1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When you pulled over a driver...

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by The Driver, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    The Driver

The Driver [OP] Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO. I'm from Tampa. I
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, Class 3 Hitch.
    Whenever I get pulled over for speeding I do the following:

1. put down both windows.

2. Put both hands on steering wheel.

3. Look at the officer in the eyes and wait for instructions.

4.Before I start looking for wallet/drivers lic/registration, I verbally ask for permission to look for said items.

5. I ask why was I pulled over, and accept culpability w/o BS.

6. Address to the officer as: officer/deputy/trooper, depending on jurisdiction. If I see stripes or bars, I'll address them as Corporal, Sgt or Lt (yes I have been pulled over by Lt's... twice!).

7. After they let me go I wish them a safe day and a "be careful out there", and I mean it.

I have been pulled over 20+ times. Only four written warnings and no tickets.

My question is are LEO's more likely to be "nice" to civilians (non cops) that are courteous and respectful and NOT give them a bunch of bs for speeding, rolling stop sign or in my case once running through a red light? (red light thing only happened once and I've NEVER done it again)

Your thoughts?

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    suckass:D

just joking good job!

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    :jellydance:

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    middiedefense

middiedefense like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    GA, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab. V6, 6spd, sr5, 4x4, OME 3" kit
    OME 3" Complete kit, TRD O/R Wheels (rattle can flat black), Black Badges, Ultra Gauge
    More likely to write someone for being an asshole then to not write them for being polite. But I guess it doesn't hurt.

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  6. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    9 times out of 10 I've already decided if I'm gonna write the ticket before I even make contact with the driver

Politeness could mean the difference between a courtesy summons and a trip to the jail...or how many tickets I write though

7. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    anormis

anormis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    St. Charles MO.
    Vehicle:
    BarcelonaRed 2010 D.C V6 4.0 Liter 4x4
    Hunter trucks brush guard, pcd performance chip, tailgate theft mod,blacked out badges, painted engine cover, black tail lights, modded mud flaps, painted black grill, seat belt beep mod, rear TSB!.yellow fogs red led map lights. Painted switches black, painted hood scoop, black center console and overhead console. Black wheels! Red calipers.
    I have been pulled over one time for speeding it was about 2 am and no one was on the hwy but me. Cop pulled up behind me with no headlights on and then he turned his spotlight on in my rear view which made me slow down. Once I slowed down his reds and blues turned on. I pulled over and did all that you said. i addressed him as sir and was vary polite and when asked why I was speeding I told him I had the house keys and my g/f was siting in her car waiting to go in side because we only had one set of keys. The guy insisted that i had drugs in my truck and demanded a search. I told him the truck was clean but i would love to get out in the rain w/o a coat while he had a look for himself. So i got out of the truck as directed and he searched me, my shoes, my belt ect. then he searched my truck. Surprise surprise not a damn thing on me. I know i could have said no to the search b/c he had no reason to do so but i really just wanted to get home. After the 40 minute stop the asshole still wrote me a $100 speeding ticket. He then followed me all the way home with his brights on. If i ever see this dude off duty we will share some words about how to not be a dick-head. I will also thank him b/c hat ticket has raised my insurance. WTF COP! Were you just board or were you fresh out of the academy and needed to prove your self! Rant over.

8. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have a special box under my truck, so if a LEO gets behind me, and turns on his lights to pull me over, I hit a switch, and it opens the box, which is filled with a variety of donuts, and dumps them onto the road. At that point, I can make an easy escape.......

9. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I see. Would it be because of the infraction?

For the record, other than State Troopers, I've never been pulled over by a "transit division cop", I've heard those guys are merciless. But then again they generally have a gazillion antennas and all kinds of crazy light, so the can be spotted a mile away. Unmarked "transit cops" OTOH...

10. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Pics or it didn't happen...

11. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    I got my truck searched back in high school.. all they found were bullets empty beer cans and a pack of cigs.. cop didnt say a thing just looked and smiled and said "get a tool box"

12. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    dam...you got me.....

Truth is, When I get pulled over, I turn on the interior lights (if at night), and roll down all the windows, and keep hands on the wheel. Being as my CCWP shows up with a plate read, when the officer asks, I inform him of the location of any weapons I have with me. Uppon request of license, etc., I let him know where my license is, and that I will be reaching for it. Then I give him my paper work, and wait patiently for the outcome.

13. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    anormis

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    St. Charles MO.
    Vehicle:
    Hunter trucks brush guard, pcd performance chip, tailgate theft mod,blacked out badges, painted engine cover, black tail lights, modded mud flaps, painted black grill, seat belt beep mod, rear TSB!.yellow fogs red led map lights. Painted switches black, painted hood scoop, black center console and overhead console. Black wheels! Red calipers.
    i have always thought of replacing my spare with a big oil can filled with something with a quick release hatch and switch in the cab for an easy escape. I design that kind of crap all the time for random projects i do. Its inexpensive and easy to pull off. But that is a pipe dream for later in life when the zombies start killing people.

14. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and an Evenflow car seat in the back seat
    Why didn't you just do the "oil slick" mod? :laugh: :spy:

15. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    A little lift & some extra steel....

And I guess that 1 time is when it's a super hot female with an extra nice disposition towards you? :D

16. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    TennesseeFan76

TennesseeFan76 I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill Goodfactor
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DCLB
    3 inch lift, Debadged, 5% Tint, Custom Stereo, BHLM, Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals, OEM Bedmat, Plasti Dip Front Valence, Slims 6K HIDs (thanks goes to TheGloryFades), Hyper yellow fog lights, LED interior lights, Satoshi Grille with FJ Emblem, Pro Comp lights behind Satoshi, FatMat
    Hope that my firefighter tag and I.D. get me out of a ticket! It usually does. Professional courtesy goes along way. I'm lucky cause I do tend to drive fast.

17. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    Duaneyo1

Duaneyo1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    St Peters MO
    By all mans be nice and polite, but there's plenty of good and lawful reasons not to consent to a search: You have some where to go. He's a cop not a maid and you don't feel like cleaning up after him. Besides, if they actually see or smell something they can and will search anyways. They won't even bother asking your permission first. If you happen to be a drug trafficer, mobster or a terrorist your criminal defense will go much easier if you did not consent to the search. ...

So Repeat these words after me:

"How can I Help?"

"I am sorry Officer, but I do not consent to searches."

"Officer, Am I being detained or am I free to go?"

"Thank you for the ticket Sir. I will get that light ( that isn't even broken) fixed on the way home. Have a good evening."

18. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC SR5
    WeatherTech liners, Kenwood Media Receiver, Alpine S 6x9 speakers, Sound Ordnance 8" Sub, OEM running boards, MK6 wheels, Dynapro ATs, Tint, Bed Mat, Avid light bar, KC Daylighters
    I hate how they sit on 70 where it goes from 70mph to 65mph gunning speeders while STL has one of the highest murder rates in the country. Not that Wentzville is STL but come on...

19. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    well i have only been stopped one times in 4 years! my first 4 years of driving at that. :D

i had only had my license like 2 or 3 months, it was like 9:15 to 9:30 at night. (permit we can drive till 10pm and first year of license you can drive till 11pm) i went to windys and was on my way home. wendys is not far from the red light that i had to turn left at and i was on the right had to cross 3 lans. i turned saw the cop thought nothing till he pulled out be hind me. lights came on right away! i did like you do turned car off hands on wheel. i thought ok no big deal. well some how when i left windy’s and put my turn signal on, i flipped it to hard or just right and turned my head lights off. parking lights wear on. he asked why i did not have them on. i told him i just left windys (still had my frosty in my lap) and i must have bumped them just right when i put my turn signal on. he ran me, came back and told me make sure you don’t bump them off agin.
    also ask if it was my first time being pulled over. i said yes sir. told me i was really calm.

pretty good recored for being 20 if you ask me. :D

20. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    anormis

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    St. Charles MO.
    Vehicle:
    Yup he got me on 270 right before hyw 30. but i know where you mean i would drive past the airport every day and watch a line of cops picking people off in that double fine zone.

To Top