1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which first? tires/align?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tyaker, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Apr 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    tyaker

tyaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Rockies
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" block/spacer lift
    Hey, guys... did a search and couldn't quite find anyone's ideas on this

Background: just leveled (sort-of... a lil' bit high in front) my '99 SR5 xcab w/ billy 5100's/OME 881's up front. I know I need an alignment, but as luck would have it, my too-soft Nokian Vatiiva's are wearing out. Gonna move up to some BFG T/A 31's, and I'm not sure what I should take care of first.

Should I align now, and then get the new tires? Or wait and get the alignment done at the same time? I figure they'd have to align before they install anyway, but will the worn rubber on the alignment make a huge difference?

Thanks for any help.

2. Apr 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    get the alignment done at the same time.

3. Apr 25, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Get the alignment after the tires. A nice fresh set of treads shouldn't make a HUGE difference- but you are better off getting the best alignment possible on the tires you'll be using for the next 25-40K imo.

4. Apr 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    tyaker

Member:
    Central Rockies
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" block/spacer lift
    Sounds logical, but what if, say, I go get the BFG's at Costco- by far the best deal on 'em around. They don't do alignments.

Will it work to get the rubber, then go get an alignment elsewhere? Or will the Costco techs refuse to do it?

5. Apr 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Naw...you'll be fine to get the tires there and then go elsewhere for the alignment (Firestone does 150 for lifetime alignments)

6. Apr 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    mustangwilly

mustangwilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB OR Quicksand
    Everytime I have purchsed 4 new tires and alignment they always did the alignment after the new tires were installed. I don't know if there is any reason behind that though.

7. Apr 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    tyaker

Member:
    Central Rockies
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" block/spacer lift
    right on... wish I had a Firestone in town. Just Big O and a few mom n pop shops.

Yeah, willy, I would think a proper balance would need a decent alignment first, but I ain't no rubber tech. Thanks for the advice!

To Top