1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where might I be leaking brake fluid?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tenzing, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jul 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    Tenzing

Tenzing [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Northeast
    Vehicle:
    95 Manual Xtracab 4x4 Taco
    Awesome Skull Cigarette Lighter
    Kinda noobish question, so bear with me.

When I bought my truck in March (99 4wd 2.7 Xtracab) I had the dealer put on new rotors and pads. A week later, the rear brakes wouldn't disengage, so I took it to a shop where they bled the brakes but ended up replacing the hoses, master cyl, and proportioning valve. This was all done by April.

Flash forward to Sunday. My brake light had been on for some time, but having owned a Taco in the past I thought it was the emergency brake cable. On Sunday the brake pedal was having a really long throw before it engaged. It had gradually been getting worse but it was very noticeable then. I checked my brake fluid and found the reservoir to be nearly empty. I bought some more and added to the max line. I drove 300 miles home, didn't drive Monday or Tuesday, Wednesday I drove 10 miles, and today I drove 5. The brake light came back on and when I checked, the fluid had fallen to minimum.

There was a wet spot in between the passenger front wheel and the engine, further back than forward. It felt and smelled like water, but I don't have a lot of experience.

Any ideas before I take it in to get looked at?

2. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Sounds like you found your problem area but have someone push in the pedal while you're underneath. Look around where you think the leak is coming from, it sounds like one of your hoses may have a leak or one of the connections may be loose.

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    I would need to add brake fluid to my '95 a few times a year, but nowhere as near as often as you describe. I would make sure all of the lines are tight, especially from the passenger side. Good Luck

To Top