1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When To Retire Microfiber Towels.....???

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Crow Horse, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Jul 20, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    Crow Horse

Crow Horse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB TRDS, 2012 DCSB TRDOR
    Through the years I've collected quite a few microfiber towels. Many are cheapies but some of my more recent acquisitions are quality microfiber towels. I always use a microfiber detergent and wash them separately. Some are stained but not badly. When do you guys put your old microfibers out to pasture?

tacotoe likes this.
  2. Jul 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    I've got microfiber towels that nearing 10 yrs old and still work very well

3. Jul 20, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    When I start to notice the fibers feeling less soft I usually dedicate those towels for rims and interior cleaning only, I'm pretty paranoid about scratching/leaving swirls on the paint though... I like to wash the microfiber towels separate and dry them on low heat

tcBob, tacotoe and Malvolio like this.
  4. Jul 20, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    20tacoma17

20tacoma17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Kings, 275/70/17, a few custom items, lots of Meso mods.
    I have quite a few of all different types and quality. The only ones I really keep separate from the others are the ones I use for detailing, waxing, sealing of the painted areas. They all get washed separately. The others are used for interior, door jams etc. Once I think their life is just about up they become a shop rag. I just buy in bulk packs when I see a sale.

SR-71A likes this.
  5. Oct 15, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    tacotoe and Crow Horse[OP] like this.
  6. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:42 PM
    rfranklin1

rfranklin1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Depends on the towel and how it's used. I use a few different towels for paint (different ones for protection, polish removal, etc.), and I will keep those towels separate from everything else, even when washing. After a few uses on paint, I'll downgrade to interior. I'll use them until the fibers start to fall out. As a general rule of thumb, I'll never use a paint towel that showed dirt on paint again. Also won't use it on paint again if I drop it on the ground, either. I keep a lot of the Costco towels on hand for things like tires, polishing exhaust tips, engine bay, etc.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    ca08tacoma likes this.
  7. Oct 18, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I'll add one more reason to retire a microfiber towel - drying them at too high of a heat setting. Heat is the enemy of microfibers and even one drying session at too high of a temperature can ruin them. Ask me how I know that.

tacotoe, Malvolio and rfranklin1 like this.
  8. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    For me it's not a matter of when to throw them out, it's more about when to downgrade what they are used for. Even really old/dirty/stained ones can be used for things like engine bays, door jambs, etc. You just need to find some kind of system (marking with a sharpie, color coding, etc.) so you know which ones are which and don't get them mixed up.

gotoman1969, lynyrd3 and whatstcp like this.
  9. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    That one old guy

That one old guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4x4 2.7 Access 5spd
    Stockish
    I bought my first microfiber towels somewhere around 2005 at a motorcycle swap meet. First I'd ever heard of 'em. I think I paid around $20 for seven of 'em. FF 15yrs and there are still a few of those original 7 around. Wash separate, dry on low heat, NO dryer sheets!

10. Oct 20, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    I have drying towels. Wax/detail towels. Glass towels. Door jam towels. Wheel/engine bay towels. Interior towels. Etc. no one towel does another’s job. Use microfiber wash only. Dry on the no heat setting. If buy quality towels and take care of them they’ll take care of you.

11. Aug 28, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    ca08tacoma

ca08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lot of good answers here and systems in place. Buying a good quality towel is the 1st step. I've had good luck with The Rag Company. US based company and friendly staff. Dedicated use is another system that makes it easier. Like others have said, downgrade the towels as they age and soil. Eventually they become engine bay and wheel, under the vehicle towels, where staines and grime live.

memario1214 and ace96 like this.
  12. Aug 29, 2021 at 3:49 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Not to muddy the waters, but being "US based" has little to do with the product in this case. The equipment required to manufacture microfiber products does not even exist in the North America.

13. Aug 29, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    ca08tacoma

ca08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    My understanding of The Rag Company is they are the largest importer of microfiber from overseas.

Being US based is this instance for me is about buying from a company that employs people in the United States. More specifically Idaho. The quality of their material is excellent in my experience.

Rocketball likes this.
  14. Sep 3, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    My microfiber towels never fully retire. They are downgraded based on their condition so new towels only touch paint. The really old ones are used for dirtier parts of the vehicle or converted to household rags.

Too Stroked and memario1214 like this.
  15. Sep 3, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    x2 here

$yoda$ likes this.
  16. Sep 8, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    BRBNNEAT

BRBNNEAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Offroad-6 speed
    I have towels up to 15 years old- cheapest laundry detergent and vingaer, wash cold, dry low heat no dryer sheet.

ca08tacoma likes this.
  17. Sep 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Whenever they get visibly worn (or when my gf accidently throws them in with other clothes in the wash/dries them in the dryer).

18. Sep 8, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I'll throw my $0.02 in here.

Once the microfiber towels loose their "fluffyness" and be overly matted, then they transition to workshop rags.

I typically have colors for different purposes. Blue=glass, red=drying, yellow=wax removal, black/grey=interior plastic, and a red bucket with generic workshop rags.

Washing microfiber towels is detergent only with a bit of oxyclean. No softener. Dryer on low with no other lint contributing items (cotton, lycra, etc).

ca08tacoma likes this.
  19. Sep 8, 2021 at 12:13 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Try using a dog brush. I have one just for my towels. Works wonders on getting the fluffyness back.

Too Stroked likes this.
  20. Sep 20, 2021 at 7:42 AM
    Sandman TRD

Sandman TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    Who makes a good quality microfiber towel these days? I literally have some high quality towels I bought in 1999 that I still use. I have bought some cheaper ones along the way, but probably time to invest back into some higher end towels for paint use.

To Top