1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which is better? Please help!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Austin.Hauge, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    You see, with the Off Road TRD you don't have to do 'hard core' off roading.... but you can if you ever want to!

When you spend that much money on a truck, why not get one that has the most ability on any road?

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    The TRD OR has function, whereas the Sport is more aesthetically oriented.

Most people don't need a rear locker, or A-TRAC... but both are nice if you plan on taking it offroad, even if it's only occasionally.

BTW, my personal opinion is that the Sport hood looks terrible, and I like it even less because it has no function.

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    :thumbsup:

Merged the Indentical threads into one.

Carry on

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Oh Goody

Another Sport vs Offroad pissing match

5. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Ain't that the truth ....

uh ....wait a tick

6. Mar 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    between the sport and the trd offroad i would choose the offroad.

way more for the same money... iirc the packages are both the same price

7. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i just looked on toyotas website and the trd sport package is 4,300 and the trd offroad is 4800

for 500 more id get the OR package...

i made out good and got my lil beater for 18,5 otd and couldnt be happier

its all about what you want the truck for

8. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Exactly

9. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    it also has to do with the configuration he wants. I notice you have a DCLB.

if the op wants that he cant get an OR:D

10. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    True .

FWIW , you can only get the OR package in an Access cab in Canada .

There is no DCSB OR here .

11. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i dont know, especially since it doesnt have anything additional like a mechanical lsd anymore. my base model reg cab has same traction enhancement of the trd sport

12. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    I would say, do what fits your needs. if your gonna be 4 wheeln, then get the off road package. dont let a hood scoop stop you from buying a off road package. if your gonna change shocks and tires then get the one thats looks cool to you. hope that makes sense. good luck dude!

13. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Takes a lot of effort to bang out that fake hood scoop and paint the trim!

In reality if you look at what you get I'm sure its expensive but it is essentially all a for-looks package.

So just ask yourself, will you use it off-road, or is it a mall crawler. If off-road, the OR package, if mall crawler or you care about looks more than function, get the TRD Sport.

TRD OR:

TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package: Off-road-tuned Suspension with Bilstein Shocks, Locking Rear Differential, 16" Alloy Wheels with P265/70R16 BF Goodrich Tires, VSC [4]+ATRAC in place of Standard VSC [4]+TRAC (4X4 models only) with Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) [5] and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) [5] (HAC & DAC available on 4X4 Automatic Transmission models only), Engine Skid Plate, Front Tow Hook, 115V/400W Deck Powerpoint, Fog Lamps, Power Outside Mirrors (Access Cab models only), Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Variable-Speed Wipers, Overhead Console with Compass & Temperature Gauge, Chrome Grille Surround & Rear Bumper, Color-Keyed Front Bumper & Overfenders, Smoked Headlamp Trim, Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, Sport Seats with Driver Lumbar Support and Sport Fabric Trim in place of Standard Bucket Seats (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls & Leather-Wrapped Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors & Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], TRD Off-Road Graphics

TRD Sport

TRD Sport Extra Value Package: Sport Suspension with Bilstein Shocks, 17" Alloy Wheels with P265/65R17 Tires, Hood Scoop, Color-Keyed Grille Surround/Bumpers/Power Mirrors (Access Cab models only)/Door Handles/Overfenders, Smoked Headlamp Trim, Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, 115V/400W Deck Powerpoint, Fog Lamps, Remote Keyless Entry, Cruise Control, Variable Speed Wipers, Overhead Console with Compass and Temperature Gauge, Sport Seats with Driver Lumbar Support and Sport Fabric Trim in place of Standard Bucket Seats (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls and Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors and Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], TRD Sport Graphics

14. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    X2

15. Mar 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I use my OR for camping and light offroading, so I'm not sure if I qualify but..

Ignore the person behind it, it means nothing. Look at the package details I posted.

Sport has some better shocks, and most of the rest of the package is costmetic.

The first half of the OR package is off-road oriented.

As someone above said, if you want to do a pile of serious mods, save your money and get the SR5. If you want to get a truck just for a lift/tires and some other simple OR mods and just take your truck wheeling, get the OR. If you want a truck without the OR features and don't plan to do many mods, and your primary just is around town with light offroading, and you want the painted pieces, get the sport.

I'm not knocking the sport at all (ok maybe a little, sorry). It just has a diff purpose. If you're going to pay the extra money for a sport/offroad package, consider your intended use, that's all I'm saying.

16. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    It just might be that so many get the Sport not knowing what the Off Road has... They just see one with a scoop and racey looking trim, and the other (Off Road) looks pretty plain-jane.

I know more Sport owners than OR owners, and they tell me they had no idea about A-TRAC (the salesmen don't know crap it seems)... If they could do it over, Off Road TRD for sure!

You see you can add colored mirrors and a fake hood scoop easily to an Off Road. You cannot add a hydraulic brake booster, A-TRAC, rear locker, etc. easily to a Sport!

This is indeed for making the Tacoma all purpose... daily driver and good off roader. Sure, if it is only an off road toy, then get a cheaper SR-5 or base and add all the aftermarket stuff you want.

But, to finance a machine we can use on or off the road... for the bucks, and for not needing after market add ons to go places... the Off Road 4WD is the ticket!

17. Mar 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Get the TRD offroad package. When I bought my tacoma I wish I had bought the TRD package instead of the standard model. I would have saved myself a bunch of money and time... Haha.

18. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    says the frustrated sport owner.

Saying the sport package is ''for look purpose only'' is not shitting on the sport model. It's correctly informing the guy who asks the question. It's ok if the guy wants LOOK only.

And I have not seen anywhere in his message that the OP will heavily mod his vehicle, so O/R package is THE best deal for him.

And TRAC, ATRAC + hydraulic brake booster is not only good in off-roading, it excels in snowy condition (in 4HI especially), way more than my last standard TRAC equipped tacoma.

19. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You guys also always assume that people only purchase Tacomas to offroad them .

The DCLB Sport fits my needs , I needed the longbox for work and the 4x4 gets me everywhere I need to go .

I don't feel poser for my decision nor am I a " mall crawler " .

20. Mar 27, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    everyone who has a hood scoop is a mall crawler you know that :D

Products Discussed in

To Top