1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where to Begin?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jwh, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Feb 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    jwh

jwh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Howdy, my name is Josh, and I am a recovering car-abuse-victim. I have not been truck-owning for 2 years now.

Due to a move to the city, and gasoline costs putting me well beyond my budget, I last owned and drove my truck about 2.5 yrs ago. I've pretty much had a truck my whole driving life ('bout 22 years now), but thought I would be clever and save money a few years back. This was a mistake. I made a trip to the deer woods and after destroying the bottom of a dinky little 2012 Ford Focus, it dawned on me that I should never have trade my truck for a car. So, now I'm on the road to recovery. But I don't know where to begin.

If this thread should be posted elsewhere, please direct me thereto, and forgive the imposition of my story being placed in the wrong spot.

Where do I begin? I have never owned a Toyota, but have always loved the Tacoma. Regrettably, I am not very fond of the 2005+ body styles, however. Nevertheless, it is difficult to find a 2001-2004 4x4 for decent money. I am not adverse to restoring one over time, but it would be a trickle-little-here-little-there affair. So where do I begin?

What is safe max mileage for buying a used Tacoma somewhere between 2001-2004? I want something that is immediately dependable as far as going to and fro, but can work on restoration as I go. I am particularly looking for a manual transmission that also has cruise control. I know very little about the innards of vehicles, I simply know that I like the control of a stick, and the convenience of a pickup for hauling things, and a freedom of not being concerned while drivin' on dirt roads as to the safety of the bottom of my automobile.

Any direction from you more knowledgeable folk would be appreciated. Forgive the verbose multi-directional nature of my "intro."

Cheers

2. Feb 21, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    PROseur

PROseur Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJC TTSE/ 2001 Taliban Poverty DCSB/ 2017 6MT PRO / 2018 2.7L SR Utility
    Welcome
    Gen 1 rules

500k gen 1 is common. One recently went to 1M miles

Get one with 150k miles
    Maintain it
    Drive it till 500k

Products Discussed in

To Top