder & floor), exterior LED courtesy lights. OME/Dakar lift. 50W reverse lights. Painted wheels.
    Based on the OME lift I just finished installing, I'd say 1-1/2 inch rear and 2 inch front is the maximum without needing extra stuff.

So far I've only installed the springs and shocks/struts. Below are more detailed observations if you're curious about my install.

Front:
    3 inches lift (OME strut with 885 coil). Don't really "need" anything more but a few things would be a good idea to add eventually when the money is right.
    -front brake lines are fine, no worries at all.
    -upper balljoint angle nearly maxed out. There is only about 1 inch of downward wheel travel. New upper control arm would be a good idea when the $$ is available to get a little more travel. New UCA would also increase the amount of adjustment available to get the best front end alignment.
    -sway bar is really close to spring. relocate kit would be a good idea.
    -if you want to run tires bigger than stock, you'll need either wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels. Might also need upper control arm for tire clearance. My 265/70-17 on stock 17" wheels just barely clear everything.
    -I'm a prerunner so I didn't have a front diff to worry about but I think I remember hearing that you're good up to about 2 inches before diff drop is really needed.

Back:
    2 inches lift (OME shocks with OME/Dakar complete leaf packs with 1 leaf removed):
    -NEED longer brake lines. I noticed that putting jack on frame so that axle hangs, the stock brake lines were pulled more than I was comfortable with. Makes me think that if the rear suspension were flexed much offroad, the brake lines would possibly get damaged/stretched. Being able to drop the axle further would also make the leaf pack easier to install. I had to be really careful about not stretching the brake lines when putting in the springs.
    -axle angle shims only needed if you notice vibration from the driveshaft while driving. Same for carrier bearing drop. Some people need them, some don't. I didn't need them.

3. OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Diff drops are ineffective on 2nd gens , cb drops and axle shims are used to correct driveline angles so you don't know what you need till you have lifted

4. dfrugia

dfrugia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goose
    Roswell, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFF RD 4X4
    Running boards w/steps, Weathertechs
    OZ I know you know your stuff from what I've seen on prior posts. Why isn't it effective? I've researched lifts and they always offer the diff drop.

5. OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  6. dfrugia

dfrugia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goose
    Roswell, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFF RD 4X4
    Running boards w/steps, Weathertechs
    Perfect, thank you

To Top