1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where is my Leer leaking from?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by BrotherBudro, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Oct 28, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    BrotherBudro

BrotherBudro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab, V6 4X4
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    We got a pretty good rain last night and I've got some water in my bed that I can't explain. I know it is leaking from the front corners, but this is towards the rear. Car was parked on a slight driver-side rear incline all night for the pics

Leak #1: Drip between the "Tacoma" part of the bed mat and the tailgate. It looks like splashes, so I assume it's coming from on high, as opposed to leaking somewhere else and streaming in. But the headliner isn't wet and I can't find any wet spots around the windows or back glass.
    Pics 1-3

Leak #2: Bottom of the tailgate (which I have covered with this, under the plastic tailgate cover). I can see it pooling on the gap cover but I'm not sure how it's getting there. Up under the plastic tailgate cover?
    No Pics of this

Leak #3: Back corner piece near where the bed meets the tailgate. This also looks like splashes, but I didn't drive the car at all, so the light splashes there seem weird. It could be coming in on the sides of the tailgate. I have that area sealed with this and I don't have any issues on the opposite side of the tailgate, so I'm leaning away from that explanation.
    Pic 4

Bonus Question: When I took the plastic tailgate cover off, I wasn't paying attention to the bolts, I thought they were all the same, turns out they aren't. If I try to put the top screw (in pic 5) where it doesn't go it just spins, but never goes any deeper, leaving the head sticking up a good bit from the tailgate. The problem is they don't seem to go anywhere, only the bottom screws seem to go all the way in. Any ideas here?

[​IMG]

2. Oct 28, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    L J

L J Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport DCLB
    Easiest way to find leaks is with a garden hose.

3. Oct 28, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    ElBlancoTaco

ElBlancoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    If the rain came in during rain, get it all dried out and climb in the back and have somebody hit it with a hose - preferably while standing on a ladder. You should have an answer within a few minutes.

4. Oct 28, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    Why didn't I think of the ole water hose trick?

3rd brake light is leaky. Glad it's definitely a Leer issue, will be heading back to the installer next week.

5. Nov 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    Jeremy4x4

Jeremy4x4 Zero frucks given

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr5 4x4 double cab
    3by2 level kit 285 70 17 nitto tires,
    Get in side at night and shine a flash light at all seams have someone out side to let u out lol and mark the areas where light can be seen with masking tape

6. Nov 5, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    BrotherBudro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    This generally works, but they used clear silicone to seal up the holes. Hindsight: use black.

Jeremy4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 5, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    smikski

smikski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 2.7 - 3 pedals
    skid plates , leer cap , thule roof rack , tires 1 size up
    I have a leer cap , 2 sets of new windows , and it still leaks a little

Products Discussed in

To Top