1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which RV do I purchase?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by tcbe6472, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    tcbe6472

tcbe6472 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Lake Jackson,TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Getting ready to purchase a travel trailer and I am having a pretty hard time with which one to purchase. I have a 2009 Double Cab, TRD Offroad, V6 Prerunner with the factory installed Tow Package. I have a family of 4 so having one with bunks is a must. Any and all help on this is very much appreciated. Please post some photos as well..

2. Jun 7, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 SR5 V6
    Garage Fabbed +2 LT, FOA 2.5 RR w/ Comp Adj, 35 XMTs on Level 8s, 50T Spring Under w/ 13" Shackles, Elite Front Bumper, AP Rear, Retrofitted, Wicked Flow, Custom Roof Rack, Custom Sliders, Custom Scratches, 12" JL and an Audiopipe amp.
    If i were you i would go and visit my local trailer sales lot. They should be able to help you quite a bit by showing you all their different models. :)

3. Jun 7, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    Gingrbredman

Gingrbredman Love the Tick!

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport 4WD
    I have been looking for a TT as well. I have spent the last couple of weeks visiting my local dealers to see the different models. It has been very helpful talking to the sales guys and getting all the information I can.

I also have a family of 4, and need the bunks. I also have a 2009 double cab so I need something light so I can pull it without having any troubles. Here are a couple I have narrowed it down to which has bunks, and is light weight.

Each of the following have about the same floor plan (King bed slides out the back, and double bunks up front), and all weight in about 4,400 lbs dry weight (+ or - a few depending on the model), and about 400 lbs tongue weight. The following ones I have been looking at are all about 26' or so. Loaded up, none of these should be above 5,500 max weight. Talking to a lot of dealers, and reading a lot on this forum, and RV.net tells me that with a good weight distribution hitch, sway control, and a brake controller, we should be fine pulling
    these.

Typical layout:
    [​IMG]

Jayco 213.
    [​IMG]

Kodiak 220BHKS.
    [​IMG]

Surveyor 235
    [​IMG]

There is also an Aerolite version of these layouts, as well as the KZ Spree. It seems like all the manufacturers have this layout, so looking around at the one you like the most is probably the most helpful. Outback has a version as well, but the dry weight is much heavier than the ones I mentioned.

One thing I found though is some dealers will try and push you towards what they have on the lot, that you "can" pull. Sure, our max towing weight is 6,500 lbs. But that doesn't mean we need to get into a trailer that is 5,500 or so dry, only to find ourselves struggling to get where we are going. For the most part, most dealers have been real helpful.

Have fun shopping, I know we have!

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Crazyjack

Crazyjack New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    I have a 2010 Coleman ct250 it's 5000 dry it pulls easy no bunks though..we also have the double cab

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    Crusher 2

Crusher 2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Dbl cab,mostly stock
    Remember those dry weights do not include water (8.3 lbs/gallon), waste water in the holding tanks, propane (20 lbs cylinder actually weigh about 37 lbs), Food, clothing, people, dogs, BEER. All add up really quickly. Trailer manufacturers are notorius for understating the dry weights.

Due to relatively short wheel base of the truck you want sway control and weight distribution hitch (no tail wagging the dog). Electric brake controller a must have. The rear spring TSB made all the difference in how mine handled the trailer.

You wanna scare yourself? Load it all up and pull it across a CAT Scale. You'll wish youdidn't know!

Lot's of good info over at RV.net/forums. (my second favorite website)

6. Jun 8, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    guybmoto

guybmoto Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Costa Mesa, CA
    When I first started looking at travel trailers, my dad suggested, "It's not what you can tow, it's what you can stop."

[​IMG]

To Top