1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where are my plowing tacomas?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by chileno4life, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dec 23, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    chileno4life

chileno4life [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Brandy Station, VA/ Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    Just looking for any tacoma owners that plow snow. Preferably with their tacomas but any light trucks are welcome. I'm looking for insight on good plow systems, limitations with us having light trucks, and anything you can tell me about getting into plowing for some extra $$. Thanks TWers.

2. Dec 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I saw a few gen1 Taco's with plows on them this past storm. Plowing really beats your truck up. Very rarely do i see new trucks with plows on them unless they are in charge around here. I also see some old GMC Jimmy's with plows.

I would say our truck is a little to light to do serious plowing. I think it would be too much wear and tear IMO. If you are going to do your house and a few other people you can get by I would think. Say if you live in a remote area. As for every storm plowing, I say leave that to the big trucks.

3. Dec 23, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    i agree with RB. plowing can really take its toll on lighter trucks. on the other hand i have seen people plowing with jeep wranglers for years. and i know my 09 tacoma v6 has a lot more power than my 03 wrangler. so with that being said the only good option i could recommend from reading online is the " Snoway" plow system. the bulk of the blade is made out of the same material as aircraft windows. if you google "snoway plows" you can read all about them. they cost some money but i think they might be better for the lighter trucks. good luck.

4. Dec 23, 2009 at 4:43 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Concidering his location, for the amount of snow you will actually move,
    A. Is it worth dropping all that coin on a plow setup?
    B. What are you trying to plow?
    C. You may be better off buying a Northern Junker w/ plow. It will cost as much as installing/buying the new plow system.
    D. If you are still going to buy the plow regardless of these questions, then you should be just fine if you stick with a smaller blade.

5. Dec 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    chileno4life

chileno4life [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Brandy Station, VA/ Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    Well i am stationed in NC but commute normally to northern VA. I realise its nothing like the snow you all get up north but we do get a nice amount. Nice as in manageable. Im just looking for something that i can use on some driveways in the neighborhood, maybe the parking lot at my fire department. sno way definetly looks the best for the tacoma platform but you bring a valid point that i will find an older vehicle with a plow setup for the same price. This does mean more maintenance, taxes and such but it gives the family a beater to take to the landfill and other misc. crap. I will keep both in mind, definetly. thanks for all the help.

6. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Depends on YOU.....Couple of the "Yota" owners up here have Fisher blades, MM style......plates stay on the truck BUT when not plowing the whole unit stays grounded;)...plug & plow.....:)...or go for their "Homesteader",poly plow and still MM...

If you have the "means" try CL...plenty of them for sale up here in New England right now.....

S

Products Discussed in

To Top