1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which bike should I get? Imput needed!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by GREENMACHINE, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2012 at 1:29 AM
    GREENMACHINE

GREENMACHINE [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Newport, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 DOUBLE CAB 4X4 LONG BED SR5 SPORT
    Old Man Emu 3" lift/level kit w/ Dakar Leaf Springs, Husky floor mats, heavy duty horse stale mat cut to fit truck bed, goodyear All-Terrain wrangler, Maglite mod holder on driver seat, Magnaflow 18" muffler, mounted fire extinguisher, shovel, and ax in bed. Consel vault, grillcraft grill w/ relocation of horns, debadged, backup lights, Best Top Super Topper.
    I'm 6'3 180lbs and have I have been riding dirt bikes for years now and am wanting a street bike. What I'm interested in is something comfortable but is still sporty. I really like the naked/ standard bikes, but haven't had very good luck finding any used for sale. What make makes a good standard bike? I kinda like the idea of a bobber, sportster, or mid sized cruiser too. I'm still undecided on which I should get. Let me know your imput on standard vs. mid size cruiser. Or what make of bike I should be looking for. I'm looking for a used bike. Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks

2. Feb 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Enough modifications to piss the wife off!!
    I think you might change your mind about a Sportster if you sit on one at the dealer....even with forward controls you might be cramped up at 6' 3".

As far as a standard on naked....I've always liked the Yamaha FZ1's.....good amount of leg room for a "sporty" set up.

3. Feb 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    SmEYELey

SmEYELey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Whittier,Cali
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner White Tacoma
    Tint, Flowmasters Exhaust, King coilovers w/resi, tc uca & spindles
    X2 sat on a fz1 and im 6 '2 and was fairly comfortable also I dont know if honda still makes the bike but they made a stander style bike of the cbr.

4. Feb 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Suzuki TL1000s or a Honda Superhawk would both be a lot of fun. The v-twins would be a lot of fun for you coming from the dirt bikes.

5. Feb 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 5Spd Xtra Cab V6
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    FZ1 or SV series suzuki gets my vote.

6. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount
    A Sporty is not a 2 person bike. i do it but we only run short 25 mile rides. I'm comfortable as hell. Her not so much. I'm 5' 11" and I'm very comfortable with forward controls. 6'3" might be pushing it. And i think it would look like a mini bike with you on it. To me, at this point in my life, if you have a windshield etc it's not a bike. Drive a car. Naked all the way. There are lot of bikes that ride better and are faster than a Sportster. But, I love mine. When you find the bike for you, you'll love it too no matter what it is. Try them out and be realistic with your goals.

sportstermodded.jpg

7. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    rjg

rjg Yes

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Regular Cab 4x4 5 Spd 2.7
    LCE header, AFE filter, Blinglight Fogs, URD Short Shifter, Delay wipers
    Suzuki Bandits (600/650, 1200,1250) , Honda 919, Kawasaki Z1000 are several more nakeds.

Tacoma Mike, is your Sportster a 2000? Very nice! I had a 2000 1200 XL Sporty for years. My wife and I rode double all the time, several trips over 500 miles. It helped with a Mustang touring seat and sissy bar. Also helps that we are short! 5'8" and 5'2"!:)

Also, Spencers Seat Mod greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php will help with seat comfort. He does nice work to the stock seat for a reasonable price.

8. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Really depends on what type of riding you want to do.

If you want to just cruise, or ride 2-up with the 'ol lady, look into a cruiser. Since you have some dirtbike experience, I would recommend looking at an 1100cc cruiser.

If you want to hit the twisties, look at the SV or similar standard. As far as what size, in the sporty/standard style, I would recommend 600-750 cc. Please do not get a liter bike if this is your first street bike.

Also, take the MSF class if you have not. If you pass that, you automatically get your M indorsement, and no silly DMV riding test to take.

Best of luck. Riding is one of the best things to relieve stress, besides modding the taco of course.

9. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount
    Yes it is a 2000. Have a quick attach hi sissy bar for the wife. but she is sensitive to the vibs and has a little restless leg syndrome. So it's hard to go that far.

TY :)

10. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    IndianTaco

IndianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    sportsters are an ok bike but im at 6'2" and i felt cramped on it when i rode a friends. i when with a heritage softail and its a great bike imo but everyone is different. if i had to do it over again i would get an ultra glide

11. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    rjg

rjg Yes

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Regular Cab 4x4 5 Spd 2.7
    LCE header, AFE filter, Blinglight Fogs, URD Short Shifter, Delay wipers

Excellent info :cheers:

12. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    Tacomada

Tacomada Well-Known Member

Member:
    TBC - Canadiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Thought about the Kawasaki Versys? Rode one and liked it. Has the standard ish type of styling and would definitely accomodate a taller person. Likely not the best for 2 up riding.

13. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    If you're looking for a Cruiser I'd recommend a Star (Yamaha), Road Star. I had one for a couple years before I went with a touring bike. In my personal opinion it's the best cruiser out there.

14. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    11TRD

11TRD Soon to be west coast

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    RHLM (Red Headlight MOD), Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Toytech 2 inch AAL with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker,
    :popcorn:

What is your budget?

15. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    IndianTaco

Member:
    damn like the collection^^

16. Feb 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    11TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    RHLM (Red Headlight MOD), Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Toytech 2 inch AAL with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker,
    Thanks! I have a motorcycle hoarding problem. :D

17. Feb 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    IndianTaco

Member:
    i had that same problem:D

18. Feb 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    night trains are sexy..And i'm not a harley guy by any means.

19. Feb 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    11TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Me neither but that's a sharp bike man!

20. Feb 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    muddin

muddin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's on all four with some OME 885x's
    :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

this is what i am trying to get come spring time...such a great looking bike! I like what ya did to it!

to the OP...after riding a gsxr 600 for 3 years and now riding a harley (neighbor lets me take his street glide out whenever) i would just go right to a HD...nothing like it. I did however get all my speed issues out of my system with the crotch rocket...:D

To Top