1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where can i find 12v switch power at the rear of the truck?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rosscopeeko, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Aug 10, 2017 at 9:32 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Rosscopeeko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    I'm installing a backup camera in my 08 tacoma along with a new pioneer avh-4800bs. I've got the deck all ready to install and i'm going to install the camera tomorrow. I looked around with a power tester today under the rear of the truck. The only 12v power i could find back there was at the trailer 7 pin. I plan on splicing into the black wire for power. I don't really like this because it will see a lot of moisture in the winter months. I'm not sure if i should cut the wire and but connect the wires with shrink tubing, or T splice into it for the camera power. The camera instructions also say i should use a relay. I bought one tonight and plan on installing it. What did you guys do for camera power at the rear of the truck?

2. Aug 13, 2017 at 12:54 AM
    Purpleman

Purpleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    Run a wire from the camera to the back of the radio.

3. Aug 13, 2017 at 1:02 AM
    Doublecross

Doublecross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    New york
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    ARE cap, wade inchannel vent visors, weathertec floor mats, ranch hand grill guard, tuffy security boxes in bed, lockable tailgate handle. Still have stuff that needs to be installed and still have stuff ordered lol.
    usually when when i install a backup camera to put power to the camera i splice into the reverse wire so the camera comes on when the truck is in reverse.

4. Aug 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma limited
    When I install cameras ( which I do about 7-10 a week ) I will run power with the rca because it needs to go behind the radio anyway. ( this is if we are talking about aftermarket camera and stereo ) rev signal can be weak or dirty power. Another advantage to wiring it this way is bec
    Abuse if you have a reputable radio, many of them you can can see the image while in any gear in addition to reverse. ( nice if your hauling or want to see behind you while driving )

Purpleman and Rosscopeeko[OP] like this.
  5. Aug 13, 2017 at 9:56 PM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    Thx for the replies guys. Well I installed everything before I got replies and the camera doesn't work. I tapped into my black trailer plug wire for power and tapped a ground into the underside of the box metal. I spliced into the reverse wire and connected that to the corresponding wire on the back of the pioneer. I might have misunderstood the instructions, or I chose the wrong wire for power. I ran the rca under the truck with loom. Not going to be fun if I have to pull the wire and redo it. I'll try to attach the instructions. Thx again guys

IMG_2636.jpg

6. Aug 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    The black wire is for auxiliary battery charge. If your truck doesn't have the relay in the under hood fuse box, there will be no power to that wire.

Have you verified voltage to that wire?

7. Aug 15, 2017 at 11:12 AM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    I'm out of town right now but I'll check tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that trailer wire has power. It seems to charge my trailer battery when I tow.

8. Aug 22, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    Rosscopeeko

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 sport
    Here's an update and to help anyone who wants to install a back up camera on a 08 and prior tacoma. If you have the trailer package with the 7 pin plug receiver, you can splice into the black wire for ignition power for the camera. Ground the camera somewhere near the rear of the truck. Run the rca up to the deck and use your stereos camera trigger wire and run it into the red wire with white stripe found behind the drivers side kick panel. Remember to activate your camera on your head unit. This is where i failed. I didn't realize i had to go into my head unit's settings and turn the camera on. It works perfectly. By powering the camera with ignition power, you can turn the camera on any time. Useful if towing. I am running a pioneer avh-x4800bs and a auto-vox Amazon camera. Looks good. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

Products Discussed in

To Top