1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

where to start?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by quailhound, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    quailhound

quailhound [OP] Member

Member:
    So I'm in the market for a new (to me) truck and I want a Tacoma but I'm not sure where to start. This will be my dd but I also spend a lot of time in the mountains and desert hunting so good wheeling capabilities and ground clearance are important. I plan on doing a mid travel suspension and would like to run 33s. I also tow a small tent trailer and occasionally an 18ft bass boat.

I currently run an 05 gmc regular cab z71 on 33s. It does everything I need but at 200k miles its getting a little tired. It is also very limited on travel which I'm not fond of but I love the automatic rear locker. She also gets 17mpg city and 20 hi way which is nice.

So my question is should I start with a reg cab 4cyl 4x4 or a extra cab TRD off road to get where I want. I must say I am a bit partial to reg cabs.

2. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    If you are going to tow don't get the 4 banger.

3. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    quailhound

quailhound [OP] Member

Member:
    Why isnt a regular cab TRD 6 spd an option? It would be to awesome or what?

4. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Only Toyota can answer that. That would involve them both offering the TRD package on a regular cab which they don't and offering the V6 in the regular cab.

5. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Blueberry

Blueberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    T/X Pro named Blueberry by my daughter
    Custom Roofrack, Satoshi, Ammo-can in bed, Hi-lift, 2 HID Hella 700's, 4 Automatcentral 7" Offroad Lamps, 2 Hella Work/Bed Lamps, "Derp'd" Radio and Shifter Console, Anytime Fog-light mod, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, DTRL mod, Awesome TW sticker mod.
    I'd go for the Access cab 4x4. When it's all said and done you'll be glad you have the extra room behind the seat. Personally I bet the 4 cylinder will tow just fine. My old '78 HiLux with the 20R pulled our heavy ass popup camper without any trouble. I'd say the best advice though would be to go test drive a few different models and see what you think will best fit your needs. :)

Also, welcome to TW. :wave:

To Top