1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where the #*@! is My Coolant Going??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billygoat, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Oct 24, 2016 at 11:39 PM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    Does anyone know of any common coolant leaks/locations in the 2nd gen 4.0 V6 Tacomas?

When I changed my oil a week ago, I noticed my coolant was low. Very low, as in almost 2 liters low. I hadn't checked it for a while, and the oil looked like ordinary dirty oil, so I replaced the radiator cap and topped off the radiator. The overflow bottle stayed full, so I figured no worries. Tonight it occurred to me to pull the radiator cap, and sure enough it could use another 2 liters. It also hissed like it was a vacuum in there and sucked in a bunch of air when I opened it. When I look into the filler neck, I can see that the coolant level is right around the top layer of fins/around the height of the bottom of the upper radiator hose, which is exactly where it was last time.

My truck has never overheated, and I haven't noticed any puddles under it, although it's rained a lot lately and I park over dirt/mud/grass at home so I wouldn't normally see puddles unless they happened during the day somewhere else during good weather.

I'm terrified that it's a head gasket (it's a 2005 4.0 V6 with 166k miles and I just read about that issue for the first time), but it's only been about a week/150 miles since the oil change and 2 liters seems like a lot. The check engine light is off. The engine runs fine. There was some ordinary condensation in the exhaust the last time I started it, but nothing that made me think head gasket.

Tomorrow I'm going to use a block tester and check the cooling system gasses. Hopefully it's not the head gasket, considering how much of this truck I just replaced (shocks, ball joints, clutch, throwout bearing, brake lines, bump stops, skid plate, etc).

Has anyone ever troubleshooted a coolant leak on these engine before? Are there any known weak spots aside from the head gasket?

jtaco11 likes this.
  2. Oct 24, 2016 at 11:45 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Look around the engine compartment, check underneath it. How did the oil look last time?

3. Oct 25, 2016 at 1:31 AM
    3coma

3coma my kid says my truck is "Boss"

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    Vehicle:
    19 dcsb sport cement 4x4
    I once had a pinhole in front of the fan that I couldn't find til it got worse. It wouldn't leak until it got hot and the fan blew any evidence away while driving. Was extremely frustrating. That was on a first gen though.

4. Oct 25, 2016 at 5:41 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Rent a coolant system pressure tester. The mass marketer auto parts stores have them. Go on youtube and check out usage videos. These are good for finding "external" leaks. I had a similar issue years ago. The pressure tester revealed the culprit.

If this doesn't help you may have an "internal" leak - head gasket. Hopefully not.

Torspd and Clearwater Bill like this.
  5. Oct 25, 2016 at 5:43 AM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    about once a year I have to add to my overflow tank (20k+ miles)

AR15xAR10 likes this.
  6. Oct 25, 2016 at 6:41 AM
    08tacobear

08tacobear Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 taco DCSB pre runner V-6 SR5
    12v accessory plug right rear bed bin,1gallon air compressor setup in left rear bed bin, 3-window bed topper.
  7. Oct 25, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    It does sound like a head gasket.

8. Oct 25, 2016 at 8:55 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    I am telling ya taste your exhaust water drops and spit it out, won't harm you one bit

if it is sweet in any way, head gasket. dead simple and fast test. taste like
    plain water ? then run it hard, and check one more time. not sweet, and no water in oil... likely not head gasket

9. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:29 AM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    Update:
    First off, it wasn't 2 liters low this time, it was about 1/4 liter low. Today I used a block tester with mixed results. Every time the fluid started to change color the system burped and it started sipping coolant, and I never got past aqua green. The oil looks fine. Still no codes. There was no visible exhaust out the tail pipe after it warmed up. However, there was still water in the tailpipe after it had been idling for almost half an hour, so I tasted it like 127.0.0.1 suggested, and it was bit sweet...not like candy, but not like water either. I also recall that I heard a swishing noise under the floorboards a couple weeks ago after I started it. I'm thinking it's the head gasket. And I just put $2000 into this truck. FML.

I'm waiting for some shops to call me back with estimates. I've done head gaskets before, but I don't have a garage where I live now, and would be doing it outside with the engine still in the truck. It gets crazy windy here, we get dust storms this time of year, and the weather can change almost instantly. I might be able to do it myself, but getting the heads decked would mean doing it during the week and probably at least 3 days of working on it. In the meantime I don't have another vehicle, so again, FML.

10. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:33 AM
    sivart7208

sivart7208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB TRD Off Road
    How is it shifting?

My 4.0 automatic's radiator failed allowing coolant into the transmission cooler and later into the transmission.. thus causing transmission failure.

Just throwing that out there.

11. Oct 25, 2016 at 11:55 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    If it is the head gasket, coolant will end up either in the exhaust, the oil or both of these.

I don't recommend the taste test, but when it's cooler in the A.M, start the engine and put a pan under the tail pipe end. Catch the condensation. There may very well be some(especially in humid areas). Eye-ball what you've collected. Does it look like clear water(OK) or do you see liquid whose color matches your coolant(not OK)?

Drain your oil. Capture it. Do you see the usual dark looking color(OK) or is it lighter in appearance - more of a chocolate brown(not OK)?

It is my opinion that there are leaking head gaskets and blown head gaskets. Neither are good, but the latter is a for-sure bearing killer. When/if it finally blows, the engine will overheat badly and run poorly. You may also notice a temp increase if it's in the leaking stage.

If a head gasket isn't sealing, your cooling system looses pressure and overheats the engine.

Also - check out post #7 in this thread:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/coolant-reservoir-bubbling-and-filling-up.437255/#post-12676768

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Crom and Sae68 like this.
  12. Oct 25, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    Kerrigan911

Kerrigan911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR, AC, 4x4, V6
    possible its weeping from your waterpump (especially if your on the stock pump with that mileage)?

ManBeast likes this.
  13. Oct 25, 2016 at 12:12 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Tasting any fluid or liquid from a vehicle doesn't sound all that appealing as everyone has different taste bud sensitivities.

14. Oct 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Pressure test as Lester said.

If you don't find an external leak that way, a compression test will tell you which head is the problem

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  15. Oct 25, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Fluids are different colors for a reason. Color blind can't tell.

All fluids have a different odor. Not everyone has the same reaction to smells. (you can make a living in the fragrance or food industry if you have a hyper sensitive nose)

All fluids taste different. It's why animals like coolant, and die from it if they can drink enough. Heavy smokers or excessive hot sauce users who've killed their buds may not be able to play well.

Point is, it's a fast old mechanic test that has worked for decades. Don't knock it unless you've failed at it.

16. Oct 25, 2016 at 1:05 PM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    Where is Foampile when we need him?? :)

17. Oct 25, 2016 at 1:08 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    First thing I'd do is replace the radiator cap. Coolant can evaporate through a defective cap, in fact, this happened to me on a fairly new 1998 Corolla.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    rogotoko and TexasWhiteIce like this.
  18. Oct 25, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Pink milkshake of doom?!? That sucks. I've only read of one other report here on TW, four years ago in this thread

Thanks for your post.

19. Oct 25, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    He's still sorting valve shims.

CurtB[QUOTED], Torspd and Jimmyh like this.
  20. Oct 25, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top