1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Options for Towing

Discussion in 'Towing' started by TrailMoose, May 7, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    TrailMoose

TrailMoose [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Eugene, OR
    I thought I was going to get a 4 cylinder, but then my wife mentioned a trailer...

Now, I am trying to figure out what Tacoma to get to pull a small trailer like the Aerolite 195QB (GVWR 5,400 lb).

I need a Double Cab, the Towing Package, and it has to be Red. :)

If those of you who tow could give me your opinions on which of the following would be better than others for towing, or if it doesn't make any difference:
    1. 4x2 vs 4x4
    2. SR5, TRD Sport, or TRD Off Road
    3. Long Bed vs Short Bed
    If there are other "must have" options, let me know.

When not towing I'll be driving to trailheads on gravel roads, hauling the occassional load of bark mulch, and bringing home big things from Home Depot and Costco.

Thanks in advance.
    Reading this forum is teaching me alot.

TrailMoose

PS. If you prefer, you can PM me.

2. May 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I think the most important would be towing package. Ive always thought the longer wheel base would be better to tow, but I have never tested this or tried any other tacoma...

3. May 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mid-Travel 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    Kings Mid Travel, BAMF bed rack, RTT, dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    4x4 might help you get out of certain situations, but if we're talking strictly towing, it does help with getting boats out of wet ramps

SR5, TRD Sport or Offroad: If you plan to keep the suspension stock, the TRD Sport and Off Road shocks are better than the SR5. The suspension will help your truck handle the tongue weight of your trailer.

Short Bed vs Long Bed: Won't necessarily effect the towing, however a long bed does weigh more, which might affect your GVWR

4. May 8, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100 CO's @ 1.75" - Icon UCA's - TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Flowmaster 50 Duals(RIP...back to stock for now) - Avid Offroad Arctic Bar - Avid Offroad Nerf Bars - Leer 550 Bedcover - AVS Hood Protector(RIP) - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    2 or 4WD depends on you, your location, and your intended use. Not necessary for just towing.

4.0 L for sure.

Truck beds are never too big....long bed.

Plan on adding something to your suspension, e.g. air bags, heavier springs, etc., as all models are built too light for towing/hauling from the factory IMO.

5. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    cdmason23435

cdmason23435 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4x4
    SuperSprings, DRL mod, iPOD add-on and a bug deflector that adds at least .001 HP
    Hi,

If I was going out today to buy a new Taco to replace my '06 TRD (Off Road) DC 4x4 I would buy a long bed 4x4 (or even consider a Tundra);)

Weight is something you have to be concerned about and the additional running gear for the 4x4 capability adds weight to your GWVR as well as your GCVWR. I'll take that added weight though for the peace of mind of the 4x4 capability

The wheelbase on the long bed trucks is 14 inches longer than than the short bed. When towing a longer wheelbase is more stable than a shorter wheel base. Some days I wish I had that additional bed length as well.

Whatever you decide you'll be OK

6. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    your talking about a camper and so you will be camping as well as towing. Get the 6 without question. I prefer a 4x4 and a long bed is better for towing as well as taking your gear, firewood, grill and whatever else you might take. The extra lenght is key. Good luck

To Top