1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When to replace the battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ProtoJ, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jan 10, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    ProtoJ

ProtoJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab, Superwhite
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    According to my scangauge, my battery voltage is 13.1. When should a battery be replaced?

2. Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I replace the battery in all my vehicles every 4 years regardless of miles. Extreme heat and extreme cold play havoc on your battery. A couple of times the batteries I've had had died on me with no warning. Have peace of mind and change it out every 4 years.

3. Jan 10, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    when your vehicle is running you should be around 14-14.6ish volts. when it is off you should be between twelve and 13 volts. if running voltage is low, it could be your alternator with a problem. 13.1 seems low for operating and a bit high for at rest, but unless your battery is going dead and everything is operating properly i wouldn't worry about it.

there is no real "how long does this battery last" scale it all depends on how hot and cold your truck gets, how long your truck sits, how far you regularly drive. there are many factors. where I live batteries don't last too long. I've never seen more than a couple of winters with the same battery, I believe it was half cuz it gets down to -45 to 50deg. and mostly cuz i was running a 1600w stereo pulling around 85A from a 70A alternator on my pos civic. now i've got my truck though so i'll see. if a battery gets too drained it will freeze in the cold, then it is pretty much garbage.

you could always use a battery load tester, you should be able to borrow one from any local mechanic, or auto parts store. it's easy to use, just disconnect your battery, fully charge it, then hook up the tester and it has an amp gauge that says good, bad etc...

4. Jan 10, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    Greenblazer

Greenblazer Thread Killer

Member:
    Phoenix. Aridzona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Dblcab SR5 Black
    Home Made Tonneau, The Baba Booey Mod... Sirius Satellite Radio
    Many Auto Parts chain stores will do a load test on your battery for free. The tests Checker and Auto Zone do will tell you if you have a bad battery or a charging system problem.

5. Jan 11, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It all depends.....

I replace it when it actually dies (or comes close to it).

But that's because I have a husband, cell phone, extra vehicle, and AAA. If I get stranded somewhere, it doesn't bother me. I make the necessary phone calls and/or get a 'jump' when needed. I carry jumper cables in all our vehicles.

6. Jan 11, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    ^^
    Good point, Janster.

Carry Jumper Cables with you. When your batt dies, let us know what voltage your SG said... :D

7. Jan 11, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I see 13.6v all the time on my scanguage. I think its fine, if your not drawing much power, why should it charge much? When you start your truck in the morning it should be up around 14, but then it should drop unless your cranking on the tunes or something. I let my battery die before changing it. We've got batteries around that are 10-15 years old, batteries need maintenance just like anything else.

8. Jan 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud There's a mod for that!

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Subaru WRX
    Bilsteins 5100's (Front & Rear), GrillCraft, Line-X'ed Skid Plate & Bumper Valence, Blacked out hood scoop, Avid Light Bar and much more.
    If you're tight on money... replace it when it dies. If not, then follow the advise of the guys above. I personally don't worry about it until it needs it.

9. Jan 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    My truck sits a lot.
    3.5-4 years and then I go with an Interstate.

10. Jan 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    obxfishn

obxfishn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Virginia
    2.5" ToyTec Lift, Smitty Built Nerf Bars, Scangauge unit,
    After you start your truck and the battery charges back to capacity, you should be between 13.8v and 14.2v. This is the operating range your truck should be operating in. You either have a bad battery or there is a problem with the voltage regulator.

11. Jan 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I honestly just change mine when it dies like some of the other guys. Just laziness I guess!:cool:

12. Jan 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^Batteries cost money, I don't have a lot of money. Nothing to do with laziness, if it's not broke, don't fix it! Most auto parts stores will test your battery for free. If you want you can check the water level in it, make sure its not low.

13. Jan 12, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I have to say, for a lot of people and under certain conditions, Triple A is a great organization. Always good in a pinch, either for a jump start or battery replacement.

To be sure you can have your battery and system checked but I would not worry until the battery gets down into the 12's .
    You have to figure that some battery's get dropped or mishandled somewhere along the line. I watched a guy at Sear's take a battery off a rack and dropped it 3ft and brought it out to me, which I obviously refused, the battery was a deep cycle for my trolling motor. So he got another one , all of this goes to show you that things just happen.
    Jeff, 06,V6, SR5, 6spd, 4x4

14. Jan 12, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Like the rest I just wait until it gives me trouble. I have a batter on a truck at the house that has been in there for 10yrs.

15. Jan 12, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    MacTaco

MacTaco Mustache May

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Indigo, Lifted, Flowmaster
    Skyjacker 3" Lift, 285/75/R16 Toyo M/T tires/ Eagle Alloy Wheels, Flowmaster 50 Series, Pioneer Din Head Unit, Viper Alarm/Remote Start System, Debadged, DT Headers, True Flow Intake
    What does Chris say? Haha

16. Jan 12, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    mikeyramone

mikeyramone 220 - 221 Whatever it takes

Member:
    Westfield,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2005 4X4 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    Sylvania Silverstar headlights, vent visors, Advantage Tri-fold tonneau cover, pop n lock, Sirius radio, auto dimming mirror, AFE Pro-Dry air filter, secondary air filter removed, Magnaflow muffler, Hood scoop decals, Painted grill, Devil Horns!!!
    I agree with Humanoid. After 4 years you're taking chances. I'm a big believer of Murphy's Law. If I need to be somewhere important that's when the battery will die so I don't take the chance and I replace the battery before it dies.

17. Jan 12, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's funny.... but a long time ago when I owned a Mazda Protege, I'd take it to the dealer for service because I didn't have a house/tools at the time.

For 3 straight years - the dealership kept telling me the battery needed changed. Everytime I'd get an oil change, they'd tell me the same thing. And everytime, I'd tell them, "NO, I don't want you to change it!"

One winter, I decided to change it. I just thought I'd change it before luck kicks me in the ass.

Amazing.....how much money the dealerships must be raking in from telling people their batteries need changed. My Gawd, I got 3 years out of it and it still didn't leave me sit!

18. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    DMZX

DMZX Active Member

Member:
    E. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2x4 Tacoma
    After ~5 years, at the first sign of trouble, I change the battery.

If your battery gets weak and your alternator works overtime to keep the charge up, it can wear out as well. Then your looking at $200 or more.

To Top