1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which retrofit?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by boltstaco, Mar 22, 2013.

1. boltstaco

boltstaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    oceanside, ca
    Vehicle:
    panty droppa
    AFE intake, 3" spacer w blocks in rear
    Finally sourced some used oem headlights and now i need help on which kit? I know i want 50w kit but which. Either fx-r stg3 or morimoto mini d2s? i know fxr has better performanmce at least i assume, but how much better? And from what i read it seems its easier to do the morimoto mini d2s and it is cheaper. Just need ur opinions for those running those kits.

2. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I was thinking 50W when I started my retrofit journey, but was talked out of it. Not a huge increase in light, but a large increase in issues w/ melting.

Just something to think about.

3. AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I am looking and had the same thoughts as OP...

After researching, I found that you can go for a 35w with a good bulb and get more light...here is what I'm planning along with BHLM. Right now I'm stuck to see how I want to do my BHLM...paint the bowls, or leave black...

Kit: FX-R Stage 3
    Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five
    Bulbs: Osram D2S CBI 5000k
    Halos: None
    Shrouds: Apollo

To Top