1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

which company should i go to for gears?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by stunt man hans, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans [OP] DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    hello tw! again i come to you with a technical question to get the correct information and to draw from some of your experiences.i'm looking into gearing my reg cab as i'm about to put on a lift and run 33 inch tires. the whole lift thing was new to me so this is completely foreign to me lol. a little about my truck just so that you can have an idea on how i plan on using it. it's my dd and i enjoy the fact that it's reliable and pretty much brand new. the truck it self is a 2010 reg cab 4x4 5spd manual. i plan on installing a 3inch procomp lift this week and i plan on running 285-70 or75 either 16 or 17 inch wheel. like i said this is my daily driver and i use it to commute to my job and about town mainly on the road, but on occasion i do like to hit the trails. basically i'm looking to have the feeling power wise to return to where it was when it was stock and to lessen the mpg drain of running a much larger tire if thats possible. i need just for my piece of mind more than anything i guess the most durable set i can buy that is in a ratio that will do what i need it to. any suggestions? on gear ratios and brand's to consider would be a great help. even if i don't perform this mod straight away i would like to know what i'm saving for so i can get an idea price wise of what to expect. sorry for the wall o text.

2. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
  3. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
  4. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    thanks guy's. how hard is the actual job of installing them? i imagine the rear would not be that bad, but the front kinda worries me a little.

5. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    just get the complete 3rd member and clamshell from ECGS. Install of these parts is very easy.

6. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    n0rth

n0rth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    Another vote for ECGS they sell nitro gears, 4.88's is what I'm running sounds like 4.56's would be just about right for your needs. Swapping complete rear third and front clamshell is pretty straight forward and ECGS has a good write up for it on TTORA.

7. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i like tw most of the time, but there are times that this site is the shit thank you all very much. i'm absolutely going to give them a call on monday and see what the damage is for a complete setup. will this help out with the loss of mpg is it worth the price in the long run? either way i do believe i'm going to regear just unsure if i should do it up front or wait a bit.

8. Jun 5, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Depends on how long the run is lol but once you feel the difference in power and consistently higher mpgs than without gears it will be worth it.

If you want to keep a little coin you can just do the rear and do the front at a later date BUT if you go that route DO NOT use 4wd

Best of luck to ya bud, I wanna see some pics!

9. Jun 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    bowhunter11199

bowhunter11199 Well-Known Member

Member:

what about if you bought the rings and pinnins and took the 3rd members to a 4x4 shop had the ring and pinnion installed then you take them back and intall them on your truck?

just a thought

10. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    OP, this is probably your most affordable option. You do not want to try to tackle this job yourself. You also dont want to trust it to the shade tree mechanic that says he knows how. the gears need to be set just right or you will eat them up quickly. I didnt notice a drastic MPG increase. Maybe 1/2 a MPG. will be different with your truck. It did make a drastic improvement in the overall driveablility though. If you are going to order the gears yourself, do the research and make sure you get the right ones. there is a carrier break in the Tacomas and which gear set you can run without changing the carrier will be determined by which gearing you currently have. If you have 3.91 you will have to go 4.88 or change your carrier (much more money) to run 4.56. the 3.91s are in the 6 speed manual trucks. the autos have 3.73 and can run 4:56 without a carrier change but, need a new carrier for 4.88. I absolutely have no idea what is in a reg cab 5 speed. so make sure you research it carefully.

11. Jun 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i heard it mentioned elsewhere on tw that the reg cab has gear ratio of 4.11 that would sound about correct to me, but i will def be doing alot of home work on this one. i believe i will just take it to a shop to have them installed probably toyota dealership or some reputable shop that has experience doing these jobs and they will stand behind their work. this last post was good to know as i did not realize that the gear ratio your truck has from the factory dictates what ratio you yourself can instal. good stuff to know. thanks for the help.

12. Jun 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Do the research and find yourself a good off road shop or one that specifically deals with axles. I wouldnt trust a Dealership to do it correctly as this is not something they do on a regular basis. They usually just swap the whole axle/diff if there is an issue.

13. Jun 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    n0rth

n0rth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    You have 4.10's with the 5 speed, Again I will always recommend Chase @ ECGS he has excellent customer service and stands by his warranty. If you can find a local installer that is always a good thing but when I priced locally in AK the costs were outragous and I could not get any type of warranty from them in writing. I did a ton of research prior to going the exchange route and it worked out great for me. Here are some links for the install so you can see what you are getting into. Hope this helps there are other vendors out there with similar programs as well.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-788575-tacoma-non-eld-t100-tundra-3rd.html

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-157223-tacoma-fj-8-reverse-ifs-clamshell.html

This is from the ECGS website and explains the carrier swap.

Front 8.0 Reverse Diff:

"Brand new Nitro Gears, 4.56/4.88 Ring and Pinions
    New Koyo bearings can be added however all of are cores have like new bearings
    ARB units can be added in drop down tabs below
    This is an assembled Front 8.0 reverse Differential for 05+ Tacoma,4Runner, FJ Cruiser clamshell differential and includes shipping but does not include core charge.
    If you want 4.88 gears and have 3.73 gears and down you will need to add an ARB or a 3.90 and up carrier from the drop down tabs. If you have 3.90 and up gears and want 4.56 gears you will need the 3.73 and down carrier we will provide this carrier free of charge in exchange for your carrier while supplies last
    If you are waiting until you recieve new diff, to send your unit in, please select add core charge from the core charge drop down Tab. When we recieve your core, we will immediatly refund your core charge.
    We can also include a return shipping label with your new diff by selecting "Send return label" from the shipping drop down Tab. This will allow you to use our shipping discount. Just place diff in the package it came in, and take it to a UPS store or hand to a UPS driver. It will then be delivered to us, simple as that.
    Diffs will not be shipped with out a core or a core charge. If you want to send in your diff select "No core" a Call tag/ UPS label can be sent to the email address you provide in checkout by selecting "Send call Tag" in the shipping Tab.
    When you select call tag option or return label option you are giving us permission to charge your card actual shipping charges on diff that will not be stated at time of checkout. Shipping charges will vary based on location. East Coast shipments are in the $30 range and west coast shipments are in the $45 range. The alternative is to select "no shipping required" from shipping drop down tab, this means that you will pay to send in your diff or to return your core.

********We offer a 5 year warranty with all our assembled diffs on parts and labor, warranty only covers bearings and gears, if a spider gear failure causes damage to other parts we are not responsible. Locker failure is only covered under manufacturers warranty but we will install new locker free of charge. Warranty on 8" Toyota diffs is limited to 35 inch tires with a stock toyota motor. Tire size over 35 inches will be warrantied at our discretion if it is a set up error we will take care of it regardless of tire size. But if your running 35's and up and abusing it offroad we can only do so much. This is the best warranty in the industry and will outlast your factory warranty********

********We have a 48 hour diff return polciy if you send us a diff it will be shipped back to you with in 48 hours, typically they go out the same day but we gaurantee 2 days or we credit you $50********

********Questions are welcome please call for any missed details we tried to be as thorough as possible.******* "

Products Discussed in

To Top