1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which setting do you use on your dSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by rb11701, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    SiRMarlon

SiRMarlon The Photo Ninja!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    Aperture, and shutter speed priority...are what I shoot in. I shoot manual for night/long exposure shots

2. Sep 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i usually shoot manual.

like i said in another thread you will get used to the lighting and the settings (Shutter speed, aperture, ISO) for said lighting.

3. Oct 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm not sure if this helps any of you guys, but thought I'd share since it's changed my thinking.

I'm very much rooted as an amateur who wishes he could be pro, but doesn't have the time due to other priorities. If I try to be an expert in everything, I'd just go crazy. I've never really taken a class, just tried to pay attention to people who knew more than me. Taking a class would be nice, but as I explained, I don't have time to do it.

I have a Canon XSi (I went cheap on the body), and I started with AV mode and manual ISO. Even with the camera controlling exposure, I'd be fiddling with knobs all the time. A few weeks ago I read this. My interpretation of the article was that I'm focusing entirely on the wrong aspects - I need to be less intent on the camera and more intent on my subject matter.

I haven't had the chance to put these methods into practice yet, but I set up the camera with

-P mode,
    -Auto ISO,
    -and I start with an Exposure Compensation of -2/3. I take a shot and adjust the Exposure Compensation up or down.

From the few photos taken in the front yard, it's worth trying. I don't think about the settings at all, and spend more time looking at what I'm shooting. I'm faster, and more interested in composition and making the photo more interesting. If this method doesn't work for me, I can always turn the dial back to AV or manual, such as when I'm doing something in low light or I have plenty of time.

4. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    I shoot in Auto ALL the time:rolleyes:

5. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    JayARRGHH

JayARRGHH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    285/75/R16 Eldarado MTZ, Alpine CDE-102 Deck, DIY Snorkel, 2" Spacer Lift, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB, Custom over head console w/ map lights, CB Mount, and external CB speaker, 2 12" Kenwood Subwoofers, 300 Watt Alpine Amp, Alpine 3" lift 500# capacity
    Manual. Always.

6. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I always shoot in RAW (sort of like built in insurance, just in case you mess up the shot). 90% in aperture priority. sometimes in shutter priority and rarely in manual. if you're using manual do a test shot in auto first to see what the camera has used for settings then you can use that to base your manual settings on.

7. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:54 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    I have yet to own a D-SLR, but with my point and shoot (Canon G11, waiting for the 5D Mark III), I usually shoot in manual. When shooting in manual, I always opt to save in RAW+jpeg.

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Depends what I am shooting. If I am shooting an off road event or a drag race or something I will most likely use shutter priority. If I am shooting a portrait or something like that I will use aperture priority. If I have time to set up a shot, or Im working with a tricky shot where I am wanting to expose for an object that is not in the metering circle I will use manual. And I usually always shoot RAW

9. Nov 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    What makes you want a 5D? If you shoot a lot of action and fast mooving subjects you may want to consider the 7D

10. Nov 1, 2010 at 11:34 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    If you want it...at least say it right. 5DMkII
    Do you know what advantages come from a Full frame camera? Because that's a BIG jump from a p&s to a FF DSLR....
    Besides the 5DMkII is garbage for anything but portraits....and I have noticed a lot that the focus screen just pops out... (a lot). Even though its an easy fix. Its annoying. I wouldn't want my 3000.00 camera to be breaking like that.

You might be better off getting something in your own caliber...like a t1 or t2I....jmo

11. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    JanBoothius

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    I am waiting for the 5D Mark THREE. Not the II/2. There is still speculation regarding release date. I can wait.

I am aware of the 7D. My main passion is extended exposure/low light/night shots, thus the 5D series.

Also, if I am going SLR, I would like to be able to use the lens to its fullest potential, thus my great desire for a full frame camera.

12. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:25 AM
    JanBoothius

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    PS: Thanks, I'm glad that you, somehow, know my "caliber".

Goodbye.

13. Nov 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This was my point. The 5D is a stellar camera with great IQ but the auto focus is terrible and slow. But if you are doing a lot of protrait/still life it is probably the camera for you. But then again I agree that a t2i is very capable with some good glass

14. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    ser240z

ser240z Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Monterey Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro 6spd
    I always shoot in auto. I just don't have the time to figure out how to use my camera to its full potential right now. I would like to though.

Sounds like I'm an outsider here though, I bought a Sony.

How would shooting in RAW help if I screw up the picture?

Thanks
    Scott

15. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    When you shoot in jpeg mode all the photo processing is done in camera according to your picture style settings.

When you shoot RAW, all you are doing is storing the sensor information on your memory card, not a photo. Then you will do your processing on the computer. With RAW you can recover photos that are way under/over exposed, you can make much better color/saturation changes to the photo white balance color temp. adjustmet, etc.

RAW gives you much more flexibility. Also, if you were to batch process your photos with the same settings your camera would give in jpeg you would get less compression - larger file size, meaning you will have a higher quality print.

Here is an example of a shot that was way under exposed and saved because of what you can do with a RAW photo:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=11177546&postcount=2647

16. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
  17. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Yaaaa....sign up to and you can venture in the glamour section....not to shabby imo! :drool:

18. Nov 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    well since you have a p&s. im just assuming. the jump from a p&s to FF is huge. why do you need a FF camera?

19. Nov 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    He said

However, I'm seeing this as an issue of extremes. If you tow a small trailer, there's no need to buy a semi truck.

Many great photographers have very basic gear and focus on the composition of the shot rather than worry about teching-out. I went to a presentation where a pro was introducing her book that was taken entirely with a russian disposable camera from the 60's. It had awful focal range, it was highly grainy, but the pictures were compelling and it got the point across.

That guy Ken Rockwell that we are all referencing? He carries a pocket camera for a ton of his shots:

I think you need to weigh what it is your current camera doesn't do and solve that, rather than expect you need the very very best and then possibly having the situation where you wonder why your shots aren't giving you the return on investment you expected.

20. Nov 2, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    ocabj

ocabj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica Tacoma Standard Cab
    I own both the 5D Mark II and 7D.

While the AF on the 5D Mark II isn't ideal for sports, saying it's garbage for anything but portraits is pretty harsh. You can certainly use it for other shots besides portraits. As far as the focusing screen popping out all the time, you're the only person I've heard complain about that. That's something you should have called Canon about.

Going back to the AF system on the 5D Mark II, it's not horrible. If it were so bad, no one would be using it. If I can shoot at f/1.2 with the 5D Mark II handheld (yes, a portrait) and still maintain the focal plane I need, then the AF is working just fine. I do agree that the focusing system has issues in low light whereas the 7D wouldn't hiccup in the same light, you can easily counter this with AF assist, using a Speedlight with flash off or studio strobes with modeling lights.

JanBoothius: As far as the Canon 5D Mark III, don't rely on the Internet rumors otherwise you'll be waiting forever. If you need the camera now, just get the 5D Mark II. When the 5D Mark III comes, sell the Mark II (or keep it as a backup) and consider the difference in your sale price and the retail price of the Mark III as your 'rental' on the body.

Products Discussed in

To Top