1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WHICH 2012 TACOMA DO I CHOOSE???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoNoire, Feb 8, 2012.

?

Which tacoma do I chose for my situation?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2012.
  1. 4WD V6 access Auto TRD (18 mpg avg) for $31k

83.8%
  2. 2WD I4 reg Auto (21 mpg avg) for $18,501

3.9%
  3. 4WD I4 reg Auto (19 mpg avg) for $23k

12.2%
  1. Feb 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    TacoNoire

TacoNoire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    cool, thanks for the tips.

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... some very good advice from experience there ... :D

3. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    ewrob

ewrob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernie
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Base Truck
    i just bought a 2012 access cab it does everything i want it to do,i do not go play in the mud anymore living where i do there is not much snow,i use my access cab for the dogs-groceries things such as that,if you are looking for a dd and not a toy i would go for the access cab 4 cyl,im averaging around 23 and i just got 1800 miles on her.i have the 6 foot bed so you can haul pretty good lot back there,i know i had 700 pounds on it the other day never bogged down once.

4. Feb 16, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    John Cheong

John Cheong Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 PreRunner
    33" falken rocky mountian A/T, 3.5" fabtech lift, Deck plate mod, Painted badges.
    go with the 4 banger 4x4 extended cab! hell if your gonna get a 4x4 may as well upgrade to a v6

5. Feb 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    The only way I would consider a 4cyl is in a reg cab with 5 speed manual and that ain't happening b/c manual sucks azz in the city. I like to just jump in the ride and cruz to some tunes. Manual shifting is only fun for sports cars, otherwise it's a chore and I'm a lazy bastard. :p

6. Feb 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    gbtoy4x4

gbtoy4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD AC OR 4x4 6sp
    Factory Silver Sport Grill, Gray TRD Shift Knob, BFG 285/75/16 AT's, Debadged, AFE Cai, TRD Short Shifter, Redline Hood Struts, Leer Topper, Budbilt Front, Mid+Xcase Skids, ELocker Skid, Icon C/O, Built Right UCA's, Rear 2in AAL w/Bilstiens, AP U-Bolt flip, 1" 4Crawler Body Lift, Relentless Front Bumper w/Lights + Sliders, Rear Breather Mod, 5 ProComp 7089 Rims, AP SS Brake Lines, Famous Fab HC Rear Bumper W/Swing Out Tire Carrier, Synthetic Brake Fluid, Synthetic Power Steering Fluid, Front Superbumps, Hood Blackout,
    What about a Pre-Runner off-road with a locker?

7. Feb 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    rydaniels

rydaniels Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl manual
    bone stock except tool box in bed
    I have a reg cab 4x4. Honestly I wish it had a little more power. The manual was a pain at first. I got used to it and all is well. Its really happy to be in 4th gear for some reason. It will get out of its own way on the highway and you can get going in a hurry if need be (just drop it into 4th). The good thing is my worst mileage was 21 mpg. My best was 25. It will do everything you need it to besides towing 6500 lbs like the V6. I am fixing to install a ladder rack to haul my 17 ft canoe. Ive loaded it down with fire wood and misc things and it handled it all like a champ. I wouldnt discredit the 4 cyl as it is a decent little motor. If you are looking for something cheaper and for your purposes of moderate use, you cant beat the 4x4 reg cab. Some would disagree with me but hey like people have been saying....try em all out and go from there. my truck was 20 grand out the door brand new. couldnt beat it.

8. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    Yeah I was debating it but I'm not a fan of stick for city driving. I'm actually going to wait until next year when the new direct injection engines comes out. I'm particularly paying attention to a possible direct injection 4cyl turbo 5 speed auto. I just wish they would put bucket seats in the reg cab again.

9. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    WickedTaco

WickedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DC TRD OR 4x4
    iPod Interface, Bully Tailgate Lock, ScanGaugeII
  10. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Bodz

Bodz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 4x4 DCLB
    3" lift, Xd Spy wheels, 265/70/17 Michelins, skid pan, fog lights tint, Flyzeye LED lights, ADVMonster LED lights, tri-fold tonneau, box divider........will it ever end? LOL
    Buy the truck that best "fits" for you, the one that won't kill you on payments but not so cheap that you have regrets later on. After driving junkers for many years, having a full-on beauty is a dream come true. The gas mileage is secondary to the joy i have driving my new baby.

Take many test drives and listen to your gut feeling. Only you can select the right truck for you IMHO

11. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    Sean76

Sean76 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Base Reg. Cab 4X4
    Enough already...test drive some trucks, buy the one you like, then post pics and specs and let us all pat you on the back.

12. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    rydaniels

rydaniels Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl manual
    bone stock except tool box in bed
    That was my thought too. I am looking to upgrade in a few years time as this truck was bought to get me through college and my fishing adventures. I am excited about the potential new engine lineup in the coming year or two. The bench seat is fine. I see no real need for buckets in a reg cab considering you cannot recline more than a degree or two. Its not that bad in the city but the obvious " toe tapping" is what gets in the way of it being easy to drive. My dad just bought a 2012 nissan frontier with the 2.5 4 cyl and I dont like it compared to the 2.7. Its a car engine adapted to the truck and it doesnt feel like a "truck" motor. I get better mileage in my 4x4 than he does with his 2wd. Also in comparing the numbers the 4cyl 4x4 has the most payload (1400 lbs) compared to the other models including the V-6 by a few hundred pounds here and there. Its a tough little truck, you just wont get anywhere fast.

13. Mar 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    MonkeyChief

MonkeyChief Detachable member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACORLR
    WTB Topper Lunar Rock 6’ Leer
    I like the front end actually, I think it's a cool change and brings the truck it's own look while bringing a more aggressive look. I think they missed on a few points for sure, some of them you can come up with cool solutions for.

Buy what you will want to drive, take care of and keep... don't sweat the cost since it seems like you can afford each of the trucks you are considering.

and yeah, I wanted the Tundra very badly myself as well. I thought about the Sequoia too but in the end, those beasts would have been temporary for me as parking around town and getting it into the garage would suck all the time. The tacoma has been easy in that respect.

Products Discussed in

To Top