1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When you pulled over a driver...

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by The Driver, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Nov 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Kenwood CD, MTX/Jensen amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I got pulled over a lot as a teenager. While I don't pretend I never did anything wrong, I grew up in a small town and there were several officers that had hard-ons for kids driving sports cars (which I had several of). That and my penchant for blasting "Cop Killer" by Body Count during a stop after a while..

The few times since then I've made sure to be polite even when I wasn't doing anything wrong and had much better results..more flies with honey

2. Nov 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    staymates788

staymates788 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    Anaheim, CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed w/ TRD Sport
    Correct, you are not required to answer anything and you do have the right to "plead the 5th".

But if someones refuses to answer a question about a simple traffic violation, they just sound like an idiot "street lawyer".... And still end up with a ticket and no compassion from me. In fact, that move might help them end up with an additional citation for something I may have just let go; i.e. expired insurance card, not updating address on license or vehicle registration, etc.

You're better off just playing dumb & ignorant by saying "I don't know" rather than, "It's my right not to answer your question."

3. Nov 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Kenwood CD, MTX/Jensen amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Like anyone else, if you want to understand why an officer acts as they do, you have to understand the thought process.

I read a couple of books on the subject, plus have a relative on the LAPD and the following always seem to come through:

Police are targets. This is driven home anytime something happens to an officer and it is reported in the media, be it an accusation or an assault/murder of an officer. Every time an officer deals with a person they don't know if that might be that time. You can go a long way by allaying the officer's fear.

Never argue. You will lose, and it will be by getting a ticket. If you plan to fight it, don't tell them. My friend once tossed out a name of someone he supposedly knew in the legal system during a stop. He fought the ticket and believe me the officer had a few verbatim smart-ass quotes from my buddy's mouth. Not a time to stand out.

4. Nov 29, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    This.

Most times when the person owns up to the violation I cut them a break. I usually only write for moving violations not equipment violations- a burnt out bulb shouldn't cost a person $96. I also don't stack tickets. But if they come at me with that street lawyer crap, full boat.

5. Dec 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    The Driver

The Driver [OP] Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO. I'm from Tampa. I
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, Class 3 Hitch.

Mmm, so... Any plans for Friday evening? ;)

:D

6. Dec 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    mercurymullet

mercurymullet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    bronco frame under a mountaineer
    I was just cruising this thread bc I posted a question for you guys. But I always admit to the obvious. A officer pulled me over for a seat belt and when he asked why I was stopped I said seat belt. But in the long run I couldn't find my registration (had one for my quad, car and quad were hondas) and I still had an out of state liscense but had been out of the military for 6 months. Cop was really nice, wrote me a seat belt ticket, overlooked the rest and gave me directions to where I was going. I'm always nice, most cops I know don't really enjoy traffic stops, so I just try to make it less of a headache.

To Top