1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Eibach springs for 6112s with extra weight?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Sna, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 20, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    Sna

Sna [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 trd sport 6MT dcsb, mostly stock?
    Will be installing Bilstein 6112s (600# springs) up front but I plan on getting a CBI Moab 2.0 aluminum bumper and winch installed a few months after. I also plan on installing a dual battery (group 35) setup this time next year.

Which Eibach springs (650# or 700#) would match the weight of the bumper, winch and dual batteries the best? I plan on setting the ride height to the 3rd or 4th clip on the 6112s.

thanks !!

2. Apr 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    Sna

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...

No one? The 650#/700# Eibach springs are the same height (14") as the ones that come in the 6112 kit but just have higher spring rates.

I was thinking 650 would be ok then a local parts guy said that he would go with 700 because all the weight adds up quickly. I agree that weight does add up fast but guys on here that run 700 usually have steel plate bumpers and steel skids which will be 100lb more than I will have.

3. Apr 24, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    Mountain

Mountain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Revelstoke BC
    Vehicle:
    15 Acess Cab TRD
    I have an all pro steel front bumper and on the third clip with the 600lb springs. It settled to 21.5" hub to fender and stayed there. I have at least 4000km and plenty of BC fire service road km's and they haven't droped at all. I was at 19.5 before the instal and no taco lean before or after instal. It does feel a little on the soft side but it rides really nice. I want to add some super bumps though as I do hit them from time to time off road. I don't have experience with the stiffer springs but would be worried about ruining the ride with the 700's and would try the 650's first.

4. Apr 24, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    2nd screen name

2nd screen name Tacodelaplaya

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    LV/SD
    Vehicle:
    06 AC Sport Prerunner
    Front: Maxtrac, DK heim UCA, 6112 Rear: AP expos, Fox 2.5 RR DSC Fn fivestar with General reds
    Yeah the 6112 spring can handle some extra weight. On my prerunner they stay pretty flat in corners and don't bottom out much even on bumps i dont see right away.

I think you should try before you change it. Your trying to adapt an idea that is old and now everyone knows sucks...5100 shocks with eibach springs or ordering some different springs from OME.

Icon /6112 are beyond OME/5100 as far as ride quality goes, no question. Fox <KING but they are another jump up. This is a different product, different manufacturer, plus its the internet and everyone has an opinion. Try them before you change it. Dont come back to complain because you changed its design.

Im just worried your going to ruin a great system with the wrong springs

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Apr 24, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    Sna

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    I am leaning towards the 650#'s since I will only have an aluminum front bumper. If I went with a steel front bumper, I would go 700#.

I am going with the 6112 kit but I believe the Eibachs are a good fit or places like Wheeler's would not sell them as an upgrade for heavier loads. I don't want to add lots of preload the stock 6112 springs to get my lift back once the extra weight is added on up front as they are only 600# springs.

6. Oct 25, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    TacoHugger

TacoHugger Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wylie
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR DCLB
    @Sna Just curious what you ended up doing, and how it worked out. I have the same concern ... steel hybrid bumper, winch, steel skids. Thanks!

7. Oct 25, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    Sna

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    I did end up with the 6112's with 650lb springs. The shop initially installed the front suspension on the top notch which gave me WAY to much front end lift (I also didn't have the armor on the truck). I ended up moving them down to the 2nd notch and things have been good there and should not cause any issues with the CV angles. The 650lb springs gave more lift without the weight being on the truck but once I did put those on, it still would have been way too high. I often think that I may have been ok on the 3rd notch but I was not looking for a huge amount of lift at this point. I ended up with ~2.25" of front end lift and about 4-4.5" in the rear with my Dakar leaf pack + the AAL. I have been very happy with the set up and the truck rides awesome and soaks up bumps great. I still confident that if I had a steel bumper and steel skids that I would have went with the 700lb springs to deal with the extra weight up front. My line of thinking is that, regardless of which springs I was using, I would rather have the front set at at lower notch 2 or 3 to let the springs do their thing, then to have them at a higher notch (increasing the preload), which may not be the best for ride and travel. This is all just what I have come to believe and YMMV due to what the intended purpose of your truck is. I hate doing things twice so I try to research the crap out of things and figure this stuff out so I can make the most educated decision.....it doesn't always work out but things have been pretty close so far.

ETA- just saw you have a 3rd gen and need to mention that the 6112's are slightly different than the 2nd gen as they have more notches for adjustment.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Island Cruiser likes this.
  8. Apr 29, 2022 at 4:31 PM
    BattleKat

BattleKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Offroad 4x4 - Army Green
    6112/5160s Icon RXT Leaf Pack (Option 2) Cali Raised 0-Degree Rock Sliders Cali Raised Bed Stiffeners Talon's Garage Cat Shield TRD Skid Plate ARE MX Interchangeable Yoda Dashboard Buddies
    @TacoHugger What did you end up doing on your 3rd Gen? What is your setup (added weight) and what sort of lift did you end up with?

9. Apr 30, 2022 at 5:27 PM
    Dalegribble02

Dalegribble02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savona British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 meg grey sold
    Dobinson mrrs Deaver leafs archive garage hammer hangers.
    Just food for thought with my arb bumper winch skid sliders and what not I have 720ish pound coils on the dobs mrrs and I'm sitting at 22.75 ish hub to fender.

Products Discussed in

To Top