1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where's the sticky? Which Tacoma for me?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kerbouchard, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Which Taco for me?

1. TRD Off Road

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. TRD Sport

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. SL5

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Other, please note below

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Apr 14, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    I read through just about every post up until about page 85 in the 2nd Gen. Tacomas forum and have learned lots of great info, so thanks in advance.

I know this has been asked before in various forms, but I am still having trouble deciding. Most of the previous threads had certain requirements that made them have to go 4x4 or longbed, or any other restrictive settings. I also saw the 'which is better for offroading, sport or offroad' poll...no surprise there on the results.

In any case, I am going to buy a Tacoma sometime this week or early next and am still having trouble deciding.

Here are my must haves:
    Automatic transmsion(wife can't drive a standard)
    Enough room for a car seat in back(wife is due on July 30)
    Cruise control(I'm lazy)
    Towing package(I live a few miles from Lake Lewisville and need to tow a bass boat)

So, the car seat means I go DC. The towing package means I need another package, either the OR or Sport. The cruise control comes with both, so thats a plus, but now I am stuick.

Offroad is more expensive than the sport, even though invoice for the Sport is higher, which I don't understand, but who am I to argue. I live in Dallas so I probably won't be doing any serious off roading, so I don't think I want to pay more for 4x4.

So, considering all of that, I think I am down to an '09 Taco, DC, SB with a towing package.

So the big question, SR5, OR, or Sport? or does it matter much?

2. Apr 14, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    may want to consider the 4x4 because of the wet slippy boat ramps??? but the OR pre-runner will have the locker.

3. Apr 14, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2. Though I have the LS diff, I havent had any problems pulling my boat off of wet ramps, or even pulling it out from the beach.

4. Apr 14, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    The 4x4 gets less gas milege and is too much of an upfront investment considering I owe taxes and have a kid on the way.

I find it hard to believe that a two wheel drive truck with a V6 and a towing package can't put a 3000# boat in the water. If that is really a problem, there is something seriously wrong with the design.

Anybody have a stock Tacoma that they tow with?

5. Apr 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Like I mentioned above, I tow my boat (3000# +) with my truck just fine. As long as you get an limited slip diff, you will be fine. I get about 20 mpg +/- all the time, and about 15 mpg loaded with 4 adults, food, drinks, boat, and all gear. :)

6. Apr 14, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    SR5 with the tow package

7. Apr 14, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    I just had a dealer call me and he mentioned that the Offroad does not come with a backup camera...I've read on the forums that it wasn't something anybody cared about until they got it, now they can't live without it.

Is the back up camera and slightly lower price enough of a reason to go with the Sport?

Also, something about having an 'offroad' version of a truck without 4x4 goes against the grain. Dumb, or anybody else feel the same way?

8. Apr 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I belive on the '09's you STILL have the camera, but not the monitor. If you decide to have the cammera, its a simple install, and only around $100.00.

9. Apr 14, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Thanks for the info...it seems weird that the manufacturer would install a camera, but nothing to display it on.

In any case, that puts me back where I started. I was thinking the camera might be a good reason to go with the Sport.

Stupid Toyota with all their crazy options...:confused:

10. Apr 14, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Given the sounds of it, a PreRunner might be your best choice. I'm not sure the cost savings, but I imagine it's less than 4x4 packages. With the locking rear and clearance, you can do the rare offroading trip and be fairly capable (from what PreRunner people say).
    The next step sounds like Sport due to how you mentioned price. Additionally, the LSD will be more useful as you drive it on-road, and will give some peace of mind for your wife in adverse weather. You won't have the locking diff, but I don't think it's something you will use.

I probably didn't need the OR model myself, but I managed to put myself in trouble in my last vehicles and didn't want to see another tow truck unless it was a damn good excuse!

If I can offer some buying advice, try to check out an auto broker, who can do the haggling for you, find a better deal 90% of the time, and deliver the vehicle to your doorstep. They state the price to you, which you can walk away from, and take a small fee (something like $300) only once you agree to buy. I bought mine this way, and came under invoice with a 4.7% loan. To give you an idea, I got mine cheaper than a used Access Cab, and the loan beat all others by at least 1% at the time.

11. Apr 14, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    rod11

rod11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    This is the first I've heard about the OR not having the rear camera monitor. I test drove an 09 Off Road 2 weeks ago and it had it.

12. Apr 14, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Its not listed in the TRD Off Road Extra Value Package, but then again, in another thread somewhere in the archives, it set the OR package does not list everything it comes with.

Chickenmunga, as far as price, I did the Edmund.com thing and had several local dealers send me quotes. So far, the best deal I have been offered was a Black Sand DC, 4x2 with the Tow package, Off-road package, Vehicle Shield package, Running Lights, stereo upgrade, predator running boards, and floor mats for sticker price of 29,006 and his price to me was 25,500, with a 27,293 price out the door with Tax title and license.

I am waiting on a price for a comparable Sport model.

My wife's best friend also owns a Toyota dealership in East Texas, so whenever I get the best quote I can, I will see if he can beat it.

One thing I have been wondering about is, before buying your new Toyota, did you discuss the TSB's with the dealership to find out how they would handle them? Should I even expect them to handle them? It makes me a little nervous buying a new truck when I already know that there are service bulletins out on it.

13. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I did something similar, but found that the broker was able to negotiate better prices and did the work for me. I was actually able to beat the broker's price (which he matched), but it was a rare occurence. This is simply another tool at your disposal, and also the best way for people in a quick timeframe or who find auto buying difficult.
    Unfortunately, I can't compare apples to apples with your price quotes because different areas dictate different dealer invoice. A better comparison is to say, "I was offered $x above/below dealer invoice for my area."
    I will try to dig through my data and let you know what I paid in relation to invoice.

Consider this: You are purchasing something new. New means in perfect condition. Would you buy something if someone said, "Here is your new item, but this is broken and this doesn't work the way it is advertised."
    When you drive off the lot, it is yours, they have your money, and they aren't going to be as obligated/motivated to help.
    Inform the dealer that you will buy only on the condition that the TSBs are satisfied. If they cannot offer satisfaction or you question the quality of the work that will be performed, then look elsewhere. It may be worth buying from a person who cares more about the customer.
    My local service center at the dealership went out of their way to perform the leaf TSB - he made phone calls, performed the work knowing that my truck wasn't currently covered, and dealt with filing and paperwork to make it happen. He did this after I purchased. I will still stay informed and shop for the cheapest prices, but now I have a desire to get my future work done here or go out of my way to purchase parts through him.

14. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Get a Dcab TRD Sport 4x4 oh, and make sure its black sand pearl :p

If you are mostly driving in the city, than you might want to have the Sport, on the other side, if you are towing a boat and that stuff, you might want to get a 4wd also, just in case you need to tow your boat on a bit of mud or something..... just my .02

15. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    If you will never be going off road and don't need a locker for any reason, and want to save some money, go with the SR5. The sport looks much nicer with its paint matched bumpers and grille surround, but it is more expensive than the SR5, and it is still a well built truck. I have an 08 DC SB OR and love it, i haven't found a need for 4x4 in it yet, but my off roading mainly consists of off road trails and no rocks or mud, so a 2wd is plenty capable. But the only thing you will hate is how good the OR and Sport look. Look at used and you might be able to pick a nicer model for cheaper. Dunno if that was at all helpful, but its my 2 cents.

16. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    what the hell is a SL5 ?

17. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:42 AM