1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When you pulled over a driver...

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by The Driver, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    scocar

scocar being weird again....still

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB x4 SR5, 01 Xcab TRD x4 V6 Man. SR5
    01: OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    And always keep the rotating blades sharp so they don't get stuck in the bodies and slow you down...it's just good common sense.

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    The Driver

The Driver [OP] Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO. I'm from Tampa. I
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, Class 3 Hitch.
    Just got the taco back in Nov/2011, officer. All my speeding has been on my sports cars (two Porsche's and two Miata's).

Quite frankly I resent your post. Speed DOES NOT KILLS. Inattentive, distracted, IMPAIRED and drivers w/o proper skill set do.

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and an Evenflow car seat in the back seat
    It's all good, I know it's frustrating when the thread gets high jacked or at least thrown off topic though.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    Speed is a contributing factor is MOST fatal collisions

Period.

Whether or not it was exacerbated by other factors is a moot point...a driver involved in a collision over 80mph has something like a 2% chance of survival

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    And you can resent it all you want, but just because you think you have the "skill set" to operate a vehicle at higher than posted speed limits doesn't mean anyone around you is capable of reacting to how you're driving and doesn't give you any special privileges in regard to obeying the laws

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    WEZZA83

WEZZA83 TX Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Toytec with 5100's 5% Tint
    I've been a cop for 5 years and never wrote a speeding ticket. I mainly stop for insurance violations (mostly no insurance) write serious tickets and tow their car. So put it this way if I'm not towing your car your not going to get tickets.

7. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I'd agree to disagree on your first sentence, and concede on the second one, as I have no data at hand to dispute

You got me all wrong. I was honestly asking if the fact that I was courteous played any hand on whether I got the ticket or not. I'm not asking for special privileges of any kind. If I get a ticket, I'll pay for it. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime, right?

But something I have observed in ALL my travels is that less than 15% of drivers ACTUALLY stay within the posted speed limits.

Obviously some drivers get pulled over and some get tickets, and others don't.

Trying to study a trend if you may.

8. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    So, just because you've never gotten any speeding tickets, you think it's okay to speed and that you are "special" so you don't have to follow the laws?

Let me find those officers that let you off and :smack: them

9. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Please observe around you when driving. Then set your cruise or stay at the speed limits and tell me what you see?

That MOST drivers are speeding. This isn't just me. Society in general have already voted with their accelerator pedal!

10. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Wow...you got getting out of tickets down but you must be doing something to warrent getting pulled over 20 times (i've been pulled over once in 40 years of driving.) Is there something that you can change with your driving habits that would save the officer from having to waste their time with you?

11. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I guess I could. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

12. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    You're right...I had my facts a little skewed...spee is a contributing factor in 1/3 of fatal collisions which isn't most...but regardless...that's a whole bunch

http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffi...factor-in-one-third-of-all-fatal-crashes.html

13. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    i gotta say.....I find it funny that many, if not most, people that have a sports type car, think they are automatically netter drviers than 90% of the ones on the road. These same drivers seem to be the ones behind many (if not most) high speed accidents.....

14. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    Another thing.....I have a few friends that actually race for a living, and they seem to be the ones who drive the most prudent on the roads......They often tell me things like "Im not scared of the traffic, but rather the dumb people behind the wheels..." etc.

15. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and an Evenflow car seat in the back seat

True. I've known people that got stopped and got a "warning". I got my share of speeding tickets in my younger days, I NEVER got off with just a warning. I was always polite and cooperative. So I've always wondered why I never got out of them. Of course a majority of the ones that I remember getting warnings were female. :rolleyes: :crapstorm:

16. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    QFT

17. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I too have friends that race for a living, and some of those guys had their drivers suspended!

You know what scares me? People that think that it's ok to text/eat/put make up/ ect. while driving.

But this isn't about ANY of that.

18. Feb 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    If they lost their license due to traffic violations, then they arent very profesional race drivers, and I would question their skills.

19. Feb 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I don't really expect to get out of a ticket by being polite myself. I've only been pulled over once. I was out of state in Delaware and got stopped by a Trooper for doing 65 in a 50 on a back country road. Was polite, kept my hands on the wheel, told the trooper where I had to reach to get my registration, etc. He was nice to be in return, but I still got a ticket, which I was fine with I was speeding and he was doing his job. I almost thought it was kind of funny seeing as that was the first time in years of traveling that road that I had ever seen a cop on it and that first time I get a ticket. Ticket was only $58 and I had the trooper laughing when he was explaining to me what to do if I wanted to fight the ticket and I told him it would cost me more in beer and gas money to come back down there to fight the ticket.

20. Feb 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I drive the speed limit in town, 5-7 mph over on the highway, and I actually STOP, not slow down for stop signs. In the last 17 years and 300K or so miles, this seems to work well. Only two incidents involving body damage. Once I was hit from behind while completely stopped at a red light, once some asshat backed into me in a parking lot.

I've been pulled over one time, about a mile from home. The officer clocked me at 56 in a 35 zone. The 35MPH sign was placed where a 50MPH sign was two weeks prior to me getting stopped.:mad: Apparently I don't look at speed limit signs in familiar areas all that often. He wrote me, but said he could have written the ticket under a different code that would have made it more expensive. I don't know whether that's true or not, maybe he did me a favor, maybe not. But he ignored, or didn't see the tinted windows, so maybe my polite "yes sir, no sir" was a factor? I know that in my job, I charge people according to their attitude.:D

To Top