1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When hitting a deer.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChewbacaTW, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Scott is " special "

2. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    :eek::anonymous:

3. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    oh i forgot you too didnt want you to feel left out.....:brianr::brianr:
    and as always :brianr::brianr:

4. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. Mar 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cars and trucks are different. Trucks, I don't think it matters one bit, unless you're driving a lowered one, or the deer is actually a moose or elk.

Reason: With a car, you're going to be hitting it in the legs. If you brake hard, you're creating more of a wedge. Wedge at speeds means deer goes through your windshield easier, and into your face. Brake hard, but let off right before impact. This way you'll slow down as much as possible, but still bring the front end of your car up, reducing the chance of the hairy beast coming through your windshield and kicking the shit out of you.

With a truck, you're going to be hitting the deer broadside. Braking or accelerating shouldn't make a difference.

Moose are taller. So are elk. Best hope you slow down enough so that it doesn't go through your windshield.

Avoiding a deer, elk, moose or the likes, at speeds is stupid IMO. I've always been taught NEVER swerve for an animal. Don't risk losing control and hurting or killing yourself, when you could plow that shit over and get vehicle damage covered by insurance.

Hit animals, swerve for people.

6. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    just dont swerve into oncoming traffic or hit a tree.... you are much better off hitting the deer.

7. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    Don't you guys watch the Myth Busters? They did this one. HIT THE BRAKES!!!!!! Even in a little wedgie sports car the body will plow right into the cabin. The faster you go the worse it gets. If you're in deer country, slow down.

On a second note, some of those aftermarket brush guards defeat the airbag deplowment. A test was done on a Land Rover. The results....buy one that won't defeat the airbags. The dummy died.

8. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    Trying to avoid hitting a deer is sometimes not an option, they just come out of nowhere. I have avoided many accidents by slowing down after lighting up eyes on the side of the road though. Just in case, I have a drop point knife and some field dressing gloves in the truck...

9. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW [OP] My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I haven't yet hit an elk or deer. It's a very real possibility for me as I live in the mountains.

Actually the reason I was asking NOW and not trying to make the judgment call in the heat of the moment is because I wanted to decide which was the better course of action. Then I'd train my mind (by going over the scenario again and again in my head) to hit the gas rather than the brake if the case was made that it is safer to in fact "floor it".

My girlfriend swerved to avoid a javelina and almost rolled her little calibre because we were doing about 75 on the curve. I probably would have just hit it.

Oh and also... So's your face!!!

:rofl: I am actually seriously considering getting an ARB for this very reason. (among others)

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I've made the determination that I should just hit the thing (if a clear path of avoidance isn't forthcoming) and either just let off the gas or hit the brakes when it happens. Which is what I probably would have done anyway.

10. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Of all the times I have hit a deer , I never really had much warning . Think about an aftermarket bumper if you are in deer country , that's why I got a RelentlessFab aluminum front bumper , added protection , not added weight .

11. Mar 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW [OP] My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    Yeah. I really like most of relentless fab's stuff. Alas they don't make a front bumper for first gens. At least not that I saw.

12. Mar 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Elite Offroad Products makes one . I think Relentless may be doing one in the future .

13. Mar 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Damn, never even thought about this. :rolleyes: So I guess they mount to the frame? I've never had/installed one.

14. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Do niether , just coast. The deer court n jury will find you innocent of deerslaughter.

No really , theres too many variables to make that decision of stop or accelerate.I dont see any legit reason to accelerate unless you are planning one of the usual over the top hollywood movies. React according to the road conditions be it paved or gravel , rain or snow,deer stopped / deer turned/ deersped up /lept 5'/5pt buck/ fawn/muley or whitetail...etc.

And one more thing to the asshole who hit one 4 yrs ago hunting , DONT LEAVE IT ALIVE IN THE ROAD WITH 4 broke legs . kill it n drag it like we had to for you , you A-hole, whos chevy s10 bled out at the radiator a few miles later.

15. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    who cares, your hitting a deer, your fucked one way or another...i learned that out when i hit my deer causing 1900 in damage

16. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Sounds stupid, but I flick on the HID off roads and get on the brakes. The deer have the same reaction you do when someone flashes a super bright light at you when you have adjusted to the dark and are forced to stop and look/ run away. That gives me plenty of time to avoid them. If nothing else it WILL stop them from running any closer to me/ further into the road.

17. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    navysealboy93

navysealboy93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    YES!

18. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

Because they're relaxed and not all tensed up. Same reason kids do really well in accidents...they have no clue whats going on and they're all loosey goosey when it happens.

19. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    This ^^^^

Also it's never a good idea to swerve to try to avoid hitting something. You are better off hitting it..especially driving a truck or a higher profile vehicle where the rollover potential is a lot higher.

When I hit the deer about 1.5 years ago. I slammed on the BRAKES and slowed down before I hit him. Ended up clipping him in the rear with the corner of my bumper as he was running off the road. It was a BIG! buck so I knew he was gonna do some damage. If I had swerved I probably would have ended up wrapped around a tree or upside down in the ditch.

20. Mar 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    Robertocritser

Robertocritser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    KY
    Vehicle:
    08 sport
    ATM6969420 series
    speed up... then you get to have really tender deer for dinner haha....

Products Discussed in

To Top